• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

NRFL Combine in United States Ready to Roll on April 5-6th

I didn't start hooking until I was 19yo and never fared to poorly.

Good technical coaching plus driven attitude and coachability in an high-level athletic talent can over come these obstacles (and have). One does not have to have played "barefoot on the veldt" as a child to perform well at front row and halfback positions. One just needs the desire and time to do well.

No argument from me on these points!!, as I say have said in another thread the depth of athletic ability in the US frightens the life out of me in rugby terms if the US ever embraces the sport fully.

We'll have to disagree on the half-back part^

:D

Don't get him started Grant A Cole, already been down this route

:D:D

Last edited by a moderator:
As I said, keep your eye on Bristol:
http://www.bristolrugby.co.uk/news/10003/bristol-take-two-former-collegiate-stars-on-trial/

Cue the naysayers stating this is only a two-week trial and spouting Kolpak.

Keep in mind, TTIP/TAFTA should be ratified soon enough. This is considered an Association Agreement per Kolpak ruling, thus workers from the nation covered under the Association Agreement are not subjected to a quota (the 2-cap rule). This is the wrench in the cogs that the clubs need to stay competitive.

Wikipedia disagrees on the Association Agreement thing and reckons it doesn't have the full bit about movement of workers that counts for aspects like the Kolpak ruling and has a more limited section instead, designed to allow companies to transfer their existing staff between the US and EU. From the sounds of it, Saracens will be laughing and everyone else will be stuck with the quotas.

No-one is "naysaying" American talent - on the contrary, most people readily accept that there are tons of guys who could play the game at varying levels of domestic and international rugby.
American rugby players, and converts have been doing it for years in ever increasing numbers.
The demand for elite sports-people does not fully utilise the supply created by the US collegiate system - you'd have to be an idiot to not recognise the potential of harnessing the latent/wasted talent there.

That's very different from accepting that the USA has the depth of talent required to sustain a fully professional league that is fit for TV broadcast in 2014.
Not to mention doing so through a company that has previously stated it's ambivalence towards Unions/the IRB.
Unless significant private investment comes in then it also seems unlikely that any league would be able to fill the gaps in talent in certain positions with foreign players, or to have a tournament which has proper geographical reach.

I hope both players go well. Perhaps if they are successful they might be lucky enough to be spotted by Bath and invited to join a premiership club. ;)
NBC has broadcast the collegiate sevens tournament before, and a few Eagles home tests have been on ESPN, so they have tested the waters.

This is a bold step forward for the US, and I wish it well. USARugby has been dragging it's heels on professionalism in US rugby, so perhaps this is the kick it needs.

Dont get me started on North American halfbacks! Across the board, US and Canada, the weakest position I've seen.

NBC has broadcast the collegiate sevens tournament before, and a few Eagles home tests have been on ESPN, so they have tested the waters.

Yeah - sevens and literally the best 23 players the US have is not the same as a full blown domestic tournament of the full game.

I'm guessing you've seen things like the PRP... can you see people really investing heavily into that... either as fans or sponsors?

No, of course it isn't the same thing, but what I am getting at is that there has been televised rugby in the US, which most don't seem to understand. Sevens has been used to get rugby out there in the US, and I can see a concentrated effort continuing this. I don't think it will be widespread or mainstream, not even MLS levels, but it can get the word out there. There are dozens of sports channels in the States, I've seen AFL on ESPN, so the medium is there.

Yeah - I'm well aware of that.

But the US currently has the player base in sevens and at the international level to support a product of the quality required to actually attract viewers regularly on TV - even if it is niche.

I think the US is a long way (5-10 years at least) from having enough players to field an 8-16 team tournament/league of the quality required to make it viable from a spectators point of view.
As I say - short of some very rich investors coming in with a boatload of cash and buying in a ton of foreign players, you aren't going to get that in the near future IMO.

As frustrating as it may be - I think the best way to grow the sport in a sustainable way is to get as much investment into the grass-roots of the game as possible so that it can become an official NCAA sport.
The USARFU do need to grease the tracks for a professional league to take advantage when that happens though - I have no idea how competent or otherwise they have been in courting private investment for this eventuality*.
Preferably this would happen in line with the SH season - which is roughly in line with the NFL off-season.

*my observations are that it does seem that the caliber of sponsors and business partners has increased considerably in the past 2 years or so.

Without the players the whole thing is pointless - at some point they are going to need guys that can play to a high level in every position. That takes time - it's not something that you can magic up.
It doesn't matter how many freakish 4.3s 40YD wingers you have - just ask Fiji.
Until the USA can field a single half-back and front row combination that can earn professional contracts in elite competitions, let alone an entire league's worth, talks of a professional league are premature IMO.

