• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

North American Rugby League Begins In June

1617269167851.png

North American Rugby League Launches

March 31, 2021 - News Release
Our new North American professional rugby league competition launches today called the North American Rugby League. The 'NARL' will be a 14-team competition that will play its first round of games on the weekend of June 19 in Brooklyn and June 20 in Las Vegas.
Teams from across the States will compete in two conferences, the East Coast Conference comprising of the Atlanta Rhinos, Boston Thirteens, Brooklyn Kings, Cleveland Rugby League, New York Rugby League and Washington Cavalry. The West Coast Conference is made up of the Austin Armadillos, Las Vegas Blackjacks, Phoenix Venom, Portland Loggers, San Diego Swell and San Francisco Rush. Due to Covid-19 regulations, a 'Canada Cup' will be played between the Toronto Wolfpack and Ottawa Aces before both teams enter the East Coast Conference in 2022.
All games will be broadcast through the NARL's exclusive online streaming partner, SportsFlick. In 2021 due to Covid-19 regulations, all games will be played in a 'Single Venue' style that will see all teams in their respective conference play in one stadium on one day with no fans to keep everybody safe.
Speaking ahead of the launch, the NARL's Head of Operations, Robert Curtis, said "I'm delighted to introduce the North America Rugby League to rugby league fans around the world in what we firmly believe is the next big evolutionary step for Rugby League."
"The NARL is the culmination of years of research and market testing and has been designed to bring you the hardest hitting, fastest and most exciting sport on the planet. Matches begin this summer. It's time to get excited about a new class of contact sport."

Further information can be found on www.narugbyleague.com or by following our social media accounts at:
Facebook: facebook.com/narugbyleague
Instagram: @narugbyleague
Twitter: @narugbyleague

Unfortunately North American rugby league has been postponed for the year to be honest I think they should've taken two years to organise this competition and get their ducks in a row

Unfortunately North American rugby league has been postponed for the year to be honest I think they should've taken two years to organise this competition and get their ducks in a row
On another note, sorry that Global Rapid Rugby ended (you have the logo in your avatar). I guess the guy that started it from the Western Force lost interest when his 15s team was reinstated to Super Rugby. I enjoyed Global Rapid Rugby and watched most of the matches online.

Covid-19 put the kibosh on the North American Rugby League in 2021, but they plan on going ahead this coming May with less teams. They'll be 6 instead of 14, and they plan to expand in 2023. The 6 are Cleveland, New York, Atlanta, Washington DC, Toronto with another to be named later.

1644389994233.png

Last edited:
NARL redux was supposed to kickoff with six teams on May 21, 2022...just a few days ago, and then add more in 2023. But it didn't happen and now I doubt it ever will. Oh well, at least Major League Rugby has been successful here in North America and continues to grow. :)

seriously i would have been worried that another comp in north america would just drain potential player from MLR, League and union are obviously different but similar enough to be looking at the same player pool

seriously i would have been worried that another comp in north america would just drain potential player from MLR, League and union are obviously different but similar enough to be looking at the same player pool
Rugby league has a following on the East Coast of the USA and the Toronto area of Canada at the club level. But it's not as popular as union. And league is a ghost town on the West Coast where I live. All of the high schools, colleges and universities that have rugby here in the states play union (that I know of). :)

Last edited:

Latest posts