Northampton Saints Thread

Don't Skip Leg Day

International
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Northampton
Well with the other clubs having their own threads, I thought it was time for the mighty saints to have their own as there are a few things to discuss.

Next year our club captain Ludlum is leaving for the delights in France. Not only is he our captain and a brilliant leader but he's also a player that covers three positions really well. On top of that he's a mighty ball carrier and is one of the experienced players we've come to rely upon.

To add to that, our fantastic Lawes is coming to an end on his brilliant career. There are rumours he's off to Japan but I've read that he wants to stay at the saints of the offer is right.

Losing two of our starting back row over the next couple of years is going to be hard to swallow and those two being massive leaders we need to ensure we replace them with quality.

I'm guessing looking at Saints recruitment we will probably bring one player through who they think has promise (and came through the academy) and maybe being someone in.

We've got Irvine, Logan and Pollock in the squad (who came through the academy) which I think one of those will come to fill Ludlum's mantle and then maybe a young English backrow from another premiership squad may be a target.

Other options maybe having Coles back at 6 but I think he's converted fully to lock now.

Another discussion is the amount of top class FBs we now have at the club. Furbank, Freeman and now Hendy all would be starters at premiership clubs. Will be Interesting to see what they do with all of them as they all are now covering other positions as well.

Does Furbank stay as first choice 15 and our 10 cover?
Does Freeman stay as a wing or move permanently to 13? Or become a utility player?
Does Hendy get a chance at FB or be kept on the wing? Or maybe 12 as I get the impression he'd be great there.

Anyhow coys!!!!

Well with the other clubs having their own threads, I thought it was time for the mighty saints to have their own as there are a few things to discuss.

Next year our club captain Ludlum is leaving for the delights in France. Not only is he our captain and a brilliant leader but he's also a player that covers three positions really well. On top of that he's a mighty ball carrier and is one of the experienced players we've come to rely upon.

To add to that, our fantastic Lawes is coming to an end on his brilliant career. There are rumours he's off to Japan but I've read that he wants to stay at the saints of the offer is right.

Losing two of our starting back row over the next couple of years is going to be hard to swallow and those two being massive leaders we need to ensure we replace them with quality.

I'm guessing looking at Saints recruitment we will probably bring one player through who they think has promise (and came through the academy) and maybe being someone in.

We've got Irvine, Logan and Pollock in the squad (who came through the academy) which I think one of those will come to fill Ludlum's mantle and then maybe a young English backrow from another premiership squad may be a target.

Other options maybe having Coles back at 6 but I think he's converted fully to lock now.

Another discussion is the amount of top class FBs we now have at the club. Furbank, Freeman and now Hendy all would be starters at premiership clubs. Will be Interesting to see what they do with all of them as they all are now covering other positions as well.

Does Furbank stay as first choice 15 and our 10 cover?
Does Freeman stay as a wing or move permanently to 13? Or become a utility player?
Does Hendy get a chance at FB or be kept on the wing? Or maybe 12 as I get the impression he'd be great there.

Anyhow coys!!!!
I quite like TF at 15 but caught between also seeing how he goes at 13, and i like George Furbank at 15 any way.

Saints defence has firmed up but losing two great back row players does make me worry about the pack in general. Then again I've been doing that about the front row for a few years.

I think you are probably spot on with recruitment plans. When and if we Lose both big Courts and Lewis I'd love to know the cap space that frees up. It's a nice to have but given we are relatively financially well run, i don't expect Saints to go mad with any money.

At a time when Saints are tearing it up on the pitch…..

Ribbans goes to France, Moon follows, with possibly Ludlam and Lawes to tread in their stud marks.

Three home grown (and Ribbans did 6 years) and three at peak ages. Lawes is different - no-one would begrudge him a final payday but he's playing well and it would be a shame not to see him as a big part of Saints resurgence.

That should be setting off alarm bells.

I didn't think we'd be able to keep all our talent but Dowson does have a plan (it seems).

With Moon going we still have 3 quality locks and one young good one in Lockett. I'm gutted Moon is going as he's been a player I've loved watching but with Coles, Munga and Temo as our three main locks and Lockett as back up I'm still happy. I think Lockett also has a higher ceiling than Moon and hasn't look out of place when he's played.

Ludlum is an interesting one. He's captain and a local(ish) lad and we'd love to keep him but realistically if England arnt sorting out the central deals (because he doesn't play for sarries) then we are never going to be able to compete with the French offers unless we massively sacrifice elsewhere in the squad. And being harsh why would we?

We've got three really good young lads in the backrow who have England age grade experience. I'm guessing one of those will be tracked through to the squad and we need cap free to do that. We're are probably still one player short in the backrow of Ludlum goes but I've not officially seen that he's off yet.

Lawes is the upsetting one but I also get all the rumours as he's got property. I really hope we keep him for one more season and then he goes to Japan and earns some serious money as he deserves it. He would be really hard to replace though and if Ludlum does as well it leaves a big leadership gap.

My biggest concern is all the backs. No way can we afford to keep them all or please them all with game time either.

Ribbans goes to France, Moon follows, with possibly Ludlam and Lawes to tread in their stud marks.

Three home grown (and Ribbans did 6 years) and three at peak ages. Lawes is different - no-one would begrudge him a final payday but he's playing well and it would be a shame not to see him as a big part of Saints resurgence.

I wasn't particularly talking about what will happen to Saints here, more the general theme of senior players at their peak going for the dosh even when things are going really well.

Not blaming any of the players individually - why wouldn't you do the best for yourself - but it's a concerning trend.

Especially as the rumours are he is off to a D2 France club.

A D2 rugby club has more clout than the current premiership table toppers.

Especially as the rumours are he is off to a D2 France club.

