• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

OLLY BARKLEY to Gloucester

Just found out Gloucester have signed Olly Barkley from Bath on a 2 year contract. Im sure Bath will be gutted and he is a very good player but why on eath would we sign another centre when that is not an area of weakness. We need some big ball carrying, scrummaging front five players. Sometimes I really do wonder if Dean Ryan knows what he is doing. Also I hope that this does not hinder the progress of Allen as I see him as the long term England inside centre. I would be interested to hear what Bath fans think of such an important player leaving for one of its main and local rivals. This coming after the departure of Borthwick must point to some serious financial problems for Bath.

Have merged the two topics.

Does seem an odd signing for Gloucester to make. Even stranger for Barkley himself, I think he could have got similar (if not better) money elsewhere and guaranteed himself a starting spot.

This is getting crazy. Can we pass a rugby law limiting Gloucester to a maximum number of backs.

Is this how they're going to win the Guinness Premiership? By doing a microsoft and buying all the backs who score tries against them?

I thought Barkley would have stopped at Bath for life!
The way he and James have combined this year I'm surprised he's left before seeing how good they could have become.

Do Gloucester REALLY need Barkley? Surely not. There has to be some real trouble behind the scenes at Bath to lose ur decent English talent to rival clubs. I rate Barkley on the field, off the field... well.

The Bath Perspective

Barkley to Leave Bath Rugby
22 February 2008, 12:51 pm
By Kate Oram
After six years at Bath Rugby, Olly Barkley has decided to leave the club for pastures new.
Admitting yesterday that the decision was an incredibly difficult one to come to, he emphasised the impact the club has had upon him: “The club has played such a massive part in my life and everyone at Bath has been a great support to me as a player and as a person. I have the greatest respect for the players, coaches and support staff and I didn’t, by any means, make my decision lightly.â€

With Bath remaining in the upper tiers of the Guinness Premiership and remaining confident that further success is around the corner, Olly confirmed that he would continue with 100% commitment to the club until the end of the season: “I am determined to make this my best season for Bath and to help bring home some silverware.â€

With the inevitable question surrounding the timing of his decision to depart with Bath playing the most successful and exciting rugby the west country side has seen for a number of years, he was quick to explain: “Although I do believe Bath are going to go on to do great things, I feel that it is the right time for me to take on new challenges and explore other avenues in my career.â€

Speaking yesterday, Head Coach Steve Meehan had no doubt that Olly would remain fully committed to the end of the season: “I am positive that Olly’s efforts and commitment will continue until he departs. However, I am surprised. When you consider how far the team has come in last 18 months, the style of rugby we are playing, how involved he has been in its evolution and the relationship he has developed with Butch."

“We will however continue to strengthen the club and ensure that the club continues to play attractive, successful rugby.â€

Echoing Meehan’s sentiments, Chief Executive Bob Calleja added: “Olly is a lovable rogue and a very talented player. His departure will leave a gap, but this provides a great opportunity for the player who replaces him.â€

Simon Halliday, spoke earlier today of his disappointment of the departure of the centre saying: “We have to respect Olly’s reasons for his decision. He has given many years of loyal service to Bath for which we thank him and he has committed himself to try to help the club win a trophy this season. At an individual level, we wish him all the best for his future international career which is surely still ahead of him.

“Olly’s departure is a setback but will not deflect us from achieving our goal to regain our position as one of the leading clubs in European rugby. We have a number of new signings to announce, and will continue to strengthen the squad with the above goals in mind.â€

http://www.bathrugby.com/23_8748.php

I am very interested to see who these signings are that they are awaiting to announce...

Huge loss to Bath, but maybe it is time for some of the old to move on to other teams... Least it will stop Mite from winding me up about Barkley...

Do you think Gloucester's plan is to eventually buy every center in World Rugby?

Don't start that argument again!!!

I pronounce Webby the Winner, with the spelling centre

its a good deal but a waste of time on barkleys part. he was going along well with bath and getting regular rugby. this move could well crush the international hopes of either him or anthony allen and I knwo which one I'd prefer to see playing

other than a moev to wasps i think this move will allow Olly to be an england regular

How do you work that one out? At Bath, Barkley enjoys the 12 shirt all to himself while also taking over 10 duties while James is injured.

At Gloucester, he offeres nothing that either Lamb at 10 or Allen at 12 can't eclipse, so it's unlikely that he'll even get much game time for his club. If he's not playing for his club, why would he deserve an England call up?

Plus, playing for Bath often garantees a call up to the national side. that's the only possable explination I have for Mears selection.

From a Gloucester point of view I would rather see Barkley at 10 than Lamb. Lamb on his day is excellent going forward but when things are not going well he panicks and loses control. Very often he is aken off for a calmer head such as Walker or Patterson.Barkley is less spectacular but has a better all round game.Also he has a better attitude unlike Lamb who is a spoilt brat who needs a good hiding.

unlike Lamb who is a spoilt brat who needs a good hiding.
[/b]

And then he does stupid things like scoring a brace against Saracens just to put the wind up Barkley.

I'm not sure where I stand on this. Although I do like how the new wage cap affords us to do as Prestwick says, and just buy those who score tries against us. Hey, if it works, it works!

Although poaching some forwards wouldn't kill them, Jesus.

Latest posts