• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Oh look, position advice

Deadmonton

Academy Player
I'm training to play rugby in the spring. I'm ~5'10", weigh ~170lb, shitty at running (kinda working on this, but cardio really isn't my strong point), but I am decently strong, especially in the lower body, and gaining strength rapidly (new to lifting). I'm going to be playing high school and U18(19?) in Canada, so it's not like I'll be competing at a high level and by the time training starts I'll have added probably at least 10 pounds. Position advice?

Absolutely depends on your ball handling skills, from what I can see you might be slightly short but playing in the 2nd row? Locks don't need to be enormous but they put the power down in the scrum and that all comes from the legs.

Flanker's a great position but if you find cardio difficult at this stage it might just about kill you... It's easily one of the most fitness intensive positions on the pitch. If you're just starting up I would have thought you'll start in the forwards (unless you're pretty quick), so try how to lift if you can? Lineout lifting is a crucial part of forward play and it'll be a massive plus if you don't have to learn from scratch with your school.

Latest posts