• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

New to the forum

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/N4vf8N6GpdM?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed>

Edit: Damn and arse, who removed the embed feature? http://youtu.be/N4vf8N6GpdM

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/N4vf8N6GpdM?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed>

Edit: Damn and arse, who removed the embed feature? http://youtu.be/N4vf8N6GpdM

Try video tags?

Last edited by a moderator:
No, I don't think you ticked Mite off ... I think he was just trying to get a bite out of you ... I get the whole cricket thing - I enjoy it, but the most entertaining thing that most Canadians find about it, is me, trying to explain the rules :)

I have kinda got into the Hockey already ... I support the local team (the Edmonton Oilers), but I find it a "character building" experience ... as the season progresses, the fans seem to worry about winning too many games, as they'll miss out on the first draft pick ... I can't really relate to this ... I also follow Canadian Football a bit, but only off and on to see if the Eskimos can beat the Ticats (one of my friends on here is a Ticats supporter, so a little bit of rivalry) ... also trying to get up to speed with the NFL, but that might take me a while.

The channel I get my Rugby fix on is Sportnet World, which took over from Setanta. It shows quite a few games, plus Rugby League (which I don't really watch), and lots of Soccer (which I don't watch at all)
LOL, trying to take a bite out of me? His teeth never penetrated my wallet pocket. Then again he's English & not destined to have a descent set of choppers to begin with. Maybe that's what all that stiff upper lip broo ha ha is all about, LOL! LOL. It's fun. He sounds like my sister, so it's a familiar game. I laugh, she turns red, etc. It's all in fun. Took me aback at first, but then I told him it was like talking to Mr. Bean. LOL.

Anyhow, yeah, hockey is Awesome. Wayne Gretzky got his start in Edmonton, as did Mark Messier (My favorite hockey player of all time) I was an avid NY Rangers Fan when I lived in Connecticut (7 hrs south of the Quebec line) I love hockey, minor league, majors, college, I love a game.

The channel I get is Universal Sports & it's basically this channel that has the major rugby events around the world, Aussie rules football, etc. Lots of cricket though. So I have to select things to record when they're on. Thank goodness for DVR's. I'm going to be transferring to Clemson University in a year (did 12 yrs in the navy before college) & I'm going to see if I can walk on their rugby team. They're all skinny, lol. It's different at the college level, they're all cross trained athletes from other sports, football players that didn't make it or soccer players, etc. Heck, I played lacrosse in school for 4 years, so maybe I have a shot, LOL!

I have seen a few replays of Canadian football. It was wild seeing a 55 yard line. My first thought was, SHEESH, that's a huge field! Europe ha a league as well. And that to me is cool because we have a sport the world sort of desires. I can't imagine it ever being as big as soccer / cricket / rugby across the internat'l community, but at least they're playing. It's funny watching American football because when I watch it, the guy that's tackled doesn't pass the ball back in the ruck. I see a ruck everytime. Anyway, the USA Tomahawks beat Canada in game 1 of the Colonial Cup in the AMNRL. (American National Rugby League) It's our 1st league ever. It's semi pro, & some games are played in high school stadiums, but it's slowly growing, so I try to talk about it as much as I can. When people ask me what I'd do if I won the lottery, I tell them I'd make the rugby league as big as major league baseball.

LOL, trying to take a bite out of me? His teeth never penetrated my wallet pocket. Then again he's English & not destined to have a descent set of choppers to begin with. Maybe that's what all that stiff upper lip broo ha ha is all about, LOL! LOL. It's fun. He sounds like my sister, so it's a familiar game. I laugh, she turns red, etc. It's all in fun. Took me aback at first, but then I told him it was like talking to Mr. Bean. LOL.

Anyhow, yeah, hockey is Awesome. Wayne Gretzky got his start in Edmonton, as did Mark Messier (My favorite hockey player of all time) I was an avid NY Rangers Fan when I lived in Connecticut (7 hrs south of the Quebec line) I love hockey, minor league, majors, college, I love a game.

The channel I get is Universal Sports & it's basically this channel that has the major rugby events around the world, Aussie rules football, etc. Lots of cricket though. So I have to select things to record when they're on. Thank goodness for DVR's. I'm going to be transferring to Clemson University in a year (did 12 yrs in the navy before college) & I'm going to see if I can walk on their rugby team. They're all skinny, lol. It's different at the college level, they're all cross trained athletes from other sports, football players that didn't make it or soccer players, etc. Heck, I played lacrosse in school for 4 years, so maybe I have a shot, LOL!

