• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

One night's play - PS2

M

mikeeboy

3 annoying things to get out of the way:

"Anyone fancy a pie" at half time
"The permatan Gavin Henson" - funny once only.

Occasionaly a loose pass is thrown (only by the AI I think) which goes backwards about half the length of the pitch.

So to the gameplay. Wales v Italy. On fun, very easy get it to the winger, Normal, still easy, Intensive care, different story, didn't win a game.

It feels like JLR, it's very arcadey, especially when you switch play (amazing passes) but the game doesn't feel very satisfying to me.

Defense in the backs is tricky but maybe that's something to get used to.
Passing isn't quite as responsive as I'd hoped, often there's seems plenty of time to get a pass off but then you get tackled.
Rucks are disappointing, too slow, no opportunity for quick ball or a pick up and drive.
Forwards can break the gain line and gain some yards but when the break a tackle they seem to come to a standstill unable to perform any action for a second.
Pass, Pass, Get tackled, ruck pass, pass get tackled, repeat. That's not necessarily bad, that's waht JLR did, but do we expect more these days.
Offloads are great, risky but look good, although sometimes you think it should go to your man but it doesn't.

I need to play more, I'm not using very advanced techniques, but it's not doing it for me at the moment.

Originally posted by mikeeboy@Jan 26 2006, 10:15 PM
3 annoying things to get out of the way:

"Anyone fancy a pie" at half time
"The permatan Gavin Henson" - funny once only.

Occasionaly a loose pass is thrown (only by the AI I think) which goes backwards about half the length of the pitch.
<
<
<

Not heard the Henson comment yet. Comedy genius! The only bug like thing I've encountered so far is the pass you speak of. Very confuzzling!

Offer me sublime control and I will put up with things like that. If RL2 comes to xbox and they have fixed the control, I will be on it like a shot.

Originally posted by knowsleyroader@Jan 26 2006, 10:27 PM
Offer me sublime control and I will put up with things like that. If RL2 comes to xbox and they have fixed the control, I will be on it like a shot.
Full control at all times. And don't it feel good?

Originally posted by St Helens RLFC+Jan 26 2006, 10:28 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (St Helens RLFC @ Jan 26 2006, 10:28 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-knowsleyroader
@Jan 26 2006, 10:27 PM
Full control at all times. And don't it feel good? [/b]
Its sweet as. The graphics are so crisp on the PC as well. Can really recommend the PC version.

any chance of posting a few screenshots from the PC version the Knowsley?

A look at the Connacht jersey on field perhaps? Their starting line-up aswell if possible?

Will try if I get a chance, cant stop playing it at the moment. Just had the most amazing game England v France. What I love about it most is that im totally crap at it. I dont even try for the double pass to wings pass, pass, I just try to get into it which I find really easy.

Just played on fun and for the life of me I couldnt score. Went into sudden death and the clock seemed to stop of 199.00 ( not sure what halves I had it on ) ending up picking up about 7 injuries ( they run really slow but play on ) and ended up winning 5-0.

After a bit of play, imo this plays MUCH better than Rugby 06. I really like this game and really hope it can be edited to a more league-esq game
<

It may look arcady on the surface but in as much as it is, it isnt if that makes any sense. I like the rucks much better that 06 in that I feel I can get more momentum where 06 seems to just shift the balance in the blink of an eye.

Love it at the moment, but its prolonged play that seems to let a majority of rugby games down RL1 probably offering the most longevity for me.

Fingers crossed it stands up to some seriously solid play. I really like the AI, especially out wide as they cover very well.

good stuff... good to hear that it is going down well, I'm loooking forward to next thur/fri immensley now, when I'll do a late nighter to immerse myself in it

... and cheers in advance if you manage to pop up the odd Connacht screenie!

After a second night's play, I'm even more frustrated with this game.

The AI of your defensive backs is appalling, with gaps everywhere. I love a game to be hard, but when I'm conceding tries that I could do nothing about, even though I had equal numbers out wide, then that's a serious flaw in a game.

I've changed my mind about offloads too. The animation is good, but it is impossible to tell when is a good time to use it. When it looks like you've a player close by on the shoulder, it still goes to the opposition. Hardly ever goes to your player, rubbish.

First night, despite the irritants, I still found the game quite addictive, but last night it was driving me mad.

Well seeing as BOD ain't on the Leinster team i doubt it!! - How can you leave the captain off the team? i don't get it?

Originally posted by mikeeboy@Jan 27 2006, 08:54 PM
After a second night's play, I'm even more frustrated with this game.

The AI of your defensive backs is appalling, with gaps everywhere. I love a game to be hard, but when I'm conceding tries that I could do nothing about, even though I had equal numbers out wide, then that's a serious flaw in a game.

I've changed my mind about offloads too. The animation is good, but it is impossible to tell when is a good time to use it. When it looks like you've a player close by on the shoulder, it still goes to the opposition. Hardly ever goes to your player, rubbish.

First night, despite the irritants, I still found the game quite addictive, but last night it was driving me mad.
I had a bit of luck last night with my defence.
It seems that my team were always playing a drift defence...
so i would use R1 to select the closest man (once the ball has been let out) and slowly run a diagonal to the first centre. If their OH didn't pass, i could still take him, and if he did......i had lined up the first centre for a big hit.

I did notice that letting go of the sprint button helped, but my outside centre keeps coming in to take the inside centre which leaves a massive gap that I can't recover from, infuriating.

Latest posts