• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Now that you've had it for a while?

Do you actually enjoy Rugby 2005 more than NRL?

• Yeah easily! It's the best rugby union/league game by a long shot!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No. Now that I've had time to see what it's really like, I actually think NRL was more fun to play.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
S

sanzar

To be honest guys, I had a game of NRL the other day, and I have to say I actually thought it was better that Rugby 2005... Rugby 2005 has some great graphics and plays really well, but its unresponsive passing and terrible AI has got me going back to NRL and I'm enjoying that more!

Yeah, actually each time i play rugby 2005 the worse it gets.

It looks good, fluent etc, but it sucks because

Its not FUN, its FUSTRATING!

I played RL1 a lot, i won't play rugby2005 much more... highest res of 800x600 doesn't help either. Stupid EA.

Well, I don't own either. My SJRL broke and I just hired Rugby 2005 over the weekend and already I can say that with just 1 more hire of Rugby 2005 I will have enough of it.

I can't really play multiplayer (stupid brother) so single player is all I can do really.
And if Rugby 2005 had a better rucking system and recievers are'nt so flat footed (occasional problem in SJRL as well) then I'd play rugby 2005 a lot longer, so I'd have to say league. Even though Rugby 2005 is the best rugby game out there, it's longevity isn't good enough as once you've played one game, you've played them all.

Also, I liked it when you unlocked crap in RL.

SJRL was simply an awesome game, and I still don't get tired of it. After a weekend of r2005 I am already sick of it.

Interesting... I wasn't sure how most of you would feel, but it seems I'm not alone in this.
It does make you wonder though doesn't it? If we're all realising that Rugby 2005 isn't really as good as SJRL past the visual level, then the combination of stunning new graphics and completely evolved gameplay will make RL 2 the roger federa of Rugby games (ie, second best still gets hammered in straight sets
<
).
Seriously, RL2 is going to be such an unbelievably good game!

Originally posted by sanzar@Mar 21 2005, 10:40 PM
Seriously, RL2 is going to be such an unbelievably good game!
I hope so. It has massive potential, especially as the developers actually interact well with the fans and actively seek feedback.

Originally posted by umaga@Mar 21 2005, 03:33 PM
cackkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk
Idiot.

Anyway......

I prefer Rugby 2005 just because I'm a Union fan, and having the chance to play as my local team and see them run out in official (modded) kit, gives me a real buzz. Both games could be improved, but I think from a personal point of view I will be playing Rugby 2005 for longer.

I think the longitivity of SJRL was the player editor. In 2005 they don't even let you use enough letters to make J. Gopperth's name and there are heaps of team mistakes and people missing. In SJRL it was fun and easy to create teams and players, I have all 5 NZ super 12 teams on my game so although I prefer union and it does look weird having 120kg prop Neemia Tialata attempting a hit up, the game is still more fun and will have a longer lifespan than 05.

Rugby 2005 easily over SJRL 1............

SJRL had far more gameplay bugs then rugby 2005, that affected overall enjoyment of the game - can't see how people still play it today myself....
Endless headhigh tackles (most by teammates controlled by the computer!!), NON EXISTANT try line defense by your AI teammates, easy scrum trys everytime, the "kick off" bug, etc etc.

From what I've read most of the gameplay "issues" people have with rugby 2005 could easily be fixed by reading the manual properly and/or using the defense/attack set plays more often, and at the right times........

Graphically rugby 2005 is superior. Numerous cut scenes immerse you into the game.

Rugby 2005 has more game modes/career mode, thus has longevity beyond what SJRL 1 offered.

SJRL 1 did however have some nice gameplay features (offloads, two man tackles), and far superior ball physics.

Is rugby 2005 FAR superior to SJRL 1?? The answer is no, which makes me think that SJRL 2 will be something special indeed.......
<

Originally posted by NZL fan@Mar 22 2005, 08:02 AM
Rugby 2005 easily over SJRL 1............

SJRL had far more gameplay bugs then rugby 2005, that affected overall enjoyment of the game - can't see how people still play it today myself....
Endless headhigh tackles (most by teammates controlled by the computer!!), NON EXISTANT try line defense by your AI teammates, easy scrum trys everytime, the "kick off" bug, etc etc.

From what I've read most of the gameplay "issues" people have with rugby 2005 could easily be fixed by reading the manual properly and/or using the defense/attack set plays more often, and at the right times........

Graphically rugby 2005 is superior. Numerous cut scenes immerse you into the game.

Rugby 2005 has more game modes/career mode, thus has longevity beyond what SJRL 1 offered.

SJRL 1 did however have some nice gameplay features (offloads, two man tackles), and far superior ball physics.

Is rugby 2005 FAR superior to SJRL 1?? The answer is no, which makes me think that SJRL 2 will be something special indeed.......
<
I see what your saying, but the poll wasn't about which game is better, but which you found more fun to play after extended play... I know there are several bugs in NRL and it lacks deapth, but to be honest I found playing against the AI was always fun and the kicking is way better...
In rugby 2005 the camera angles are all pretty shocking, the kicking really needs to be improved, and passing out of a tackle is impossible...
Also, while in most area's I agree Rugby 2005 is far superior, the stadiums in NRL were so much more realistic and well rendered that it's not funny (and you could play with different conditions with each stadium).
The AI was always much more fun to play against in NRL I always thought aswell, even on league god. In rugby 2005 medium is too easy and hard is just ridiculous!