Speaking of which... http://usarugby.org/partner-news/item/usa-rugby-announces-new-10-year-agreement-with-img

Last edited:
The IMG partnership sounds good, they've got a very good track record with their work with the USSF.

As to the current playing quality, yeah, they'd need to go heavy on the imports in those positions if it started tomorrow but that's no big deal. It's not like there's huge amounts of money floating around like in football so there's a lot less ground to make up; I'm sure they could tempt enough second-tier guys from the Championship and the southern hemisphere, plus a bunch of guys from places like Georgia and Uruguay to pad out the front rows.

Leicester are playing in the independence day cup next August:

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3551_9550727,00.html

Leicester Tigers will help begin a new era in USA professional rugby by playing an All-star XV from the National Rugby Football League (NRFL).

RugbyLaw LLC, a Minnesota based sports and entertainment company and the founding entity of the National Rugby Football League (NRFL) have announced an agreement with Leicester to play the NRFL "Rough Riders" in the first professional major league rugby game in the United States.

They'll be missing all of their internationals, with the world cup on the horizon, but I hope Leicester put out as strong a side as they can manage.

How can you have an "all-star" team of players from a league that hasn't ever played a game?
Marketing, I know, but still...

How funny would it be if Leicester get d*cked?

Also looking at this would indicate they are working with USA Rugby?

http://www.espn.co.uk/blogs/rugby/story/246479.html

specifically:

Both are amateur leagues but Melville hopes there will be professional rugby in the next two years to help persuade the country's best players to stay put rather than look overseas. "We can do it in two years, it will be city-driven and we will start with six [teams] and we will go from there."
Read more at http://www.espnscrum.com/blogs/rugby/story/246479.html#CfKfmebhGRgHQ3Kx.99

Last edited:
How funny would it be if Leicester get d*cked?

Also looking at this would indicate they are working with USA Rugby?

http://www.espn.co.uk/blogs/rugby/story/246479.html

specifically:

USAR is not working WITH the NRFL, but that is not the NRFL's fault. The NRFL has reached out to USAR/IRB to establish communications and explain The NRFL's vision and goals. Whether USAR/IRB has responded or not is another story altogether. Word is that the IRB considers the NRFL not credible enough to be acknowledged. If the IRB is really concerned about a pro competition that may ruin their vision of rugby, why are they not pursuing ongoing and constant communication with anyone trying to form one?

So, The NRFL negotiates a match with Leicester and USAR negotiates an agreement with the PRL for club matches against the Eagles? Did the PRL clubs approve that agreement? Unless the clubs reign in PRL leadership, this may come to loggerheads, the legal and messed-up kind. Rugby doesn't need that. Rugby in the US needs it even less.

The NRFL has reached out to USAR/IRB to communicate. USAR & the IRB need to get off the stick and get to the table. This can all be settled and everyone can get on with the business of making money playing rugby if the interested parties would just get their stubborn arses to the table.

USAR is not working WITH the NRFL, but that is not the NRFL's fault. The NRFL has reached out to USAR/IRB to establish communications and explain The NRFL's vision and goals. Whether USAR/IRB has responded or not is another story altogether. Word is that the IRB considers the NRFL not credible enough to be acknowledged. If the IRB is really concerned about a pro competition that may ruin their vision of rugby, why are they not pursuing ongoing and constant communication with anyone trying to form one?

So, The NRFL negotiates a match with Leicester and USAR negotiates an agreement with the PRL for club matches against the Eagles? Did the PRL clubs approve that agreement? Unless the clubs reign in PRL leadership, this may come to loggerheads, the legal and messed-up kind. Rugby doesn't need that. Rugby in the US needs it even less.

The NRFL has reached out to USAR/IRB to communicate. USAR & the IRB need to get off the stick and get to the table. This can all be settled and everyone can get on with the business of making money playing rugby if the interested parties would just get their stubborn arses to the table.

sorry Grant, you've lost me there, are you saying the Eagles will be playing club sides, or have i misunderstood.

The thing that made me think they were working together is that they both talk about 6 city based teams in a professional league.

They'll be missing all of their internationals, with the world cup on the horizon, but I hope Leicester put out as strong a side as they can manage.

Prob a mix team as said all the internationals will be away and also the game will most likely be early pre-season so some of the more senior players with familes may not be included.

Would expect injuries/ New signings aside:
1) Rizzo/Bristow, 2) Briggs, 3) Balmain
4) De Cheves, 5) Price
6) Pearce, 7) Gibson, 8) crane (or potentially fonua)
9) Mele, 10) Burns/Williams/Bryant
12) Bai, 13) Loamanu
11) Benjamin, 14) Scully, 15) Morris

Bench: Thacker, Pas, Brugnara, Wells, Owen/Beckett/Milne, Harrison, Burns/Williams/Bryant/Hepetema, Thompstone/Catchpole/Pohe
Or something like that.

sorry Grant, you've lost me there, are you saying the Eagles will be playing club sides, or have i misunderstood.

