• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

O'Driscoll voted player of the championship

A

An Tarbh

Not surprisingly Brian O'Driscoll has been voted player of the championship.

Sergio Parisse came second in the fans poll with Paul O'Connell in third place.

Think it's the 3rd time he's won the award.

He won it in 2006, 2007 and now 2009. Surely he gets to keep it now and they just vote for 2nd best player of the tournament from now on?

Well it was 50/50 between him and Parisse, but O'Driscoll proved beyond all doubt why he is arguably the greatest 13 ever to play rugby.

We knew when he mezmerized defences back in his prime that he was world class. He scored unbelievable tries back then, finishing in the narrowest of channels.

Before the 6 Nations, many people, myself included, said that he looked like he'd started to roll down the hill.

In the 6 Nations, we saw him rub that in our faces. His defence was awesome, tackling with the ferocity of Schalk Burger and the backtracking ability of Josh Lewsey all rolled into one. He played this tournament at 13, but he was an auxilliary forward and fly-half for Ireland when they needed him most. How many burrows have we seen repelled from forward white-line fever? Not O'Driscolls. The tries against England and Wales came after the entire Irish pack had failed to score from close range. It took mr special to come in and score. O'Driscoll stepped into O'choker's quaking boots to score an important drop-goal too. Truly awesome, and thouroughly deserved.

:(

I really don't hate BOD, or think he's over rated at all...and I do moan about him a lot I guess.

BUT PARISSE WAS THE f***ING MAN, HE SHOULD HAVE GOT IT ON THE MERIT OF BEING 15 MEN AT ONCE SOMETIMES.

I did especially love his behind the back passes into thin air at times, definitely worthy of player of the tournament for some of those.

I just think that some people are bit extreme with their Parisse love-in, no doubt he's a class act but some of the praise is almost chabalesque

Parisse's praise is a bit more deserved than Chabal's though. In fact, it's incomparable. Chabal's not really that good a player. International standard yes, but hardly one of the top three players in the French pack, let alone anything else.

Ginger's analysis spot on.

Above all, BOD made the difference when it mattered. Giant. And I think he'll kick on from here.

He usually looks smug - that D4 self satisfaction - but O'Roth's picture says it all after nine years close to the top: Ecstasy

_45589551_bodindex.jpg

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Mar 27 2009, 08:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I just think that some people are bit extreme with their Parisse love-in, no doubt he's a class act but some of the praise is almost chabalesque[/b]

Not as extreme as your backing for BOD, perhaps?

Just because he flip passes into thin air, whose fault was that? Not Parisse as if he had done it with colleagues who were fit for purpose like..well..anyone in the squads of the World top 10 right now, his flip passes would have been received and gone on to score tries.

Don't shoot the messenger. If his praise is almost chabalesque, theres a reason for it!

Parisse was the player of the Six Nations. End of story!

are you after the biggest bullshitter award as well. :p

How totally one eyed of me to defend O'Driscoll who was clearly the player of the championship, when a player of his ilk produces his best 6N I think it's fair to say it was the right call.

Agree that Parisse should have won, but he was never going to, wasn't he? O'Driscoll was awesome this year, and I don't bemoan him getting the player of the championship. But if Parisse was playing for Ireland, winning the grand slam, he'd have got it for his consistently unbelievable performances, end of!

But at the end of they day, there's always gonna be these debates, unless there's a truly stand out player like Shane Williams was last year :p.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Mar 27 2009, 08:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

How totally one eyed of me to defend O'Driscoll who was clearly the player of the championship (and Irish), when a player of his ilk produces his best 6N I think it's fair to say it was the right call.[/b]

Fixed for justice. PROTIP: You really need to take down that Tricolor of yours when making posts of that nature.

Booo Doc, Hiiissss, boooooo! :bravo:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dullonien @ Mar 28 2009, 09:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Agree that Parisse should have won, but he was never going to, wasn't he? O'Driscoll was awesome this year, and I don't bemoan him getting the player of the championship. But if Parisse was playing for Ireland, winning the grand slam, he'd have got it for his consistently unbelievable performances, end of!

But at the end of they day, there's always gonna be these debates, unless there's a truly stand out player like Shane Williams was last year :p .[/b]
No debate: Parisse is the best player in a horribly poor team, BOD won the Slam. End of.

Welshers and Englanders have to put up with it. Bothers you, not me.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ Mar 27 2009, 11:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Mar 27 2009, 08:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How totally one eyed of me to defend O'Driscoll who was clearly the player of the championship (and Irish), when a player of his ilk produces his best 6N I think it's fair to say it was the right call.[/b]

Fixed for justice. PROTIP: You really need to take down that Tricolor of yours when making posts of that nature.

Booo Doc, Hiiissss, boooooo! :bravo:
[/b][/quote]

quite predictable that you try and paint me as a one eyed fan but were I any other nationality I'd have the exact same point of view but you edit my statement further to fit your point if that makes you feel better rather than taking the merits of my argument on board.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shtove @ Mar 27 2009, 10:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
No debate: Parisse is the best player in a horribly poor team, BOD won the Slam. End of.
Welshers and Englanders have to put up with it. Bothers you, not me.[/b]

That kinda sums it up for me too. No time for begrudgery.

Parisse may be excellent by English or Welsh standards, but us Irish, well we like to aim higher ;)

Latest posts