• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

$onny Bill Bails On The Dogs

Good on him I reckon gota make that paper these days. It is a bit of a crap way to leave but why stay and earn less when you can simply switch codes and earn $3mil in 2 years. The NRL want the IRB to intervene so that Sonny Bill Williams can't play Rugby calling it international piracy but I think they should just tell them to get f*****.

I don't think the NRL has any ground to stand on. There's no legal ground to stop him from going, there is no transfer agreement in place between the two competitions, therefore Toulon don't have to honour the contract. The iRB can't do **** because the French clubs will just collectively tell them to f*** off. You know all the French owners will stand pat for the Toulon club because they're bringing in more talent, which increases the exposure and prestige of the competition, which in turn leads to more money from TV contracts and the turnstiles. Is it dirty business? Of course, but the NRL can't do anything.

Instead of moaning, perhaps the NRL should look at paying a percentage of his wages. It stopped some of Super League's biggest names leaving for union.

let him go, as long as toulon funds a new stadium at belmore for us..

he was always injured anyway, couldve lived up to his 400k pay packet but never did

Instead of moaning, perhaps the NRL should look at paying a percentage of his wages. It stopped some of Super League's biggest names leaving for union. [/b]

Lesley Vainikolo, Andy Farrell and Henry Paul endorse this message.

<div class='quotemain'> Instead of moaning, perhaps the NRL should look at paying a percentage of his wages. It stopped some of Super League's biggest names leaving for union. [/b]

Lesley Vainikolo, Andy Farrell and Henry Paul endorse this message.
[/b][/quote]
He didn't say it will stop 100% of transfers.

Hmm... With so many experienced players, Toulon is a great club to go to play and learn rugby at the same time. I think they will use him at center because I doubt Umaga will make a return. Plus he will be learning from one of the best former centers in this world...................Maybe this is Henry's new 'Master Plan' for the next world cup ;)

Saw on the news that the Nrl have put an injuction on Sonny Bill and apparently he hasn't got an French visa and was last sighted in London so even if he does end up in France he's not allowed to play or even train with Toloun or he could risk being arrested for not complying with an court order.

Personally I think the Nrl should go f*** themselves and let a man earn a living and make some money for himself and his family.

Its the Dog's fault for not paying him well [/b]
Wtf?! Are you not aware of the Salary cap in the NRL and how much Sonny was being paid compared to 99% of the other players? Sure compared to France its nowhere near as much, but in the NRL its massive.

Quite simply, the NRL needs to lift its rules regarding 3rd party payments from sponsors and whatnot.

Hmm... With so many experienced players, Toulon is a great club to go to play and learn rugby at the same time. I think they will use him at center because I doubt Umaga will make a return. Plus he will be learning from one of the best former centers in this world...................Maybe this is Henry's new 'Master Plan' for the next world cup ;) [/b]

With Sonny Bill walking out of rugby league and straight into rugby union I always thought this was his way of trying to prove himself to the All Blacks. If he does play for Toulon he will have some of the best rugby players to teach him, eg. Tana Umaga. Tana could mould him into a top-class center and then give the All Blacks selectors a call, telling them he is ready to be selected.

SBW in the All Blacks? Yeah, not 100% sure it'll be that easy... he's a great player sure, but it'll take a good few seasons to properly learn what he has to do.

SBW in the All Blacks? Yeah, not 100% sure it'll be that easy... he's a great player sure, but it'll take a good few seasons to properly learn what he has to do. [/b]

Didn't take Jason Robinson that long to learn what he had to do in rugby union, then again Robinson was a fantastic player and played further out in the back-line than what Sonny Bill will.

<div class='quotemain'> SBW in the All Blacks? Yeah, not 100% sure it'll be that easy... he's a great player sure, but it'll take a good few seasons to properly learn what he has to do. [/b]

Didn't take Jason Robinson that long to learn what he had to do in rugby union, then again Robinson was a fantastic player and played further out in the back-line than what Sonny Bill will.
[/b][/quote]
And it was his second spell in rugby union

What a dog act i agree with MG and Melon here he broke one of the main rules of team sport dont stab your teamates in the back by leaving and not to mention he did not give an explanation to his teammates why he was leaving.

If he did what Mark Gasnier by announcing he was leaving at the end of the season and got out of his contract then i would have no problem with it but i dont care if goes RL doesnt need mercenary pricks like him who have being blinded by the money.

Goodbye and good riddance!

Welcome to the world of proffesional sports, Rugby Fans.
Think of Sonny Bill in terms as your colleague in the cubicle next to you. He doesn't have to explain to you why he's leaving the company, does he really? No. He got an offer from a new, exciting firm based in a foreign country working with some big names in the business. You're thinking, "Exciting new job, with better pay in a beautiful spot in France...Damn, he's a lucky *******." Your boss however is ******, because he had him on a contract. C'est la vie, it's business and if your boss has to cut your job to downsize you and fix the budget he will. This is professional sport. This is the new way of Rugby. Clubs aren't friendly organizations, they are ruthless LLC's and Corporations. They have a product, and they want to earn the most they can.

I hope he does well in Union. I liked seeing him play in League and he's got the dream opportunity to learn Union from some of the best players we've seen He'll be bathed in advise from Umaga, Collins and Greegan.

this is getting ugly. not good for league or the bulldogs the longer it goes on

http://tvnz.co.nz/view/page/1320238/1950407
Sonny Bill Williams has been subpoenaed to appear in the NSW Supreme Court court next Tuesday in the first step towards a possible injunction preventing the Bulldogs superstar walking out on the NRL club.

The stunning development comes as Williams surfaced at London's Heathrow Airport, where he was believed to be en route to Toulon in southern France.

The Bulldogs, with the support of the NRL, have sought an injunction with the Supreme Court, which, if passed, would prevent Williams from taking up a rumoured $3 million, two-year deal to switch codes.

"The injunction will seek to restrain him from training or playing other than in accordance with the Bulldogs contract," NRL chief executive David Gallop said on Monday.

I dont think he'll be an an All Black, because don't you have to be contracted with the NZRU? well unless they can afford to pay him 3mil, i doubt he's going to want to be an All Black, you know because of how he's greedy :p lol

Latest posts