• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Oceanic name pronunciation...

oh and just since we're on this topic, might as well pack some shiit out: I know French ppl succkkkk miserably at English; but as far as pronouncing French names please, say it "Picamol", not Picamowwl-zzz, it seriously sounds like "Pick-ah Moles !" some weird board game or wtvr...

...mmmmoleh moleh moleh moleh moleh.

Find me a video of this "er" thing you're talking about.

:lol:

I've got one. I'm going to up it to YT just for the sake of this thread..

Oh... but there isn't an "r" pronounced there.

Americans pronounce it "I-dee-aa", whereas we would pronounce it "I-deuh"
If anything we actually don't pronounce the "R" in Deer! As in "Dea"

We have much softer R's than Americans do.

In words that end in R you pronounce it where we don't.
"Fluffer" for example. We'd say "Fluff-ah", where you'd say "Fluff-Err".
It's actually one of the most obvious and consistent difference between our accents.

Last edited:

there, yes, JUST for you guys. I remembered this episode of NBA Action on my hard drive had an English narrator going crazy with the ERRRRR's, so there ya go..

The English will pronounce R's that don't exist and won't pronounce the ones that do :p I know it's their language, but there's definitely inconsistency from written to spoken language. That's why I'm happy I speak with a very neutral American-type accent, to me it's always been more consistent.

Last edited by a moderator:
[video=youtube;bLNWtwKXdXU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLNWtwKXdXU&feature=youtu.be

there, yes, JUST for you guys. I remembered this episode of NBA Action on my hard drive had an English narrator going crazy with the ERRRRR's, so there ya go..

The English will pronounce R's that don't exist and won't pronounce the ones that do :p I know it's their language, but there's definitely inconsistency from written to spoken language. That's why I'm happy I speak with a very neutral American-type accent, to me it's always been more consistent.

"Minnesoter"...lol. :lol:

So, yeah. What I said. :)

das

Oh... but there isn't an "r" pronounced there.

Americans pronounce it "I-dee-aa", whereas we would pronounce it "I-deuh"
If anything we actually don't pronounce the "R" in Deer! As in "Dea"

We have much softer R's than Americans do.

In words that end in R you pronounce it where we don't.
"Fluffer" for example. We'd say "Fluff-ah", where you'd say "Fluff-Err".
It's actually one of the most obvious and consistent difference between our accents.

Maybe on your poncy posh boy side of London but over here in the real London, the East.........

No your right, but to the untrained ear that 'ah' is an R.

hey real quick, you guys know that "I'm in my mum's caaaar, broom broom" chick ? The vine ? What accent is that, I actually appreciate it a lot (no joke). I reckon northern but could be way off.
I spoke to this (English) chick once who pronounced the letter 'H' "Haych", as opposed to "aych", like, with an 'hhh' sound at the start. She said she was Northern, apart from the H thing I found her accent attractive. She would say "eh" in stead of "ee" at the end of words, like "worreh" for "worry".

Please let me know.

Maybe on your poncy posh boy side of London but over here in the real London, the East.........

No your right, but to the untrained ear that 'ah' is an R.

Nah...it's an 'r'. Ah...would be...AH! Not ARRR - that's pirate talk. ;)

Another word that used to bug my sensitive dog...I mean, American... ears is the British pronunciation of 'dad'. To me, it sounds like 'daDT'. I'm like, 'there's no T in there!' Then I realized in British English the second D is a hard D, whereas in most American English the second D in 'dad' is soft, or just sort of stifled on the roof of the mouth. Of course, after I analyzed the difference between the two English accents I started pronouncing 'dad' as 'daDT'... :p

Bloody Brits.

