• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Offensive Team Names

The issue isn't that Exeter fans, team and owners are trying to cause offence. The issue is they use that imagery without any thought of people the imagery represents. Which are a living breathing people that have been oppressed.

We wouldn't call a team the Yiddish Gold Diggers and then wear Yamaka's.

I'm not against the name Cheifs but what is done is in extension to that should be given some thought. Awareness is best thing creating links with the communities in America. Reality is Chiefs marketing team just want to sell more tat.

This.

I'm mean is the reason Exeter haven't exactly pushed for ties with Native america tribes due to the fact they no they won't support it? I mean they are a smallish team in a smallish sport so attention across the pond won't happen, and there will always be the odd Professor trying to make a name for themselves (I mean she obv didn't research the club at all).

although i don't understand why Exeter didn't go down the Celtic route? I mean Devon was the main spot for Dumnonia and the whole south east has huge celtic ties.

Exeter Chiefs with a Celtic chieftain on it makes more sense in my eyes.

Meh. Politically correct BS

Change "Saracens" because the name promotes the war crimes of the 12th Century Crusades and appropriates Islamic culture and imagary

Change "Crusaders" because the name promotes the war crimes of the 12th Century Crusades and appropriates Medieval Christian culture and imagary

Change "Highlanders" because the name is insulting to both Scottish people and immortal swordsmen

Change "Sale Sharks" because the name is offensive to fish

Change "Wasps" name because its offensive to insects

Tell this stupid PC ***** to go **** herself.

(Readers will understand by now that I hate Political Correctness)

Maybe not in pop culture but it also doesn't have the baggage.

I mean the Celtic history is a very rich one TBF.

I don't disagree.

I think people are wary of using imagery that can be linked to supremacy - much more wary than they are of things that might be seen as appropriation, anyway.

Redskins name is obvisously offensive
Other names are okay as long as the imagery associated with the team is not offensive ( like the Indians chief wahoo logo here in the states)
It seams that teams outside of the United States are much more respectful of the way they use other cultures names in sports teams)

I don't disagree.

I think people are wary of using imagery that can be linked to supremacy - much more wary than they are of things that might be seen as appropriation, anyway.

How are the celts linked with supremacy? Saxons i could maybe understand where you are coming from but Celts.

Don't we know very little about the Celts and most of stems from Roman propoganda because they were brutally surpassed?

A lot of very unreasonable people out there Tigs... but yes - celtic symbolism is used by white supremacists.

white nationalists really like taking other cultures images... The swatskiza was Hindi and now they are tattooing themselves with all types of Celtic stuff

Well... a lot of them are of Irish descent, so it's not really appropriation in that sense.

What a nice bunch of walkers I was aware of this which is a shame as I know a few people in the LARPingredients community in Britain and they use Celtic symbology for a completely different kind of misappropriation.

How on earth is this offensive? Redskins I can see as being very touchy but this is a stinking pile. I'd be the last to call someone a "liberal cuck pussy" (we already have someone for that), but this is just attacking non issues.
If I wanted to kick up a fuss at Irish people constantly being portrayed as violent drunks who breed like rabbits in media (eg Notre Dame fighting Irish, a school in Indiana with no discernible Irish links), I could, but no one would give a ****, myself included because I don't have a victim complex. The only outrage I can think of which came close here was Channel Four allegedly commissioning a comedy series about the famine, which also didn't really bother me in the slightest.

Redskins name is obviously offensive

What a load of old horse-cock.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/201...-history-behind-the-name-washington-redskins/

[TEXTAREA]“Ninety percent of Native Americans feel that the name isn’t offensive and shouldn’t be changed,â€

“Students at primarily Native American schools all across America wear the name with pride, and say now they’re afraid they might lose the name. At Kingston Oklahoma high school, which is 58 percent Native American, the name ‘Redskins’ has been worn by its students for 104 years. In fact, ‘Redskins’ was a name first used by Native Americans.â€[/TEXTAREA]

When the name does not offend the vast majority of people it is supposed to offend then its not offensive, and you have to then wonder who is actually driving this. The claim that it offends Native Americans is made only by a bunch of interfering busybody Social Justice Warriors who make in their business to stick their unwanted noses into other people business.

Additionally, what the these Social Justice Warriors don't even realise (because most of them are too ignorant to know and too stupid to find out) is that the term "Redskin" does not actually refer to the natural skin tone of Native Americans (which is in fact brown like any other descendent of the Paleo-Siberian people who crossed Beringian land bridge over 15,000 years ago). "Redskin" actually refers to how braves appeared in battle. The name comes from the red clay (called "catlinite") that Native American warriors used to apply to their faces before going into battle. The name is used proudly and has never been used as a pejorative term.

I'm not saying that.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm struggling to make sense of that sentence, if I'm honest. From what I can make out I'm not sure I agree with it, but as I say... I can't quite get my head around it.

Must stop watching Yes Minister.

People from Anglo-Saxon cultures mainly have it good. That's my point made simple. Therefore, how we feel about our culture and heritage is going to have some differences from the way people from cultures that don't have it good feel.

Therefore trying to extrapolate how they should feel and take things from our own experiences makes no sense to me.

SC - Uhh, just google it. Redskins totally has history as a pejorative term.

edit: This is a pretty good piece on the subject - http://deadspin.com/redskins-a-natives-guide-to-debating-an-inglorious-1445909360

Last edited:
Anglo Saxons were invaded and ruled by Normans, the trouble is that we, now... what we refer to as an Anglo Saxon culture... are actually the result of that subjugation, and we consider ourselves free.
Granted, they weren't systematically wiped out, but conflating modern Britain's status with Anglo Saxon status is inaccurate IMO.

Latest posts