• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

NH Rugby Transfers

South Africans don't count as foreign players as they're entitled to work in the EU under some worker accord, one of the reasons Quins signed Mehrtens.

Anyone who has a trade agreement with the uk, such as SA, West indies and zimbabwe are allowed to work in a country with these agreements in place without a whim for a work permit. So the term used is the 'kolpak agreement', it is mainly used in cricketing playing nations but excludes AUS and NZ, as they were never an invadery part of the commonwealth.

Sorry to be so long winded.

BM

Originally posted by Black-Monday@Apr 26 2006, 05:23 AM
Anyone who has a trade agreement with the uk, such as SA, West indies and zimbabwe are allowed to work in a country with these agreements in place without a whim for a work permit. So the term used is the 'kolpak agreement', it is mainly used in cricketing playing nations but excludes AUS and NZ, as they were never an invadery part of the commonwealth.

BM
That's weird. One of the reasons that Frikkie Welsh left Bath was because he wouldn't have been granted an extension to his work permit, so he decided to return to SA.

Elsewhere, Vickery to Wasps confirmed, although it seems strange for a club to sign a player who may already be carrying a career-ending injury.

Originally posted by Boy@Apr 26 2006, 12:19 PM
Elsewhere, Vickery to Wasps confirmed, although it seems strange for a club to sign a player who may already be carrying a career-ending injury.
:bravo:

With any luck they'll turn into the new Saracens, signing players on reputation alone...

Well, they need a new prop so badly, it is a risk they are obviously willing to take.

Although, they could just have a look at the Argentina League. That is where Bristol took Contepomi from, and he hasn't done too badly now has he? Aregentina don't have too much trouble producing front-row beasts either.

Originally posted by harrison2468@Apr 26 2006, 07:22 PM
Aregentina don't have too much trouble producing front-row beasts either.
Freddie Mendez is testament to that. :p

:cheers:

Originally posted by Boy+Apr 26 2006, 11:19 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Black-Monday
@Apr 26 2006, 05:23 AM

BM
That's weird. One of the reasons that Frikkie Welsh left Bath was because he wouldn't have been granted an extension to his work permit, so he decided to return to SA.

Elsewhere, Vickery to Wasps confirmed, although it seems strange for a club to sign a player who may already be carrying a career-ending injury. [/b]
There is a stipulation to the rule, the person who partakes in kolplak forsakes any need to play for their own country, so they are temporarily english. This could lead to an english passport, so if a person has an idea of playing for their own country, they have to become overseas once again. I distincly remember reading that welsh decided to go to super 14, so couldn't be a kolpakker.

BM

That'll be why then. Frikkie was holding out hope that he would get a call up for the Springboks in time for the World Cup if he was playing back at home.

Ironically, he probably stood a better chance of getting to the World Cup if he stayed at Bath and qualified for England on residency.

Originally posted by gjohn85@Apr 27 2006, 01:09 AM
They could do with a decent Fly Half
I thought he was more of a full-back? :huh:

Or have I got that wrong?

Falcons release Finegan, Peanut-head and Paoletti

Having seen Finegan play against Bath at the start of the season, it was pretty clear that he was a) out of shape B) completely disinterested c) more lemon than Melon (to borrow a line from Stuart Barnes). At one point he was stood still on his own 10m line behind a Falcons ruck, was passed the ball, and simply hoofed it into the stand twenty yards away.

Walder's a surprise. They're placing a lot of faith in Toby Flood to be Jonny's sole understudy, unless they're hunting another ten.

Henry Paul f***s off back to rugby league with Quins RL. Was really worth the RFU spunking all that money on getting him, wasn't it? Farewell you utter, utter waste of time and money.

Originally posted by Boy@Apr 27 2006, 04:48 PM
Walder's a surprise. They're placing a lot of faith in Toby Flood to be Jonny's sole understudy, unless they're hunting another ten.
Agreed. He's very solid, if unspectacular, and has a habit of pinning teams back with excellent kicking when necessary.

Perhaps the shape of his head was starting to annoy Rob Andrew.

Leonelli has moved to the Warriors on a two year deal.

Sad to see him go, he's too good for the Warriors. Though it gives Webbo a chance, and I rate him very highly. So a back 3 of Webster, Southwell and Paterson for the Gunners next year.

Originally posted by SaintsFan_Webby+Apr 27 2006, 02:20 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-gjohn85
@Apr 27 2006, 01:09 AM
They could do with a decent Fly Half
I thought he was more of a full-back? :huh:

Or have I got that wrong? [/b]
Sorry I was trying to be clever & guess what position he was. I have never heard of him, so I went to google images & search for pics of him. The one pic I saw was him taking a goal kick, so I automatically thought of a fly half. I totally forgot about people in other positions taking goal kicks.

How many times have we ****** a league to union player

Iestyn Evans
Henry Paul
Andy Farrell

are just some examples, any others?

BM

what, iestyn harris is welsh, and if the point youre making is that all league to union players are flops, then what about jason robinson and lote tuqiri.

Latest posts