Because of major gameplay bugs, nicer graphics and extra tournys/world league rugby 2005 is better to play than SJRL even after an extended period..............

Originally posted by NZL fan@Mar 22 2005, 11:13 AM
Because of major gameplay bugs, nicer graphics and extra tournys/world league rugby 2005 is better to play than SJRL even after an extended period..............
Fair enough...
Graphically Rugby 05 kills SJRL in every area but the stadiums, camera angles and pitch (those things are significantly better in SJRL and so is it's commentary (seriously EA need to stop getting these uselss monotone poms)) and the game play is very good... I actually do like Rugby 2005 quite alot, but the career mode is useless in my opinion, as it's unspecific to any tournament, and the AI is way too predictable and easy to counter.......
I've had alot of fun with it, but to be honest I'm really just looking forward to Rugby League 2 now, which with the features they've already named is looking to be light years ahead of Rugby 2005.

EG:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
New features of “Rugby League 2†include

Multiplayer online play for all platforms, allowing competitive and friendly play over the Internet, player rankings, and statistics.
All major teams and competitions including the NRL, SuperLeague, State of Origin, City versus Country, and a range of International Teams.
Brand new gameplay features including ball stripping, shoulder barges, diving on and kicking the loose ball, contesting the high ball, pass to playmaker and more.
New multi year Franchise Mode, including player contract management, injuries, judiciary, and mid season representative games.
Highly realistic, individually modelled likenesses for over 500 players and referees.
Lifelike animation, motion captured by Weta Digital, the VFX wizards behind The Lord of the Rings movie trilogy.[/b]

There will definately be more features announced as we get closer to its release, but already that sounds better than Rugby 2005...

Rugby 2005 is nearly league anyways with the semi-auto rucks

this is a no brainer - Rugby 2005 kills SJRL (unmodded version)

running is more fluid, passing is more fluid, support play is better, sprint feature is perfect in rugby 2005 - u get no enjoyment in SJRL with epeleptic "olyimpic styles" button mash to sprint down field.

dodgy rules interpretations in SJRL
too many foward passes in SJRL - i have seen 3 in rugby 2005, and i got that in the 1st half of my 1st match of SJRL

both versions unmodded have bugs but SJRL has nearly triple the amount

I would say tho the modded version of SJRL would beat the modded version of Rugby 2005

Commentary in SJRL is world class and will never be beaten anytime soon
and have to admit NRL2 does look alot more promising to smash Rugby 2005 into the canvas

Unless Ea's Rugby gets fully manual rucks it takes away the union factor thus nullyfying any creditbility for its reflection of the sport.

If EA's Rugby 2005 took away rucks and made it a play the ball, it would be a better league game than SJRL, but NRL2 will top that anyway

If WCR was an option i would choose that.

But between SJRL and Rugby 2005 i cant make a decision as i cant stand either of them on either short term or long term.
I still crack out WCR to have a game and then try survival mode.

Originally posted by sanzar@Mar 22 2005, 10:21 AM
The AI was always much more fun to play against in NRL I always thought aswell, even on league god. In rugby 2005 medium is too easy and hard is just ridiculous!
SANZAR - hard mode in rugby 2005 is perfect

HARDMODE IN EA'S 2005 HAS OPENED UP A NEW PLAYGROUND FOR RUGBY GAMES
I have not scored an identical try in hard mode……….everyone has been different, and feels like PES.
I have had trouble scoring from 5m out, and in the same matches, been able to put in 90m tries with good backline reading with overlaps.
I had big Evans run for a 90m, try â€" was hilarious, he nearly fell over the try line, with no gas left in the tank
THERE’S ONLY ONE WAY FOR RUGBY 2005 â€" HARD MODE!!! ITS ABSOLUTLEY BRILLIANT

It is hard to maintain possession, but proper Rugby is rewarded. A good mix of Hit-ups, kicking game, and backline variety is duely rewarded in HARDMODE, with fare share of possession and offensive opportunities brough forward in which need to be taken advantage of everytime just like in REAL LIFE!!!! â€" I am back in Rugby gaming heaven…JLR days relived!!!!

Originally posted by Serge@Mar 22 2005, 01:40 PM
If WCR was an option i would choose that.

But between SJRL and Rugby 2005 i cant make a decision as i cant stand either of them on either short term or long term.
I still crack out WCR to have a game and then try survival mode.
Really? WCR was on the same level as Rugby 2004 for me... as it barely even resembled real rugby... The shockingly slow forwards that always infected the backline, the ridiculously one dimensional and non skill orientate scrums and line outs, the fact that a 50 kilo winger could barge tackle a 120 kilo forward and force a knock on EVERY time, the unevolved JLR goal kicking style (worst of any rugby game) and the incredable lack of variation from scrum half made it one of the most boring and unrealistic rugby games I can remember...
In my opinion as someone who's a big fan of rugby anyway...

Just because rugby 2005 has more options doesn't mean it will have a longer lifespan. I can't see myself completely all the tournaments simply because the game has already become such a snorefest. All the AI does is kick or do the loop move. It is far too repetitive to have fun defending.

Latest posts