I have seen a few replays of Canadian football. It was wild seeing a 55 yard line. My first thought was, SHEESH, that's a huge field! Europe ha a league as well. And that to me is cool because we have a sport the world sort of desires. I can't imagine it ever being as big as soccer / cricket / rugby across the internat'l community, but at least they're playing. It's funny watching American football because when I watch it, the guy that's tackled doesn't pass the ball back in the ruck. I see a ruck everytime. Anyway, the USA Tomahawks beat Canada in game 1 of the Colonial Cup in the AMNRL. (American National Rugby League) It's our 1st league ever. It's semi pro, & some games are played in high school stadiums, but it's slowly growing, so I try to talk about it as much as I can. When people ask me what I'd do if I won the lottery, I tell them I'd make the rugby league as big as major league baseball.
Navy?

Does that mean you were stationed at some point, near my beloved Baltimore​ Ravens? :D

Navy?

Does that mean you were stationed at some point, near my beloved Baltimore​ Ravens? :D
No, I was stationed between the New England Patriots and the NY Giants / Jets. I was stationed in Groton, Connecticut. By near, meaning about a 6 hour drive? eh...yeah, I guess. I grew up a Patriots fan my entire life. Even back when pats fans were ashamed to talk about football. We'd avoid the conversation as though a cultural taboo, lol. TRUE pats fans never talk smack. We're too scared to. We know we're ALWAYS teetering on dynamic perfection and disaster each and every game. When it's disaster, it becomes not just a loss, it is a form of art studied for years to come, LOL! That's a pats fan. The band wagon guys, don't mind them. They didn't grow up in the whole upbringing of it all, LOL!

Now when I watch football, it's weird because I had this buddy of mine, an aussie native (killed a year ago) we were best buds in the Navy, went outside the wire together on patrols, deployed overseas together, etc. He was HUGE into rugby & he said always back your native team. Well that was easy for me being a Pats fan. There when the chips are down & when the superbowl rings come raining in. So I have been watching the AMNRL, the Eagles, & some international games of interest. (7's tourneys, shield tourneys, Springboks, All Blacks, maybe some sharks, eels, tigers, US vs Canada, etc.) He got me into it & when I watch NFL games, when a guy gets tackled I'm always thinking I'm seeing a ruck. Football isn't the same for me anymore, lol. I'm like, "if they just take off the pads & grow some wings!"

I think I'm one of the few yanks you'll come across that can say the Kamate haka. I was so in awe of that when I first saw it, I had to learn it. I'm nowhere close to being kiwi, but there's something innately human about the haka that brings up "the man" in ya (wherever he is) & gets you in the mood to knock heads together. I don't know the movements, but I know how it goes & think it is the coolest thing I've ever seen. What's nice to see is the white kiwis doing it. It belongs to them as well. I like that. It's cohesive. Anyhow, yeah. Sometimes I think when the All Blacks do the haka, it sounds like they leave out a ka ora. That or they say it fast, but I think it's the 1st one. I'll be watching them play the springboks this weekend. I'll be sure to turn the TV up when they do the Haka. It would be cool if some nation did some similar war dance in response. Some day if the US ever gets it together & gets to the level of playing them, I'd love to see an Apache dance or a Sioux war song done in response.

Here's a war dance from the local tribe in my area, the Cherokee. Not as many people in the kiwi hakas, it was a demonstration, but it can get much larger than that. Reminded me of the haka. Check it out, tell me what you think. It's more song-like than shouted, but there is shouting.

Sorry about your mate. Even worse that it's by a drunk driver.

I myself haven't flown to watch a game. But I certainly will do if I'm ever holidaying around an international rugby match. In regards to adopted countries, Argentina/Canada are the non-AB teams I support, and Fiji as well.

Also, wasn't there supposed to be a test match in Denver sometime?

Yeah I don't get that in the NFL either. Last year, Dolphins fans were pretty ****** after they lost out on the "Suck for Luck" campaign.

In regards to following an NFL team geographically close to you; there's the Seattle Seahawks, the Minnesota Vikings, or the Green Bay Packers.

I suggest the Packers.

EDIT:

THIS is what I HATE about American sports:
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8...ert-griffin-iii-covering-nike-logo-undershirt

Fiji played a good one against American Samoa not too long ago. Yeah, the US Eagles were playing team Canada in Calgary (lost) Played Georgia in Colorado (won) and played Italy in Houston (lost, 30:10, we got 2 red cards. crap!) We're off until November then we play over seas against Tonga, Russia (muah ha ha!!!) and Romania. Should be some tough games ahead. Hopefully the Eagles play smarter than they did against Italy. Losing to Canada sucked. Hopefully Todd Clever can get things together & tighten the screws in the next year gearing up for world cup qualifiers.

Too bad about that whole nike logo thing, yeah, that puts a sour taste in any fan's mouth. I second the G-Bay Packers. I wouldn't want to live w. the curse of being a Seahawks fan at all.

