• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Offensive Team Names

My wife and I were discussing this whole subject, and she made a great suggestion for a possible new Exeter name.

Exeter have the Jurassic Coast on their doorstep, so a definite link to dinosaur ages they can claim to.
Maybe the Exeter Raptors?
The fans could change the chant for those velociraptor voice box whistles used by the great Sam Neil in the movie.

Pure accuracy for dinosaurs actually from the Jurassic period, if desired, would not mean Velociraptor unfortunately. Apparently there was an Ozraptor though.

I'm sorry what's wrong with the Exeter chiefs as a name?

Ignoring anyone's views on their Native American marketing, the name would be fine if accompanied with some Celtic chieften art or something of the like.

The name in itself isn't offensive if you change the context of it.

Ignoring anyone's views on their Native American marketing, the name would be fine if accompanied with some Celtic chieften art or something of the like.

The name in itself isn't offensive if you change the context of it.
Nothing wrong with the name, if you change the context of it as you say.

I was simply just sharing an idea talking about an Exeter club and the Jurassic Coast link.

I don't think anyone is legitimately calling for it. Other the mild speculation by some of suggestions. Or deliberate misunderstanding that it isn't about spefic Native American imagery which is a standard tactic for this sort of thing to pretend it's about something the vast majority haven't raised but is way more controversial.

See Marxism and Footballer kneeling.

Might clash with the Cornish All Blacks who were in the championship I want to say 10 or so years ago
07/08 in the old National 1. I think that it was around then that they received a cease and desistletter from the NZRU. I can't remember how it was resolved, but they still use the name. It would be a rough trick to Exeter to pinch the name of a side 40 miles or so down the road, although they're already standing on the toes of other westcountry clubs who refer to their first team as the "chiefs" by claiming it as their own. If someone in my home town asks me who "the chiefs" are playing today, I would tell them that they're away to Esher today.

I don't think there's anything CABs could do though, Taunton adopted the ***ans moniker while they were at level four, despite the fact that Rotherham were already using it at level 2. Presumably they couldn't think of anything else starting with a "T"!

I wonder if that tactic will work on my wife?
"There are more important things in this country than the dog crap on our lawn; so it can stay there"
Gotta start doing that at work. "I know we need to respond to that discovery request by next week but I read the news today and now I'm sad"

07/08 in the old National 1. I think that it was around then that they received a cease and desistletter from the NZRU. I can't remember how it was resolved, but they still use the name. It would be a rough trick to Exeter to pinch the name of a side 40 miles or so down the road, although they're already standing on the toes of other westcountry clubs who refer to their first team as the "chiefs" by claiming it as their own. If someone in my home town asks me who "the chiefs" are playing today, I would tell them that they're away to Esher today.

I don't think there's anything CABs could do though, Taunton adopted the ***ans moniker while they were at level four, despite the fact that Rotherham were already using it at level 2. Presumably they couldn't think of anything else starting with a "T"!
There's a club in Galway called the Connemara All Blacks and I don't think they've ever had any issues legally!

There's a club in Galway called the Connemara All Blacks and I don't think they've ever had any issues legally!
I managed to find an old news article about it, it looks like the NZRU kicked up a fuss when Launceston tried to register Cornish All Blacks as a UK trademark.

Poor from Nick Cain
As a tweet I read earlier on said, I suppose that he thinks that the Black And White Minstrels were a salute to black music and dance.

It staggers me how many people are arrogant enough to think that they're better qualified to decide how Native American people feel than they themselves are.

Is it a win win for Exeter if the Native American stuff gets banned?

1. Because they don't have to offend fans who like the branding (as they are forced to remove it)

And

2. They remove the branding so all the fans that dislike it it's gone.

Are Exeter just waiting to be forced to remove it?

Is it a win win for Exeter if the Native American stuff gets banned?

1. Because they don't have to offend fans who like the branding (as they are forced to remove it)

And

2. They remove the branding so all the fans that dislike it it's gone.

Are Exeter just waiting to be forced to remove it?
No,

Because they are resisting it they are turning a lot of fans against them. As noted the everyone's 2nd team ideal they had. It does damage to the Exeter brand even post ban.

If they wanted the "be banned, everyone wins tactic" they wouldn't be giving everyone the bird about it. They'd be just saying "we thinks it's up to the RFU and we'd support them in the decision they make".

....is anyone else kind of sick of the franchise names in general? it was one thing when these nicknames were unofficial or just the mascot...but to make it the official name just sets them up to become dated...as we're seeing

whats wrong with Exeter RFC etc

I look at the highlanders logo that hasn;t changed since 1996 and its a bit cringeworthy and very 90's

i obviously follow wimbledon in the football, one of our nicknames is the dons, when MK moved up the road they were a bit of a laughing stock for including Dons in their official name

....is anyone else kind of sick of the franchise names in general? it was one thing when these nicknames were unofficial or just the mascot...but to make it the official name just sets them up to become dated...as we're seeing

whats wrong with Exeter RFC etc

I look at the highlanders logo that hasn;t changed since 1996 and its a bit cringeworthy and very 90's

i obviously follow wimbledon in the football, one of our nicknames is the dons, when MK moved up the road they were a bit of a laughing stock for including Dons in their official name
I think most traditional rugby fans were already over the franchise names in 1996 when they started happening (here).

But we weren't going to leave the sport anyway, so they're not for us. They're to attract new, younger viewers to help create a tribal affiliation.

Latest posts