• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[November Tests 2016 EOYT] England vs. South Africa (12/11/2016)

It sounds like England bossed it and were never really in genuine danger of losing the control.
I'll have a look at the highlights.
Media is talking up Ben Youngs performance.
Sounds like the white pack was dominant.

It sounds like England bossed it and were never really in genuine danger of losing the control.
I'll have a look at the highlights.
Media is talking up Ben Youngs performance.
Sounds like the white pack was dominant.

I don't really like Youngs but he had a very good game. Our pack didn't actually do that well overall, just a good team performance.

Don't understand South Africa and the IRB

Feel that they have the players but they are played out of position and poorly coached. They need to get rid of AC and Stick or at least get in Jake White and Nick Mallet to support them.

If the players were picked and coached correctly South Africa would be close to or level with the All Blacks and England.

What is happening is very sad for world rugby and IRB should step in and say enough is enough. Transformation = Discrimination. Discrimination is against the IRB rules.

Odd game. Still, a decent margin in filthy conditions. Lost what shape it had when all the subs came on.

Billy was, well Billy. Thought May did well given how little rugby he's had. Surely space has to be found for Launch by moving Itoje to the back row when he's fit?

SA are going through a bad patch. Off field stuff needs sorting out, but they'll be back.

I would have have itoje in the locks with Launchbury. Why play a top player out of position?

Youngs did Have a bit of a cracker. Mugged off SA twice, with the same dummy, down the same channel, against the SA 7 who could just watch as he smugly glided pass to put in two tries. Pretty solid from him in crap conditions.

The Farrell try was a great summation of Youngs... great break, but the pass he makes nearly ruins it.

The continual problem that Youngs and Care provide us with, is that they flit between shocking lack of fundamentals (passing) and absolutely destroying sides with their running game.

On good days like today, you need to remember this.

SA actually already have a lot of players out but Etsebeth brings an irreplaceable physical edge SA needed today. There is little doubt his injury was a key point in the match, the penalty count had built against England and their scrum was up the left.

Itoje is good but also a bit overhyped based on club form, Kruis was the better of the two test locks this year.

Shut up you trolling ****

England looking really strong. The mix of pace and power wouldn't look amiss in black shirts.
I'm sure the monopolies commission will get involved at some point, regarding the 2nd rows. They have far too many, and should have to share :p

England looking really strong. The mix of pace and power wouldn't look amiss in black shirts.
I'm sure the monopolies commission will get involved at some point, regarding the 2nd rows. They have far too many, and should have to share :p
It's our reward for having lived through Botha-Borthwick

It's our reward for having lived through Botha-Borthwick
We're still owed some more for Deacon

When can we cash in our Tompkins and Hape tokens for a centre or two?
And the Monye-at-15 one too

We're still owed some more for Deacon

When can we cash in our Tompkins and Hape tokens for a centre or two?
And the Monye-at-15 one too

Everyone is still in the queue behind Italy and Bergamasco - 9.

Haven't read through the thread but how could the 1st Saffa try be given when the pass went 3-5m forwards? Unbelievable.

Also we are fogetting Vunipolo on the wing and the great Andy Good...

Just watching the game now. England obviously really ramped things up in the second half because the first 30 were pretty sloppy from both sides

- - - Updated - - -

Haven't read through the thread but how could the 1st Saffa try be given when the pass went 3-5m forwards? Unbelievable.

Also we are fogetting Vunipolo on the wing and the great Andy Good...

To be fair, the second English try was a knock on every day of the week. Honestly can't work out how it was given when you look at the replays. I mean I know Union is happy to let a lot of poor control and fumbling go, but wow...

Just watching the game now. England obviously really ramped things up in the second half because the first 30 were pretty sloppy from both sides

- - - Updated - - -

To be fair, the second English try was a knock on every day of the week. Honestly can't work out how it was given when you look at the replays. I mean I know Union is happy to let a lot of poor control and fumbling go, but wow...

I thought the same at the time, but I can understand why it was given - as one-eyed as that seems. The SA player batted it under Brown before he got a hand to it and it hit his thigh. Without the TMO that would never, ever have been given.

- - - Updated - - -

Except it wasn't, Brown never got a hand to it and the ball going forward off the thigh is not a knock on. The Saffa try had a blatant forward pass that the TMO showed was clearly forward and Garces allowed it.

There was no knock on - a fumble =/= a knock on.

It's as simple as that.
If you fumble forward it's a knock on and that's what happened. If that happened in League there'd be no chance it was given. The knock on law is the same in both codes - the only difference is League places a greater premium on control and any hint of a drop or fumble is called a knock on unless it's blatantly backwards

Last edited:
Having been at Twickenham, I thought overall it was sloppy. Some really good moments, but some poor kicking decisions and easy penalties. Hope we improve for Australia.

If you fumble forward it's a knock on and that's what happened. If that happened in League there'd be no chance it was given. The knock on law is the same in both codes - the only difference is League places a greater premium on control and any hint of a drop or fumble is called a knock on unless it's blatantly backwards

The ball clearly did not at any point move forward from his hands, it momentarily brushed his hands, but was simultaneously hit backwards by Lambie's hand, his legs then pushed the ball forward.

Find a clip and point out which frames show the ball being knocked forwards from his hands.

The ball clearly did not at any point move forward from his hands, it momentarily brushed his hands, but was simultaneously hit backwards by Lambie's hand, his legs then pushed the ball forward.

Find a clip and point out which frames show the ball being knocked forwards from his hands.
If the ball touches your hands and then hits another player it constitutes a knock on. Well, it is in Rugby League and it often is in Union, but Union is way more inconsistent on what is an isn't a knock on. That's why I prefer League's approach.

Last edited:

Latest posts