• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Oceanic name pronunciation...

"Worreh"? Sounds like maybe she was from Missoureh. ;)

I have a distinct accent, or dialect...or whatever...like 'water' - is 'wooder'. And 'library' is 'lieberry'. And 'jaguar' is 'jagwire'.

I can't stand that one! :p

I see what you're getting at with the Mizzurah, but the worry thing is different.... like, "worr-ay" but softer. "Worreh" is actually how I'd write it too. I know a lady from Manchester who sounds like that. Het "but" sounds like "boht" with the T barely pronounced.

We are getting off track here :lol:

I never noticed that :)

when you think about it, that sentence can never be used, logically.

tim-and-eric-mind-blown.gif

Good point ... I never noticed that :)

... I have trouble pronouncing (and spelling) Prairie, which makes it difficult to support my local pro team, the Prairie Wolf Pack :)

Like this: Prayer (rhymes with stair) -EE. Prair- ee. NOT Pray-ree.

Edit: I guess it kind of slurs in the middle. Prair-ree

Now I'm going to be muttering prairie to myself all day...

when you think about it, that sentence can never be used, logically.

tim-and-eric-mind-blown.gif

LOL ... yes, I guess I should have said, "I never noticed that until you pointed it out" :)

Like this: Prayer (rhymes with stair) -EE. Prair- ee. NOT Pray-ree.

Edit: I guess it kind of slurs in the middle. Prair-ree

Now I'm going to be muttering prairie to myself all day...

Yep, I know, I really have more trouble with the spelling, and I was trying to make the topic more about "General Rugby" ... I guess I could have made it more Oceanic as well by referring to how some pronounce Tonga (Tong- ga, when it's Tong-a), when referring to the Tongan Rugby side

Last edited:
ooh that's unfortunate, what with all the daily requirements for that word..hey, so is that Pennsylvanian ? or are you just weird as hell ? :lol:

I love how this is in General Rugby Union..

The latter.

Also - this is very specific to Rugby Union! Why? Because had it not been for the union game, and my love thereof, I wouldn't be here wasting valuable time with you blokes, talking about how funny and/or annoying we all talk. ;)

das

LOL ... yes, I guess I should have said, "I never noticed that until you pointed it out" :)

Yep, I know, I really have more trouble with the spelling, and I was trying to make the topic more about "General Rugby" ... I guess I could have made it more Oceanic as well by referring to how some pronounce Tonga (Tong- ga, when it's Tong-a), when referring to the Tongan Rugby side

I've noticed the Tonga thing... thats actually why i thought Tuilagi was wrong, because is doesn't have the G and Tonga does.

Madagascan National Rugby Union Team

1. Rodolphe Randriamanantena
2. Hasina Rakotoarivelo
3. Christian Andrianjaka
4. Tolotra Ramaromiantso
5. Claudio Ravelonomenjanahary
6. Toussaint Rabearilala
7. Rodolphe Andriambololona
8. Tahiana Randrianarisoa
9. Bienvenue Mananja Rasoa
10. José Rakoto Harison (captain)
11. Jacquot Hary Nirina
12. Rija Rakotoarimanana
13. Lantoniaina Rakotoarisoa
14. Bejaniaina Rakotoarivelo
15. Bernard Razafindranaivo

16. Vonjiniaina Andriamananjara
17. Donald Rakotomialoha
18. Bruno Rakotonirina
19. Tiana Ravelomanatsoa
20. Simon Randrianantenaina
21. Herilaza Ramanoelina
22. Herizo Rasoanaivo

Coach: Berthin Rafalimanana

Madagascan National Rugby Union Team

1. Rodolphe Randriamanantena
2. Hasina Rakotoarivelo
3. Christian Andrianjaka
4. Tolotra Ramaromiantso
5. Claudio Ravelonomenjanahary
6. Toussaint Rabearilala
7. Rodolphe Andriambololona
8. Tahiana Randrianarisoa
9. Bienvenue Mananja Rasoa
10. José Rakoto Harison (captain)
11. Jacquot Hary Nirina
12. Rija Rakotoarimanana
13. Lantoniaina Rakotoarisoa
14. Bejaniaina Rakotoarivelo
15. Bernard Razafindranaivo

16. Vonjiniaina Andriamananjara
17. Donald Rakotomialoha
18. Bruno Rakotonirina
19. Tiana Ravelomanatsoa
20. Simon Randrianantenaina
21. Herilaza Ramanoelina
22. Herizo Rasoanaivo

Coach: Berthin Rafalimanana

i dont have the faintest idea how to pronounce the majority of that

Anyone remember playing Jonah Lomu Rugby and one of the teams (Thailand?) had players with the longest names ever. The commentary was classic

I just cannot pass up this opportunity to post Billy Birmingham (the 12th Man) doing an imitation of the voice of on Ray "Rabs" Warren announcing the New Zealand Rugby League team.

WARNING: Contains the odd swear word and sexual innuendo. If you haven't seen this before, I suggest you put your coffee mug down somewhere well away from the keyboard !

Last edited by a moderator:
arg comentators also suck!! they Mispronouce english french and almost everithing (not italian)
you have to consider that some of the english sounds like th doesent exsist in spanish we would pronounce "t" and it goes the other way its obvious that a brit would mispronounce Guiñazú (gui) ñ and some other sounds of spanish are imposible for english speaking people!
Ewis: that imanhoff thing is hillarious!!! specially because there´s nothing dificult about imhoff which seems like a german surname anyway.

I do wish commentators took a few seconds to check tricky names with players themselves. Since I'm Japanese, the one that stands out is Shota Horie - it's "ho-ree-eh", not "horry".

Also, Jerome Kaino. Everyone says "KAY-no", but isn't it supposed to be "KY-no"?

Also, Jerome Kaino. Everyone says "KAY-no", but isn't it supposed to be "KY-no"?

Yes.

Also, Samoan and Tongan names quite often have an apostrophe between two vowels. The apostrophe denotes a "glottal stop", a vocal gap in the pronunciation. Commentators often miss this out, for example, when pronouncing Ma'a Nonu's first name, they call him "Mah". His first name is spelled "Ma'a" and it is pronounced.... "Mah ah".

Another example is Rodney So'oialo. Hearing ignorant commentators pronounce it "Soyahlo" really chaps my arse! Its pronounced "Soh oh oyahlo"

Earl Va'a
Ilaisa Ma'asi
Sateki Mata'u
Ti'i Paulo
Leo Lafaiali'i

There is really no excuse for commentators and journalists not getting these names right, its just laziness. They have relatively easy access to these players; some of them even have them on their mobile phone contact lists. If the player's name has an unusual spelling, its a simple matter to just ask them how its pronounced?

Last edited:
I remember two examples

Joeli Vidiri (Grant Nesbitt pronounced it ViNdiri)
Joe Rocokoko (pronounced Roco-thoko)

Latest posts