:)

das

Nah...it's an 'r'. Ah...would be...AH! Not ARRR - that's pirate talk. ;)

Another word that used to bug my sensitive dog...I mean, American... ears is the British pronunciation of 'dad'. To me, it sounds like 'daDT'. I'm like, 'there's no T in there!' Then I realized in British English the second D is a hard D, whereas in most American English the second D in 'dad' is soft, or just sort of stifled on the roof of the mouth. Of course, after I analyzed the difference between the two English accents I started pronouncing 'dad' as 'daDT'... :p

Bloody Brits.

das

I would just attribute that to their Germanic origins. English largely spawns from germanic linguistic roots as we all know and there are occasions where the accent joins the Germans' for e.g., some sounds. Like "blood" is just a softer "blut" (german), so it's only natural you'll find some English accents closer to the Germanic root, phonetically. The "ahhh" thing for e.g., like in "car"=cahh or "better"=bettahh is something the Germans do as well, they'll naturally suspend the 'R' at the end of a word.
My dad's name is Pierre and on his German family's side they call him "Peter" but pronounce it "petah" just as one e.g...

Some pronunciations have been give-aways to me as to the origins. We all know "tomato" came from the French into the English language as a linguistic reality, but the fact the English pronounce it in a peculiar way, i.e. away from the standard phonetic rules: "tomahto" as opposed to tom-ate-oh I reckon shows you they meant to preserve the original pronunciation. In French it's "tomate", pronounced "tom-at".
Just like France isn't pronounced Fran-s but has that open Fraahh nce, as to better fit the way the French say it, i.e. the source.

I am one that's guilty of the "R" on the end thing ... here in the frozen north, I often get called out by my Canadian friends for saying Can-nad-der, instead of Can-nad-da

I can only put this down to over compensating, as we Kiwis can have a tendency to leave out the "R" , for example Packer becomes Pack-ka.

The fact that many people here think I'm English perplexes me, I get that the accent is different, I accept that it's similar to Australian, but English?

On the topic of Oceanic names, I think that the pronunciation of pacific island names has got a lot better by the commentators over the last few years ... I use to cringe at the Australian commentators calling Lote Tuqiri , Lot-tee T-Kerry.

Like many have said, it takes little effort to research and get it somewhere close to right, and, if your job involves pronouncing it on TV, I think it's unprofessional not to do so.

When I first came to Canader ... er, sorry, I mean Canada :), there was a female presenter that did a daily sports round up on a nation wide sports channel, that insisted on calling South African cricketer, A.B de Villiers, Abe de-vill-e-ah. I get that the surname is probably pronounced something close to that in French, but to not do the research, and find out that the AB are his initials is unforgivable IMO

I would just attribute that to their Germanic origins. English largely spawns from germanic linguistic roots as we all know and there are occasions where the accent joins the Germans' for e.g., some sounds. Like "blood" is just a softer "blut" (german), so it's only natural you'll find some English accents closer to the Germanic root, phonetically. The "ahhh" thing for e.g., like in "car"=cahh or "better"=bettahh is something the Germans do as well, they'll naturally suspend the 'R' at the end of a word.
My dad's name is Pierre and on his German family's side they call him "Peter" but pronounce it "petah" just as one e.g...

Some pronunciations have been give-aways to me as to the origins. We all know "tomato" came from the French into the English language as a linguistic reality, but the fact the English pronounce it in a peculiar way, i.e. away from the standard phonetic rules: "tomahto" as opposed to tom-ate-oh I reckon shows you they meant to preserve the original pronunciation. In French it's "tomate", pronounced "tom-at".
Just like France isn't pronounced Fran-s but has that open Fraahh nce, as to better fit the way the French say it, i.e. the source.

I like your explanation as to why I drop my "R"s Bet-tah, I mean better :)

So what are you saying with the whole Tomato thing Tomahto and Tom-ate-oh are both wrong?

Last edited:
English is Germanic, not German. (I know you probably know that, just clarifying)
It's much more similar to Frisian, Icelandic, Swedish, Danish and Norwegian than it is to German.

If you listen to Geordie (North-East England) accents they actually sound very Scandinavian.
A lot of them still say "Hus" instead of "House" for example.

English regional accents/dialects are still very, very different in some cases - but up until very, very recently (last 100 or so years) the differences were even more stark than they are now.
Some day I'd quite like to learn Old English.