Dream on pal ... it's the mighty Esks all the way :)

Yeah, Little Guy got me involved in a picking comp, so I'm using the force to make my picks at the moment, while I get the hang of who should beat who :D

My wife is in the picking comp too (so she can't help me), and she supports the patriots, so I'm not sure whether becoming a Packers fan would be a good thing :)

Anyway, sorry to high jack your thread Jason ... Admartian, Little Guy, and Nick are all excellent guys, and it's always worth reading their posts ... I hope I didn't miss anybody that posted on your thread ... actually, they're all pretty good on here :)

No worries man, I was about to compliment your wife's good taste. ~in football teams, LOL. (I was born w. a Patriots ball cap on, :cool:)

No, I was stationed between the New England Patriots and the NY Giants / Jets. I was stationed in Groton, Connecticut. By near, meaning about a 6 hour drive? eh...yeah, I guess. I grew up a Patriots fan my entire life. Even back when pats fans were ashamed to talk about football. We'd avoid the conversation as though a cultural taboo, lol. TRUE pats fans never talk smack. We're too scared to. We know we're ALWAYS teetering on dynamic perfection and disaster each and every game. When it's disaster, it becomes not just a loss, it is a form of art studied for years to come, LOL! That's a pats fan. The band wagon guys, don't mind them. They didn't grow up in the whole upbringing of it all, LOL!

Now when I watch football, it's weird because I had this buddy of mine, an aussie native (killed a year ago) we were best buds in the Navy, went outside the wire together on patrols, deployed overseas together, etc. He was HUGE into rugby & he said always back your native team. Well that was easy for me being a Pats fan. There when the chips are down & when the superbowl rings come raining in. So I have been watching the AMNRL, the Eagles, & some international games of interest. (7's tourneys, shield tourneys, Springboks, All Blacks, maybe some sharks, eels, tigers, US vs Canada, etc.) He got me into it & when I watch NFL games, when a guy gets tackled I'm always thinking I'm seeing a ruck. Football isn't the same for me anymore, lol. I'm like, "if they just take off the pads & grow some wings!"

I think I'm one of the few yanks you'll come across that can say the Kamate haka. I was so in awe of that when I first saw it, I had to learn it. I'm nowhere close to being kiwi, but there's something innately human about the haka that brings up "the man" in ya (wherever he is) & gets you in the mood to knock heads together. I don't know the movements, but I know how it goes & think it is the coolest thing I've ever seen. What's nice to see is the white kiwis doing it. It belongs to them as well. I like that. It's cohesive. Anyhow, yeah. Sometimes I think when the All Blacks do the haka, it sounds like they leave out a ka ora. That or they say it fast, but I think it's the 1st one. I'll be watching them play the springboks this weekend. I'll be sure to turn the TV up when they do the Haka. It would be cool if some nation did some similar war dance in response. Some day if the US ever gets it together & gets to the level of playing them, I'd love to see an Apache dance or a Sioux war song done in response.

Here's a war dance from the local tribe in my area, the Cherokee. Not as many people in the kiwi hakas, it was a demonstration, but it can get much larger than that. Reminded me of the haka. Check it out, tell me what you think. It's more song-like than shouted, but there is shouting.

Props mate. Yeah that's true, while we do have our issues with that (tbh, which nation with an immigrant history like that doesn't?) people generally do get together. At least in the metropolitan areas.

Other nations do do their own version (if they ahve one). Fiji, Samoa, Tonga all do.

Anywho, you're a Pats fan?! You must also really like Billy Cundiff and Lee Evans then... :p ;)

Props mate. Yeah that's true, while we do have our issues with that (tbh, which nation with an immigrant history like that doesn't?) people generally do get together. At least in the metropolitan areas.

Other nations do do their own version (if they ahve one). Fiji, Samoa, Tonga all do.

Anywho, you're a Pats fan?! You must also really like Billy Cundiff and Lee Evans then... :p ;)

Yeah, I've seen Madagascar do something as well. I was thinking in the off chance & reach the age of 120 years of age & we're finally playing the All Blacks & can do more than just play games that have low turnovers, low ball handling mistakes......we have low scores as well...lol We're a technical team, the fundamentals are there, we just haven't mastered the art of taking someone else's game & cramming it down their throat. We're tadpoles in a big pond. We'll get bigger over time. I just hope I live to see it, lol. I was thinking in the event we're good enough to play them, we could do a little dance, play a little rugby, & get down tonight :cool:

I stick with the organization through thick and thin. No fair-weather fan stuff for me. Bumps & bruises, shiney smiles & warts & all. It's my team. Just comes w. the territory. I'd like to see them play the Saints in the superbowl this year.

Here's The University of Hawaii Haka. If you're a Kiwi, you'd recognize it, it's Tika Tonu.

Latest posts