ratsapprentice

Hall of Fame
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
England
...Is not that hard!

Please take the 10 seconds needed to familiarise yourself with the word and get it right.

Aside from a handful of consonants the letters are largely pronounced in the same way they are in English.

"O"'s don't suddenly become "A"'s - Vunipola isn't Vainipolo.

Please. It's disrespectful not to.*

*This clearly also applies to Dutch names too!

It is weird when commentators don't even get the right letters.
Vunipola into Vunipolo is very commong.
Fihaki turns into Faheeki etc.

It's ridiculous.. largely because of how little effort is required to actually get it right.

I say it 'Osheeanik'...but I don't spell it that way, though. I spell it 'Oceanic'. Coz I'm a good boy.
..almost sounds celtic when you think about it..."hey Sean, you seen the old Sullivan O'Sheanic lately ?" - "..who the hell is....*sigh* Jesus Christ Tom, you been drinking again ?", you know..

...Is not that hard!

Please take the 10 seconds needed to familiarise yourself with the word and get it right.

Aside from a handful of consonants the letters are largely pronounced in the same way they are in English.

"O"'s don't suddenly become "A"'s - Vunipola isn't Vainipolo.

Please. It's disrespectful not to.*

*This clearly also applies to Dutch names too!

Dutch and Afrikaans... But then again, some of our own commentators even get it wrong. Hugh Bladen is prime example.

What is actually alarming is that it takes you a few seconds to listen to the name, and then to say it back correctly.

Yeah, I've heard George Kruis' name pronounced like 4 different ways. It's "Krouse" ie dutch: huis = house.

Tuilagi is another one. A lot of British announcers seem to add an N, "TuiLANGi".

Tuilagi is another one. A lot of British announcers seem to add an N, "TuiLANGi".

without a doubt the most annoying thing from English commentators. So, so....so weird. It's like the "I think I have an ideaarrrrrr", WHERE THE FKKKKK DO YOU GET AN 'R' SOUND FROM ??!!! WHEEERRREE ??!!!
"Oh what a break from Manu Tuilannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggii".
It's like they're trying to sound exotic and authentic, but really they're just randomly butchering a surname. That same annoying pundit also says "Nakatathhhhi" but I don't know if Fijians maybe pronounce it that way, so won't criticize. But it's spelled "Noa Nakaitaci", there's a 'C' there, the third letter in the alphabet.

IDEAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR..
(you're writing a letter):

ideaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr James,
it's come to my attention lately you haven't been......

Yeah, I've heard George Kruis' name pronounced like 4 different ways. It's "Krouse" ie dutch: huis = house.

I thought that's the right way? With the N sound?

There are some consonants that are pronounced differently.
They don't follow the Latin alphabet.

In Samoan "N" is pronounced as "ng" so Tuilagi is pronounced "Two-Ih-Lang-Ee".
You could say "lung" instead of "lang" but that's more to do with accent than actual pronunciation.

In Fijian:
-"C" is "Th" - so Nakaitaci is "Nak-Ai-Tathi".
-"Q" is pronounced as "Ng" so Qera is "N-ger-a"
-"G" is "Ng" So Rokoduguni is pronounced "Roko-dun-guni"

I'm sure there are more, but those are the most common differences.

Last edited:
Doesn't much of it depend on the commentators own accents? I mean, look at the British (a.k.a. 'proper English') accent...in many cases Brits add an 'r' at the end of names ending in 'a', such as Jessicer (Jessica), and Melisser (Melissa). So although it is annoying to hear a name mispronounced by commentators, can't we just write some of it off to regional accents, and just sit back and laugh at their mispronunciations? I mean, that's what I do when people mispronounce my name...

:p

das

Last edited by a moderator:
I mean, look at the British (a.k.a. 'proper English') accent...in many cases Brits add an 'r' at the end of names ending in 'a', such as Jessicer (Jessica), and Melisser (Melissa).

Err... no they don't? Unless it's an American putting on a very bad accent!

Some of it is down to accent, but you get commentators adding or subtracing entire ****ing syllables to names or completely misreading them.
I find it quite disrespectful - certainly there are some names that are straight up difficult to pronounce, but all it takes is about 5 minutes to go through a team sheet and ensure you know how to say someones' name correctly.

Cracking up :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
how had Eddie Butler not smacked him in the back of the head and told him once and for all, amazing...

Err... no they don't?

Yes, yes they do. I have talked with a couple English friends about it and they do NOT hear it in their accents, but we Americans do. It's very grating on our sensitive ears, too. :) But I'll live. ;) The first time I noticed it was as a kid, watching Logan's Run - York's character called Agutter's character 'Jessicer' on several occasions...and ever since that 'er' has stuck out like a sore thumb to me...in my ear.

:)

das

Yes, yes they do. I have talked with a couple English friends about it and they do NOT hear it in their accents, but we Americans do. It's very grating on our sensitive ears, too. :) But I'll live. ;) The first time I noticed it was as a kid, watching Logan's Run - York's character called Agutter's character 'Jessicer' on several occasions...and ever since that 'er' has stuck out like a sore thumb to me...in my ear.

:)

das

yeah it's part of what I mention higher on the thread. IdeaaRRRRRRRR. I spoke to an English friend about it too and he's a mega intellectual who notices everything in language, is fascinated by language...etc...he couldn't agree or disagree, he just "oh yeah ?...hmm..."

"Well that sounds like a good ideaaRRRRRR, doesn't it MelissERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR ?", asked JessicaRRRRR (yeah, even the narrator is English in my story).

The "Jessicer" thing tends to happen when the next word starts with a vowel or h or something like that. It does happen, all the time. It's kind of funny that you guys don't notice it :p.

I didn't know about the g being ng, I guess I stand corrected on Tuilagi.

I have no idea how Ayerza becomes Ahzjerza, but I knew spanish has some odd ones so I just assumed I didn't know that one.

Latest posts