Last edited:
I am one that's guilty of the "R" on the end thing ... here in the frozen north, I often get called out by my Canadian friends for saying Can-nad-der, instead of Can-nad-da

I can only put this down to over compensating, as we Kiwis can have a tendency to leave out the "R" , for example Packer becomes Pack-ka.

The fact that many people here think I'm English perplexes me, I get that the accent is different, I accept that it's similar to Australian, but English?

On the topic of Oceanic names, I think that the pronunciation of pacific island names has got a lot better by the commentators over the last few years ... I use to cringe at the Australian commentators calling Lote Tuqiri , Lot-tee T-Kerry.

Like many have said, it takes little effort to research and get it somewhere close to right, and, if your job involves pronouncing it on TV, I think it's unprofessional not to do so.

When I first came to Canader ... er, sorry, I mean Canada :), there was a female presenter that did a daily sports round up on a nation wide sports channel, that insisted on calling South African cricketer, A.B de Villiers, Abe de-vill-e-ah. I get that the surname is probably pronounced something close to that in French, but to not do the research, and find out that the AB are his initials is unforgivable IMO

I like your explanation as to why I drop my "R"s Bet-tah, I mean better :)

So what are you saying with the whole Tomato thing Tomahto and Tom-ate-oh are both wrong?

Im more surprised by the fact cricket got onto a Canadian news report :lol:

Im more surprised by the fact cricket got onto a Canadian news report :lol:

I hear you, and not just once, she made the same ummn ... error, several times on different days ... funnily enough, there are decent sized West Indian populations, as well as East Indian and Pakistanis, then there's that quaint little Australian town ... what's it called, oh yeah ... Banff ...so cricket sometimes gets a decent showing :)

hey real quick, you guys know that "I'm in my mum's caaaar, broom broom" chick ? The vine ? What accent is that, I actually appreciate it a lot (no joke). I reckon northern but could be way off.
I spoke to this (English) chick once who pronounced the letter 'H' "Haych", as opposed to "aych", like, with an 'hhh' sound at the start. She said she was Northern, apart from the H thing I found her accent attractive. She would say "eh" in stead of "ee" at the end of words, like "worreh" for "worry".

Please let me know.

"Worreh"? Sounds like maybe she was from Missoureh. ;)

I have a distinct accent, or dialect...or whatever...like 'water' - is 'wooder'. And 'library' is 'lieberry'. And 'jaguar' is 'jagwire'. I should make a recording of it since it's hard to find anything on youtube that's exactly like mine.

Speaking of youtube - perhaps someone who knows how to pronounce the Oceanic names correctly should make a tutorial video for rugby announcers! Can't hurt!

das

I hear you, and not just once, she made the same ummn ... error, several times on different days ... funnily enough, there are decent sized West Indian populations, as well as East Indian and Pakistanis, then there's that quaint little Australian town ... what's it called, oh yeah ... Banff ...so cricket sometimes gets a decent showing :)

Reminds me of when I was living in Southampton I used to catch a bus to a place called Bevois Valley - I thought it would be pronounced Be-vwoah Valley until the driver went, "nah mate its called Beevis, it aint that posh"

"Worreh"? Sounds like maybe she was from Missoureh. ;)

I have a distinct accent, or dialect...or whatever...like 'water' - is 'wooder'. And 'library' is 'lieberry'. And 'jaguar' is 'jagwire'. I should make a recording of it since it's hard to find anything on youtube that's exactly like mine.

ooh that's unfortunate, what with all the daily requirements for that word..hey, so is that Pennsylvanian ? or are you just weird as hell ? :lol:

I love how this is in General Rugby Union..

ooh that's unfortunate, what with all the daily requirements for that word..hey, so is that Pennsylvanian ? or are you just weird as hell ? :lol:

I love how this is in General Rugby Union..

Good point ... I never noticed that :)

... I have trouble pronouncing (and spelling) Prairie, which makes it difficult to support my local pro team, the Prairie Wolf Pack :)