• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ospreys

Everything looks to be moving very slowly to him at Premiershop level from what I've seen. He seems to find it very easy, as he has done in the LV= Cup. The Under 20s World Championship at the moment is the closest I've seen to him being pushed since the game against the Blues, but even then their pressure wore off pretty quickly.

matthew morgan doesn't seem pushed by the welsh premiership-- in other words, there seems to be nothing left for him to learn there. i imagine he will now play LV= & a few extra starts in the Pro12.

the ospreys also need to be careful that they give him enough rugby. if they stick to biggar again, they could lose morgan as they lost hook. so, morgan will have to start a significant number of games to stop him leaving--- because there will be other regions looking to sign him up.

i think morgan & biggar could actually become a good combination, with morgan as a running 10 and biggar becoming a Ronan O'Gara style player who can close a game out with the boot.

Well i watched the wales under 20's match this morning (yesterdays match vs Italy) and there was one thing that was evident, is that Ospreys need to give MM some proper game time. Yes okay he's a little bit of a defensive liability, but what he offers in attack is immense. The goal line counterattack orchestrated by MM vision and pace was immense. One thing is do like about him (and i don't see it in other 10's) is that once he has passed the ball outside, he attempts to loop round to create an overlap. Yes once he steps up, he may not seem as "quick" as others, but i think he has that Shane step that puts him apart from the likes of Hook, Biggar, Jones etc. I really hope they try and seriously develop him in the coming season. He's raw yes, and probably will be spending some time in the gym all summer (maybe take some advice off halfpenny - he got well beef but still kept his pace :p). I hope they don't ruin Morgan's prospects by playing him everywhere....

I'm not going to deny that Matthew Morgan has exceptional talent. In attack, he is brilliant. In defence, is is simply a liability. Even at the Premiership and U20 level players were running through him.
At Pro12 and Heineken level that cannot happen. No doubt he can improve upon it, but I don't think he is ready for the next level yet. I'd definitely give him a go in the LV= Cup and some of the smaller Pro12 games.

However, having Andrew Bishop and (Dream scenario) Ma'a Nonu alongside him, I'd say that people running through him shouldn't be that huge an issue. I do get your point, but I'm prepared to take that risk, and the Ospreys should be too.

i think matthew morgan will be fine in defence so long as the ospreys hide him as best they can. after that, you have to accept that he is going to get exposed occasionally but that it will be worth it overall.

Ronan O'Gara had a rather good career whilst having to be hidden in this way.

i think matthew morgan will be fine in defence so long as the ospreys hide him as best they can. after that, you have to accept that he is going to get exposed occasionally but that it will be worth it overall.

Ronan O'Gara had a rather good career whilst having to be hidden in this way.

Was going to mention o'gara actually, he cant tackle for s!!t but he's been sugar coated by his teams. Anyone remember ospreys vs munster when Shane ran straight through him for a try???

Last edited by a moderator:
hahahaha indeed. And at least MM offers something different in attack. No doubting O'Gara's had a successful career (cant take it away from him) but to me his game i kick to the corners and pass outside, nothing else.
MM i hope can be given chances this year (in "smaller" Pro 12 games and LV Cup). Another year of that and i think he should be ready to make a few of the middle/higher tier games. Will be interesting to see how the ospreys utilise him during WC. he'll possibly have a few games then because other teams will also be "depleated". should be interesting.
Also Eli Walker has looked quite promicing, so shall be interesting to see how he develops.

What Nipper really needs is a class 12 (2005/2008 Henson) outside him to cover in defence, and offer another playmaking option if teams decide to cover Morgan with 2-3 players (as they are doing in the JWC).
Agree about Eli Walker, TVH. Looks promising and could see time during the RWC.
Ross Jones could be a possible fullback in a few seasons, doesn't look that bad.

we have a great crop of younsters, but we don't try to develop them too much. Its only in the pointless LV games we play them, and those of us that can't get down to the games dont get to see these guys cause half the time the games are never on telly :( :(

Hopefully the ospreys keep their money in their pockets, and have trust in their academy. We still have some "big names" that have the "quality" to perform. So just start to introduce some of these up and commers to the squad slowly. And no i don't mean all at once, just kinda key positions. Have the senior guys around to guide them :D

Latest posts