• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

No 8 of the 6N. Hairy Donkey?

L

Little Richardjohn

Imanol Harinordoquy must be favourite at the moment.
Who else is in the running? Some are even claiming he is the best No8 in the world.

There are some cracking 8s around at the moment. Harinordoquy has been brilliant, and Johnny Beattie has been absolutey superb soon (in my opinion very close to the Frenchman). Easter has impressed me a lot too, one of the few leaders in the England pack and takes the team forward.

Sergio Parisse is the best number eight in the world, even though he is injured. Harinordoquy has been playing very well and will be one of the few for player of the tournment.

Heaslip, while not as good as Harinodiquay, has been consistntly excellent for ages.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gavin @ Feb 21 2010, 02:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Sergio Parisse is the best number eight in the world, even though he is injured. Harinordoquy has been playing very well and will be one of the few for player of the tournment.[/b]
Shame about Parisse, not just for Italy.
But that's the patchy production line of pro rugby. It's not like this in ballet or opera.

Beattie has been absolutely phenomenal. Just as physical and fast as Harinordoquy but without any of the silly errors that have blotted what has been an exquisite French notebook this 6N.

If Beattie continues this form through the RWC and into 2013 (thats when the next Lions tour is, right?) he could be a Lion!

Lads, I agree Harinordoquy is playing excellent it is because it in a team that have been constantly going forward.

Like I believe if Heaslip or Easter (who is on form) were in French team they'd look out of this world to as they have when Ireland/England have been on front foot.

So I really can't say Harinordoquy is best 8 in world. Like Heaslip was World-class last year when Ireland were on front-foot and even now in poor team performance vs Italy and France (Shocking is only word I'll describe Ireland) Heaslip still performed well as he does consistently.

Like imagine Parisse in a team like Ireland or France. :eek:

Umm, enough with saying "best number 8 in the world", and try using "best number 8 in europe", to compare them with Southern Hemisphare number eights puts unfair expectations on them :p.

Exactly. Honestly, Spies seems to be the only one up there competing for 'best 8 in the world', and while I accept that So'oialo and Kankowski are good, they aren't better than Parisse, Heaslip or Harinordoquy in my mind...
Also, I honestly can't remember who's at 8 for the Aussies right now :(

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nickdnz @ Feb 21 2010, 09:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Umm, enough with saying "best number 8 in the world", and try using "best number 8 in europe", to compare them with Southern Hemisphare number eights puts unfair expectations on them :p.[/b]
What number 8 stands out in SH???

#1 8's in SH

South Africa - Pierre Spies - Is slightly over-rated and don't think he the best 8 in world.
NZ - Kieran Read - Not around long enough but doesn't look like worlds best.
Austrailia - Don't start me B)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (iWin @ Feb 21 2010, 10:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Exactly. Honestly, Spies seems to be the only one up there competing for 'best 8 in the world', and while I accept that So'oialo and Kankowski are good, they aren't better than Parisse, Heaslip or Harinordoquy in my mind...
Also, I honestly can't remember who's at 8 for the Aussies right now :([/b]

In my opinion, Spies and Parisse are a fair distance ahead of the rest at the moment. Big Rodney is past it and whilst Kankowski looks brilliant whenever I see him play, he seems to suffer from the same lapses in concentration that Harinordoquy does, where he'll have a mad 5 minutes and do something stupid.

Is Pocock an eightman? I seem to remember him playing there during the autumn but I could be wrong. Those were a few heavy days.

Wycliff Palu was the 8 for Australia in the AIs, don't know whether Pocock swtiched to 8 is palu was subbed off or anythign to that effect though

Number 8s who have a real impact on big international games and have done so consistently:

Imanol Harinordoquy, France
Jamie Heaslip, Ireland
Sergio Parisse, Italy
Pierre Spies, South Africa.

Kieran Ried plays 8 for the All Blacks, and is nowhere near as good as these guys. So'oialo was, but he was out of form in 2009. Brown and Palu don't get close for Australia. Ryan Jones I've always thought as overrated, and Beattie looks useful but not world class. Same with Easter. And I'm thinking of islanders... Tuilagi, Hala'ufia, Koyamaibole etc. who are all good players but again, not world class.

Which leaves, possibly, JM Fernandez and Rocky Elsom as possibilities. But since Elsom spends most of his life at 6 and I haven't seen Fernandez play for ages, neither make the list.

And that list, I'd say, is fairly even. They're all world class in their own way. Spies is ridiculously quick, Harinordoquy has insane handling skills, Heaslip is stacked and Parisse drops goals... and all of them are wonderful all-round athletes. Let's leave it at that.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Feb 22 2010, 08:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Parisse > The Southern Hemisphere[/b]

Dumb post.

Is there a more overated player in the world than Sergio Parisse?

His down under tour last year he was complete rubbish. Richard Brown and Palu dominated him and they aren't even the best no.8's in the SH.

The NH bias astounds me.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dale @ Feb 21 2010, 11:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Feb 22 2010, 08:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Dumb post.

His down under tour last year he was complete rubbish. Richard Brown and Palu dominated him and they aren't even the best no.8's in the SH.

The NH bias astounds me.
[/b][/quote]

Pillock

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dale @ Feb 21 2010, 11:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Feb 22 2010, 08:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Dumb post.

The NH bias astounds me.
[/b][/quote]

I didn;t know I prefered Italy to Australia but if you say I'm biased then I guess I am.

Parisse > Dale.

Latest posts