The thing that made me think they were working together is that they both talk about 6 city based teams in a professional league.

Oh yes, buenNumeroDiez, that is exactly what has been said: Curtis Reed at TIAR "From what we understand a warm-up match against the Eagles just prior to the World Cup next year is in the works."
http://www.thisisamericanrugby.com/2014/10/why-premiership-match-in-us-may-finally.html#more

We would all like them to be working together and, yes, they are talking about the same item in a six team start-up. Six teams is the financial sweet-spot for a pro rugby start-up. Four is not enough to prove viability (part, but not all, of the ill-fated PRNA's problems). Begin with eight and the risk cannot be feasibly mitigated (trying to start a sports league in the US without mitigating the financial risk via Wall Street is suicidal). So, six is the sweet spot.

Last edited:
This league to me seems to be pretty legit. I'm throwing my weight behind (liked it on facebook) just wondering what everyone thinks of it now?

And Grant A Cole what are you to do with the league?

Jay, I am not directly associated with the NRFL, but I have acted as a consultant and networking connector for the entrepreneurs behind the concept. My hope is to be a match commentator for the NRFL. At least, that is what I've told Mac & Mike that I want. I'm a patient old sot.

You should follow them on Twitter, as well. If you've got real financial weight to throw behind them, you should contact them directly.

I haven't got a twitter account or any financial weight to throw behind anything, I am just a humble educator. However, if the league, or any of the teams, ever need anyone to manage a professional gateway programme, or organise and run a grass roots rugby programme then I am your man. Both things I've done and loved here in Wales and back home in Northern Ireland. Learned most of my stuff when in Southand, New Zealand. My theory on rugby pathways is simple, if it's good enough for the All Blacks, it's good enough for everyone else.

If you know these guys personally, is there an aim to bring in current Eagle players as well? Are they aiming to bring Todd Clever, for example, back from Japan? And when are they hoping to announce the teams?

I'm sure you can do a better job than the guys who did the NZ game. NFL comparisons were good by those guys, so general Americans could understand what was going on, but at points they were just making things up!

All very exciting really.

Last edited:
I haven't got a twitter account or any financial weight to throw behind anything, I am just a humble educator. However, if the league, or any of the teams, ever need anyone to manage a professional gateway programme, or organise and run a grass roots rugby programme then I am your man. Both things I've done and loved here in Wales and back home in Northern Ireland. Learned most of my stuff when in Southand, New Zealand. My theory on rugby pathways is simple, if it's good enough for the All Blacks, it's good enough for everyone else.

Jay, there is contact info at the bottom of http://nationalrugbyfootballleague.com/ . If you've got appropriate credentials and experience on your CV, I'm sure they'd love to receive it for consideration.

If you know these guys personally, is there an aim to bring in current Eagle players as well? Are they aiming to bring Todd Clever, for example, back from Japan? And when are they hoping to announce the teams?

They want elite athletes that can/will play great rugby, period. That being said, they have opened up their doors to USAR and said the NRFL will make any of its eligible players available for selection.

However, pause for much effect, there is word that USAR's will not consider NRFL players for selection.

I'm betting that IF the NRFL put on the league they have a goal to put on, THEN USAR, probably under much leadership which is not currently present, would change that tune.

I'm sure you can do a better job than the guys who did the NZ game. NFL comparisons were good by those guys, so general Americans could understand what was going on, but at points they were just making things up!

I'll never reach the stratosphere occupied by some of my heroes - Ian Robertson & Nigel Starmer-Smith - but I always strive to commentate for the fan, not to build a fan-base (and I get criticized for that).

Jay, there is contact info at the bottom of http://nationalrugbyfootballleague.com/ . If you've got appropriate credentials and experience on your CV, I'm sure they'd love to receive it for consideration.

They want elite athletes that can/will play great rugby, period. That being said, they have opened up their doors to USAR and said the NRFL will make any of its eligible players available for selection.

However, pause for much effect, there is word that USAR's will not consider NRFL players for selection.

I'm betting that IF the NRFL put on the league they have a goal to put on, THEN USAR, probably under much leadership which is not currently present, would change that tune.

I'll never reach the stratosphere occupied by some of my heroes - Ian Robertson & Nigel Starmer-Smith - but I always strive to commentate for the fan, not to build a fan-base (and I get criticized for that).

Maybe I'll send them a CV, stranger things have happened. But more importantly, why on earth would USAR not take players from the NRFL? Surely to do with money, USAR attempting to set up their own league perhaps? Also, Nigel Melville seems pretty switched on and like a very intelligent able president of USAR?

Latest posts