• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

New to rugby

B

Brandt

I am becoming interested in rugby but do not know where to start. I was wondering what the big leagues are and when seasons start/end for club and international leagues? I prefer the most popular leagues as I live in America so I will have to watch the matches online on sites like justinTV.

Also if anyone can suggest some good books/ebooks on the game/history/rules of rugby it would be much appreciated.

I am looking for videos of past rugby matches as well if there are any sites that sell the videos.

Thanks,
Brandt

I claim this man on behalf of all Northern Hemisphere posters!

Rugby books are hard to come by and I'm reluctant to recommend any from one particular country. Get familiar with the competitions, the teams and they go from there.

If your looking for something that allows you to see rugby as we all think it should be seen, try to get your hands on the Living with the Pride DVD from this years Lions tour.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MMGUwRefEuY&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MMGUwRefEuY&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

I havent seen it, but they are usually fantastic fly on the wall documentaries.

As for teams and competitions. Well the problem is that North of the Equator (thats where me and you live, you have to remember that bit) we play rugby, South of the equator they play a girly version or rugby called the Super 14 (someti8mes 12 somtimes 15, always girly). it may look similar but they dont tackle. You see its like a non-contact version of Rugby. I'd stay away from that if I was you.

Now north of the equator where the water is pure the women are better looking (except for Birmingham and Athlone) lives a man called Brian O'Driscoll competing in a tournament called the Heineken Cup with his club, and the 6 nations (they only have three down south of the equator) with his country. The drama is amazing. I'd recommend that as a good starting place.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Nov 25 2009, 01:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I claim this man on behalf of all Northern Hemisphere posters![/b]
No need, he's American, therefore Irish (just like 99% of other Americans, especially around mid-march time :p )

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Nov 25 2009, 07:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I claim this man on behalf of all Northern Hemisphere posters!

Rugby books are hard to come by and I'm reluctant to recommend any from one particular country. Get familiar with the competitions, the teams and they go from there.

If your looking for something that allows you to see rugby as we all think it should be seen, try to get your hands on the Living with the Pride DVD from this years Lions tour.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MMGUwRefEuY&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MMGUwRefEuY&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

I havent seen it, but they are usually fantastic fly on the wall documentaries.

As for teams and competitions. Well the problem is that North of the Equator (thats where me and you live, you have to remember that bit) we play rugby, South of the equator they play a girly version or rugby called the Super 14 (someti8mes 12 somtimes 15, always girly). it may look similar but they dont tackle. You see its like a non-contact version of Rugby. I'd stay away from that if I was you.

Now north of the equator where the water is pure the women are better looking (except for Birmingham and Athlone) lives a man called Brian O'Driscoll competing in a tournament called the Heineken Cup with his club, and the 6 nations (they only have three down south of the equator) with his country. The drama is amazing. I'd recommend that as a good starting place.[/b]

Thanks for the help. I will try to find living with the pride that will work for me(My dvd does not play PAL). I also will check out living with the lions which seems to be similar idea just from 1997.

I am a bit confused as far as the north/south equator comparison. Are there leagues south of equator that do tackle and some that do not? The all blacks are south of the equator and still tackle correct?

jus wach the clip the amount of times ive seen POC shout f**k on dvds like that is beond count

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Brandt @ Nov 25 2009, 02:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I am a bit confused as far as the north/south equator comparison. Are there leagues south of equator that do tackle and some that do not? The all blacks are south of the equator and still tackle correct?[/b]

Its complicated. Their international sides tend to tackle but in the club competition tackling seems to be optional. I dont understand it myself and a lot of Southern Hemisphere posters tend to deny it, but you see you cant trust anything they say about rugby anyhoo. I'd seek out a Brazilian if I were you. They are the only ones you can trust to be honest.

I see there are a bunch of matches this weekend any specific ones I should watch?

