• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

NZ want a double header @ Chicago next November with Ireland.

Couldn't really see the IRFU going for it. If NZ want a test in Chicago v Ireland they should play it in June.

More evidence that money, or the desire for it, is going to ruin the game!

Wouldn't this be a good way to help raise the profile In The USA?

Wouldn't this be a good way to help raise the profile In The USA?

Yeah, not sure how this is a bad thing from a global game perspective..

Pretty sure there was suppose to be some Pro Rugby USA announcement today, so this may add further appeal.

Tony doesn't like money.

Although if NZ want to do it, they should use there own home game.

Last edited:
Tony doesn't like money.

Although if NZ want to do it, they should use there own home game.

We had two home games last year - one of which was in Samoa and made $0.

I think trying to get others to pull their weight and grow the game isn't a huge ask. I'm sure Ireland would be compensated for it anyway.

Couldn't really see the IRFU going for it. If NZ want a test in Chicago v Ireland they should play it in June.

November can be inside the window, so I don't see what the problem is.

Chicago is a very "Irish" city, with Irish-Americans making up the largest ethnic group. I am sure Ireland would get great support from the locals

More evidence that money, or the desire for it, is going to ruin the game!

Back in the early days of the space-programme, the astronauts used to have a saying (made popular by the film "The Right Stuff)..... the saying was "No bucks, No Buck Rogers". The same applies to Rugby... No Cash, No Competitions! We have international tournaments like RWC, Six Nations, Rugby Championship, Pacific Nations Championship, European Nations Cup, Asian Five Nations Championship and many others, because of money. However much you or I might not like the amount of money in the game, the outlook for rugby would be pretty bleak without it.

As far as NZRU are concerned, we don't have the large corporations or the sugar-daddies willing to throw large wads of cash at rugby teams they way the do in your neck of the woods. We have to spend our budgets carefully, and make wise investments to support the game here. Additional revenue sharing matches in foreign countries do two things,; they keep the game afloat, and they spread the word globally.

Last edited:
November can be inside the window, so I don't see what the problem is.

Chicago is a very "Irish" city, with Irish-Americans making up the largest ethnic group. I am sure Ireland would get great support from the locals

We play 5 to 6 tests in Ireland every year, I reckon the IRFU wouldn't want to play one of those in Chicago for the sake of a few extra quid. Unlike the rest of the NH teams, our whole squad is contracted to the IRFU so the only issue with a test outside the window would be weaking our provincial teams in the Pro12. Perhaps a test outside the window would be the best option?

On the one hand, I'd feel bad for all the Irish fans who'd lose out on their chance to see the All Blacks in Dublin, bad for the Irish team that their chance of getting in a win over the All Blacks would be somewhat hampered and so on, but on the other...

... either we're serious about growing the game or we're not.

If we're serious about growing the game, that means taking games people want to see to places they haven't before. If I feel bad for the Irish fans, how am I meant to feel for the American fans who've never ever had a chance to watch a Tier 1 rugby game on their home soil? I know the big idea is America grows their own Tier 1 team but that's a long and rocky road that involves convincing a lot of Americans that rugby is awesomesauce. Besides, it's not like this'll be the only chance Irish fans ever have to see the ABs in Dublin, lets be honest here.

Granted, huge amounts of this is about money. It's not a coincidence that the US is getting more love than most of Tier 2. I dislike exhibition matches because I dislike the idea of dumping on the fans who make the whole thing possible by taking games they wanted to see away, just for more money... but, well, more money is needed. Nervos belli, pecuniam infinitum and all that. The unions with small population bases need to generate more money if they don't want the game to be sucked into a black hole consisting of the French and English leagues.

I'd like to be against it but there is both some altruistic good to come out of this and some not so altruistic good.

Sounds like a bloody good idea. Although I never realised that Chicago was an Irish town - I tend to think of Boston when I think Irish Americans. The game needs a high profile match in the US, and the All Blacks playing a well represented ethnic identity like the Irish makes more sense than just about anything really.

Seems like a great idea to me.

In this day and age we need to do a few things outside of the standard tourneys we always have.

1. Promote the game to grow the game
2. Make money pay the bills

This seems to tick both those boxes.

Sounds like a bloody good idea. Although I never realised that Chicago was an Irish town - I tend to think of Boston when I think Irish Americans. The game needs a high profile match in the US, and the All Blacks playing a well represented ethnic identity like the Irish makes more sense than just about anything really.

I think half of north-east Murica thinks they're Irish tbh.

I think half of north-east Murica thinks they're Irish tbh.

Yeah, it's funny how they actively identify as Irish in that way. I have a pretty bloody Irish surname, but I'd never identify myself as "Irish Australian"

On the one hand, I'd feel bad for all the Irish fans who'd lose out on their chance to see the All Blacks in Dublin, bad for the Irish team that their chance of getting in a win over the All Blacks would be somewhat hampered and so on, but on the other...

... either we're serious about growing the game or we're not.

If we're serious about growing the game, that means taking games people want to see to places they haven't before. If I feel bad for the Irish fans, how am I meant to feel for the American fans who've never ever had a chance to watch a Tier 1 rugby game on their home soil? I know the big idea is America grows their own Tier 1 team but that's a long and rocky road that involves convincing a lot of Americans that rugby is awesomesauce. Besides, it's not like this'll be the only chance Irish fans ever have to see the ABs in Dublin, lets be honest here.

Granted, huge amounts of this is about money. It's not a coincidence that the US is getting more love than most of Tier 2. I dislike exhibition matches because I dislike the idea of dumping on the fans who make the whole thing possible by taking games they wanted to see away, just for more money... but, well, more money is needed. Nervos belli, pecuniam infinitum and all that. The unions with small population bases need to generate more money if they don't want the game to be sucked into a black hole consisting of the French and English leagues.

I'd like to be against it but there is both some altruistic good to come out of this and some not so altruistic good.

If this is to be an additional match outside the window (and lets be realistic, Ireland is about the only European team who can do that without raising the ire of PRL Chief Executive Troll Mark McCafferty and his fellow Muppets) then why not make it a two match series; first match at Soldier Field, Chicago, second match a week later at Aviva Stadium, Dublin

The All Blacks (I rarely use the franchise name but think it's apt here) would have to make a hell of a pitch to get the IRFU to send a team to the states in November. In doing so they're alienating their fans, hampering the provinces chances in the Pro 12 and ECC, and, depending on the date of the match, hampering Ireland's chances in the rest of their November Internationals. My guess would be that next year they're trying to line up Argentina and NZ so NZ do have leverage. I hope we get a game with NZ whatever happens because I don't think we'll have as good a chance to beat them than we will this time next year for a long time.

The All Blacks (I rarely use the franchise name but think it's apt here) would have to make a hell of a pitch to get the IRFU to send a team to the states in November..

How does a half share of â'¬2.5m grab ya!?

Dublin to Chicago Ohare is about 8½ hrs with Aer Lingus. Mere duck soup... our rugby players routine travel 13h to/from South Africa for SR and RC games

Fare is about about â'¬350 return; not unreasonable

its great idea I've relations in and around Chicago that's accommodation sorted. and there's a huge Irish population that would come out and support the match. And Ireland's never been beaten by the All Blacks on American soil!

Excellent call.
We must grow the game in America and get the yanks involved more.