[Pacific Nations Cup] Fiji vs. Samoa. 21/06/14

LittleGuy

First XV
Country Flag
Canada
Fiji.png
Versus%20Rugby%20Championship.png
Samoa.png

Fiji vs. Samoa. 21/06/14, 15:00 FJT, ANZ Stadium, Suva, Fiji.

Referee: Mathieu Raynal (France)

Broadcast: IRB.com (stream)

The winner of the PI pool of the PNC will be determined in Suva this weekend, both teams come off big wins last weekend, Fiji handling Tonga with ease and Samoa grinding out Italy at home. I would have to say Fiji are favourites though, they have looked clinical this spring and are recapturing some of their old form heading into the 2015 RWC.

Lineups: TBA

Nadolo you beast. Fiji 5 Samoa 3

you can watch it live here http://www.irb.com/live/video.html

Fiji having problems in the lineouts. Samoa trying to take it to them through the forwards using mauls and long kick offs trying to pin fiji in their own 22

Fiji is giving away penalties. Tusi Pisi is killing them with his boot.

Samoa win 18-15 great effort from the Manu who were courageous and held in against a Very Good Fijian Side.

I've really enjoyed this year's PNC, 4am starts or otherwise. The quality of rugby may not be as high as top-end Six Nations or Rugby Championship stuff, but it's always, without fail, fun to watch: All 30 players clearly love it, and are giving it their all. Can't beat that.

Yeah well done to Samoa for winning. I do think Fiji were looking more dangerous on attack though and should have won this game, Samoa just capitalized on Fiji's silly penalties kicking 6 penalties to Fiji's 2 tries. In the end I think it was the lineouts that cost Fiji, Fiji lost far too many of their own lineouts. I understand Samoa would be better in the scrums, but when you're losing in the lineouts too then you really can't win a game like that. Fiji were actually a lot better in the scrums than many expected though, but the lineouts still costed them, esp when they had penalty's, they'd just go an waste it by losing the lineout. I think Fiji tried to do too much at the end there when they were close to Samoa's line, they were spinning it out to the backs and throwing all those offloads when they probably should have been more patient and build up phases with the forwards first. Samoa played the way they needed to play slowing the ball down as much as possible. There was a moment when Fiji had a penalty 5m from their line and were about to tap it so they started a fight to stop the play lol, and the other moment Bobo was held back so he couldn't get the pass after Matawalu had a break out run. Fiji only have themselves to blame though and its probably good for them so they can learn from this.

Last edited:
Somebody need so teach Fiji how to scrummage. They can't continue this way.

Latest posts