A D2 rugby club has more clout than the current premiership table toppers.
It's not about clout though, it's about market value in a squad. I would love to keep Lawes but if the choice is, keep Lawes and lose Furbank and Dingwall (for example) or just lose lawes, I know what the right answer is.

Looking for some advice please. I am a Munster fan and joined the "Notify me" for tickets for our upcoming game. I jumped on straight away and booked 2 tickets together, one for me and one for herself. Went through the whole process, confirmed payment on bank mobile, It was rushed as I was at work.

A couple of hours later, I was surprised to see no email confirmation. I opened up my laptop and to my horror I say the option to confirm I had ok'd it on my banking app/ I never pushed it. In a mad panic I tried to but more tickets, but there were very few left and none together.

For a finish, I got one ticket, in Block 19 Church stand. We are still going to travel as we have only heard great things about the town, and we had such good fun when you came to play us in Thomond park recently.

My question is, where would be the best place to try and sell the ticket I have and try and get two together, doesn't matter when in the ground it is, if they are together.

Any ideas? And apologies about the long-winded post.

Looking for some advice please. I am a Munster fan and joined the "Notify me" for tickets for our upcoming game. I jumped on straight away and booked 2 tickets together, one for me and one for herself. Went through the whole process, confirmed payment on bank mobile, It was rushed as I was at work.

A couple of hours later, I was surprised to see no email confirmation. I opened up my laptop and to my horror I say the option to confirm I had ok'd it on my banking app/ I never pushed it. In a mad panic I tried to but more tickets, but there were very few left and none together.

For a finish, I got one ticket, in Block 19 Church stand. We are still going to travel as we have only heard great things about the town, and we had such good fun when you came to play us in Thomond park recently.

My question is, where would be the best place to try and sell the ticket I have and try and get two together, doesn't matter when in the ground it is, if they are together.

Any ideas? And apologies about the long-winded post.
There is a saints and sinners Facebook page where people sell tickets and also a ticket exchange Facebook group (called saints sinners ticket exchange).

Hope that helps.

I went to the Saints open day today and it will brilliant. Got to have a great chat with Phil Dowson and meet loads of players.

Really impressed with the day and how polite and kind all the players were.

After some research by the club, Northampton and looking to change our club logo.

Worth a read, I do love our badge but they are correct in that it's very busy and not that recognisable. Let's hope they don't ruin the logo like nearly every club have done. Let's hope they at least do some heritage shirts when they release the new logo.

I'm torn with this. I've always seen Saints identity as black, green and gold. There's a video on YouTube where Saints badge is described as Gryffindor. Which probably sums up the fans consultation. In Cambridge it does just look like a university house badge. I got asked once what college i attended due to wearing a saints scarf.

It really depends on what it is. I wasn't keen on the Bristol rebranding at first but rather like it now. I'm guessing they'll go hard on the Saints aspect. Maybe we'll end up with a stick man with a halo who knows.

A resounding no to this stupid idea 😡.
There's something called history. I suggest our great leader reads up on it before " re-branding " something he should just leave well alone.

With Alex and Ethan retiring at the end of the season our pack is

A Waller, E Waller, Moon, Lawes and Ludlum. That's a big step change albeit both wallers are being phased out. Also rumours are that Hill is leaving at the end of the year meaning our pack is going to be massively different for next season.

LH - Manny and Haffar (probably need an old head back up in the squad)

HK - Langdon and Matavesi (then also have cruse or smith as 4th choice)

TH - Davidson and Elliot MM (if Hill goes could do with a younger player maybe coming through)

Lock - Coles, Temo, Munga and Lockett, (hopefully have an academy lock for 5th choice)

Back row - guessing next season we'll be starting Kemeny, Pearson and Graham, with Augustus and Scott-Young covering bench.

Probably need to bring an academy player or two through or sign a squad player. Just wonder if our first choice is good enough compared to other teams. Especially at 8 on the dark of winter.

Big changes next year!

With Alex and Ethan retiring at the end of the season our pack is

A Waller, E Waller, Moon, Lawes and Ludlum. That's a big step change albeit both wallers are being phased out. Also rumours are that Hill is leaving at the end of the year meaning our pack is going to be massively different for next season.

LH - Manny and Haffar (probably need an old head back up in the squad)

HK - Langdon and Matavesi (then also have cruse or smith as 4th choice)

TH - Davidson and Elliot MM (if Hill goes could do with a younger player maybe coming through)

Lock - Coles, Temo, Munga and Lockett, (hopefully have an academy lock for 5th choice)

Back row - guessing next season we'll be starting Kemeny, Pearson and Graham, with Augustus and Scott-Young covering bench.

Probably need to bring an academy player or two through or sign a squad player. Just wonder if our first choice is good enough compared to other teams. Especially at 8 on the dark of winter.

Big changes next year!
What happened to Nonleh at TH? He's only 24 but not seen him yet
Also there's Pollock at 7 who will probably start to need some more game time next season
That give 2 for every back 5 position (with academy to fill the rest)
We will definitely need another LH

What happened to Nonleh at TH? He's only 24 but not seen him yet
Also there's Pollock at 7 who will probably start to need some more game time next season
That give 2 for every back 5 position (with academy to fill the rest)
We will definitely need another LH
Pollock looks about 10kg off to me but hopefully he comes good over the next season or 2.

Definitely need another LH.

Just looked on all.rugby (pinch of salt taken)
Pollock is listed as 100kg
Sam Cane 108kg
Ardie Savea 103kg
Not sure on their accuracy but probably not loads off, and at only 19 it shouldn't take too much extra to gain that weight.
The big question is with him and Pearson both being considered 'the next big thing' on the back row, how do we feet them both in?
Does one of them move to 6 or 8?

Latest posts