Ireland hammering South Africa would be good but I have high hopes for the France vs New Zealand match. I'll definately be watching both (going to one)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Nov 25 2009, 02:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Brandt @ Nov 25 2009, 02:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am a bit confused as far as the north/south equator comparison. Are there leagues south of equator that do tackle and some that do not? The all blacks are south of the equator and still tackle correct?[/b]

Its complicated. Their international sides tend to tackle but in the club competition tackling seems to be optional. I dont understand it myself and a lot of Southern Hemisphere posters tend to deny it, but you see you cant trust anything they say about rugby anyhoo. I'd seek out a Brazilian if I were you. They are the only ones you can trust to be honest.
[/b][/quote]

And Uruguaians!!

Has anybody seen that lions dvd? Is it good?

Yeh the Living with the pride DVD is good. Not as good as the '97 Living with the Lions one, but quite close. You really aget a chance to see who the jokers are. For instance Powell, O'Callaghan and Euan Murray seem like big laughs. Wheras you hardly see the likes of Shane Williams or Brion O'Driscoll behind the scenes. Looked like there was alot of fun to be had, and everyone mixed well.

Edit: stop confusing the poor guy Logorrhea...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Brandt @ Nov 25 2009, 04:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

You might wanna sit down for this one.

You have just been brain washed by an Irish leprechaun who claims to be from Guam.

Take a second to take that in...

OK, it's a pity he/she has brought that way of looking at rugby already but now for the truth:

There are 2 major annual International competitions, the Six Nations & the Tri-Nations. Tackling is aloud in ANY rugby.
These comps consist of: (#current world ranking)

Six Nations:
England (#7)
France (#4)
Ireland (#37)
Italy (#12)
Scotland (#9)
Wales (#6)

Tri-Nations:
Australia (#3)
New Zealand (aka The All Blacks) (#1)
South Africa (#2)

In layman's terms the Six Nations represents the Northern Hemisphere (Europe more specifically), whilst the Tri-Nations represents the Southern Hemisphere. There is this certain rivalry between these 2 comps because they are the 2 major forces in rugby.
However once you look at the world rankings and successes during the world cup this rival proves shallow.

World Cup winners:
1987 - New Zealand
1991 - Australia
1995 - South Africa
1999 - Australia
2003 - England
2007 - South Africa

So that's 5 WC wins to the Southern Hemisphere teams and a solidarity 1 for the Northern Hemisphere teams.

OK so now you have the general foundation of where quality rugby is I can move to domestic and Inter-continental tournaments.

There are 2 major Inter-continental/country club tournaments:

Heineken Cup (NH)
Super 14 (SH)

The Heineken Cup is a knock-out cup tournament which consists of the best teams from the domestic comps of: England (Guinness Premiership); Celtic nations aka Wales, Scotland & Ireland (Magners League); France (Top 14); Italy (Super 10)

The Super 14 (soon be 15) is an inter-continental league which consists of the best teams from: Australia, South Africa & New Zealand.

That's basically what you need to know for now. Watch some vids on YouTube and see which teams you like and take it from there.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steve-o @ Nov 25 2009, 03:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Brandt @ Nov 25 2009, 04:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You might wanna sit down for this one.

You have just been brain washed by an Irish leprechaun who claims to be from Guam.

Take a second to take that in...

OK, it's a pity he/she has brought that way of looking at rugby already but now for the truth:

There are 2 major annual International competitions, the Six Nations & the Tri-Nations. Tackling is aloud in ANY rugby.
These comps consist of: (#current world ranking)

Six Nations:
England (#7)
France (#4)
Ireland (#37)
Italy (#12)
Scotland (#9)
Wales (#6)

Tri-Nations:
Australia (#3)
New Zealand (aka The All Blacks) (#1)
South Africa (#2)

In layman's terms the Six Nations represents the Northern Hemisphere (Europe more specifically), whilst the Tri-Nations represents the Southern Hemisphere. There is this certain rivalry between these 2 comps because they are the 2 major forces in rugby.
However once you look at the world rankings and successes during the world cup this rival proves shallow.

World Cup winners:
1987 - New Zealand
1991 - Australia
1995 - South Africa
1999 - Australia
2003 - England
2007 - South Africa

So that's 5 WC wins to the Southern Hemisphere teams and a solidarity 1 for the Northern Hemisphere teams.

OK so now you have the general foundation of where quality rugby is I can move to domestic and Inter-continental tournaments.

There are 2 major Inter-continental/country club tournaments:

Heineken Cup (NH)
Super 14 (SH)

The Heineken Cup is a knock-out cup tournament which consists of the best teams from the domestic comps of: England (Guinness Premiership); Celtic nations aka Wales, Scotland & Ireland (Magners League); France (Top 14); Italy (Super 10)

The Super 14 (soon be 15) is an inter-continental league which consists of the best teams from: Australia, South Africa & New Zealand.

That's basically what you need to know for now. Watch some vids on YouTube and see which teams you like and take it from there.
[/b][/quote]

:bana: :bana: :bana: :bana: :bana: :bana: :dance3: :dance3: :dance3: :dance3: :dance3: :dance3: :dance3:

Ok, enough of this Hemesphere cock waving competition you guys.

Steve-O has put forward alot of what you need to know, but has put his SH bias on it.

The 6 Nations and Tri Nations are quality cometitions. The Tri Nations obviously has the benefit of having the 3 best teams in the world competing in it, however it can get a little boring (especially for a neutral). That's kinda inevitable when there's only 3 teams competing. There's usually a big emphasis on running rugby, although SA at the moment are playing quite a conservative brand of rugby.

The 6 Nations is has alot more variaty to it. Since there's 6 tams competing, and only playing each other once, it makes for a more interesting competion overall imo. The quality of rugby is sometimes slightly worse than the Tri Nations, but it's interesting to see the different styles of play from the different nations. France, Wales and Ireland traditionally play an open flowing brand of rugby, wheras Scotland, England and Italy play a more forward orientated game. It's usually a very competative competition, that comes down to the last game to determine a winner (last few minutes occasionally).

Try and watch some clips from both if you can.

I'll leave it there for now.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Brandt @ Nov 25 2009, 02:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I see there are a bunch of matches this weekend any specific ones I should watch?[/b]
Wales V Australia will probably be the best of the weekend

Ireland v South Africa has the potential to be great (so i'd watch that as well :p ) but recently SA have been playing a predominately kicking game, which can make for boring viewing, but Ireland has some of the best backs in the world, so could have some good running as well.

Basically, watch those two games :p

Hi, I see you're in the US. What city/state, and what club are you playing with?
I'd like to help you get more connected to the international rugby scene.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (O'Rothlain @ Nov 25 2009, 11:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Hi, I see you're in the US. What city/state, and what club are you playing with?
I'd like to help you get more connected to the international rugby scene.[/b]

Denver Colo. but I do not play rugby. I know denver has a club called barbarians and I would love to get involved myself but i do not have close to the build. I play football(soccer) myself so I assume I do not possess the stregnth needed, at least at this point in my life.

Also thanks guys for all the help, I am starting to understand. I am loving all the competition between NH and SH. Now i have to just start following and pick club and team to support.

Ill make sure to check out the matches you guys suggested. Are there any sites besides justin TV and atdhe that stream matches?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Brandt @ Nov 25 2009, 11:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (O'Rothlain @ Nov 25 2009, 11:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Denver Colo. but I do not play rugby. I know denver has a club called barbarians and I would love to get involved myself but i do not have close to the build. I play football(soccer) myself so I assume I do not possess the stregnth needed, at least at this point in my life.

Also thanks guys for all the help, I am starting to understand. I am loving all the competition between NH and SH. Now i have to just start following and pick club and team to support.

Ill make sure to check out the matches you guys suggested. Are there any sites besides justin TV and atdhe that stream matches?
[/b][/quote]
Denver Barbarians is one of the best club rugby teams in the US. I encourage you to go out and get involved. Don't discredit yourself because of your size. Rugby has room for people of all sizes, shapes and fitness/strength levels. I would send a email stating your interest to this address: [email protected] and just give it a shot.
I'm in the DFW area Texas. I spent the last 2 years coaching a university club in Oklahoma (University of Central Oklahoma). I've played for almost 12 years now, and love it.
Send me an email to [email protected] and I'll get you connected with some rugby to watch.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Brandt @ Nov 25 2009, 05:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (O'Rothlain @ Nov 25 2009, 11:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

myp2p.eu then click on live sports, then click on rugby, it'll have most if not all televised games from around the world on there

Latest posts