Country Flag
Canada
Samoa.png
Versus%20Rugby%20Championship.png
Tonga.png

Samoa vs. Tonga. 07/06/14, 14:00 WST, Apia Park, Apia, Samoa

Referee: Wayne Barnes (England)

Broadcast: TBA

Samoa and Tonga will start off the Pacific Nations Cup (and their pool) with a game at Apia Park, expect a very physical encounter when these two rivals ranked 8th and 12th in the world respectively come to match up. Samoa should be favoured but perhaps the Sea Eagles can pull off an upset over their traditional rivals who were absent from the 2013 edition of the PNC. Samoa will have the slight advantage of having had a run around game vs. Japan the week prior which should get their combinations and tactics tested.

The other pool team Fiji will be hosting Italy in Suva, this weekend which should be a cracking contest for those fans.

Lineups: TBA

I'm guessing the sides will be mostly locally based players for both sides with maybe some New Zealand and Australian based players as well.

I'm guessing the sides will be mostly locally based players for both sides with maybe some New Zealand and Australian based players as well.

That could be a huge factor in this game, especially if Tonga can get some more of their pro's home as they tend to be in lower division clubs(RFU, D2, ITM) that don't have as many qualms about releasing guys.

That could be a huge factor in this game, especially if Tonga can get some more of their pro's home as they tend to be in lower division clubs(RFU, D2, ITM) that don't have as many qualms about releasing guys.

I think it's really important for the fans to see these guys playing for their national teams ... just as a general comment, it's hard to predict the relative strengths/which is the stronger side if the best players are unavailable.

well Samoa have looked very vulnerable last November in their tour to the NH. Nothing like what we'd seen from November 2012-June 2013. They're still ranked 8th, and that's a very good rank, and absolutely brilliant one for a nation that isn't considered Tier 1.
Nice to see em back in this tournament, they looked just above it last year to be fair.
So both teams to play without some of their better players, yeah ?

well Samoa have looked very vulnerable last November in their tour to the NH. Nothing like what we'd seen from November 2012-June 2013. They're still ranked 8th, and that's a very good rank, and absolutely brilliant one for a nation that isn't considered Tier 1.
Nice to see em back in this tournament, they looked just above it last year to be fair.
So both teams to play without some of their better players, yeah ?

Not sure - I haven't been able to find anything on line ... hopefully not though

Seriously, the new format sucks. I like the tournemant last year, the idea of Canada, USA can play Fiji, Tonga (except the fact Samoans missed the competition), now they divided the competition in 2 conferences with no final between the winners of each conferences? So who will be the real champion? where is the credibility of this competition with the new format? thats ridiculous, bad idea by the irb.

Seriously, the new format sucks. I like the tournemant last year, the idea of Canada, USA can play Fiji, Tonga (except the fact Samoans missed the competition), now they divided the competition in 2 conferences with no final between the winners of each conferences? So who will be the real champion? where is the credibility of this competition with the new format? thats ridiculous, bad idea by the irb.

+ 1000 on this, great post sums up my thoughts exactly, especially since most of these countries complain about their lack of tests. In fact Samoa and Japan have organized a one off test on May 30th anyway.

thanks but psychic duck made some points, one country can't organize the whole competition? one year in canada, after in usa, pacific islands, japon... you turn every year between the nations who partcipate to this competition
it might be a solution.

Ikale Tahi squad 2014.
The squad will come together for a week's camp in Nuku'alofa later this week before they leave for Samoa.Coach Mana Otai said the squad is the best available at this time.
Position Name Club
Prop Tevita Mailau Mont De Marsan
Prop Ofa Fainga'anuku Worcester
Prop Sila Puafisi Gloucester
Prop Eddie 'Aholelei Melbourne Rebels Squad
Prop Kama Sakalia Tonga A/Marist 'Apifo'ou
Hooker Paula Ngauamo Tonga A/Sydneham
Hooker Suliasi Taufalele Chiefs Development
Lock Josh Afu Kamaishi Waves
Lock Daniel Faleafa Randwick
Lock Semisi Taulava Worcester
Back Row Sitiveni Mafi Leicester Tigers
Back Row Pasuka Mapakaitolo Kobe Steelers
Back Row Viliami Fihaki Sales Sharks
Back Row Nili Latu NEC Rockets
Back Row Opeti Fonua Bayonne
Back Row Viliami Ma'afu Oyonnax
Halfback Samisoni Fisilau Bay of Plenty
Halfback Sonatane Takulua Northland
First-five Latiume Fosita Northland
First-five Fangatapu 'Apikotoa Marist 'Apifo'ou/Spain
Midfielders Viliami Hakalo Tonga A/ Toa Saracen
Midfielders Fraser Anderson Kobe Steelers
Midfielders Alaska Taufa Akita Northern Bullets
Midfielders Siale Piutau Yamaha
Outside Backs Otulea Katoa Tonga A/Grammar Teachers
Outside Backs Fetu'u Vainikolo Exeter Chiefs
Outside Backs Will Helu London Wasps
Outside Backs David Halaifonua Hofoa

18 all draw pretty happy with Tonga's progress few errors that will only get better with time but nothing major. Samoa had the better team on paper to a fairly inexperienced Tongan side hard fought game congratulations to both teams.
Go the Ikale Tahi

Tonga should be pleased with the result a draw with a weaker lineup and away is a fair take from this one. Looking like advantage Fiji in tis pool heading forward.

Ben Tameifuna pictured in Tongan Sheds. Looks to me he will be wearing red world cup time :lol:

Attachments

• 10347410_4313043479852_1288758442744619898_n.jpg
    10347410_4313043479852_1288758442744619898_n.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 7
I doubt the initial squad named is the actual Squad Lisiate Fa'aoso wasnt named but ended up starting. Be awesome to se Ben Tameifuna play the next game if he has joined the squad. Tongas squad is looking good for the world cup they have retained more players then they have ever done for a long period of time. To have the consistency will be key for Tonga. Im really wanting to see Nasi Manu finally join Tonga if he is not chosen for the All blacks by the end of the year. With Tameifuna and a few other Super rugby players our front row could look like Sona Taumalolo, Soane Tonga'uiha, Ben Tameifuna, Halani Aulika, Ma'afu Fia, Pauliasi Manu, all who are regular Super Rugby starters.

based on the squad named im hoping this is the side to play Fiji

1.Tevita Mailau
2.Paula Ngauamo
3.Sila Puafisi
4.Daniel Faleafa
5.Steve Mafi
6.Viliami Ma'afu
7.Nili Latu
8.Opeti Fonua
9.Sonatane Takalua
10.Latiume Fosita
11.Fetu'u Vainikolo
12.Siale Piutau
13.Alaska Taufa
14.Will Helu
15.Tevita Halaifonua

Yeah it will be great for Tonga but I'm not sure if he will be jumping at the chance this early. I'm sure hes just in an about camp getting to know management and stuff. He still has the possibility of pulling on a black jersey. I would love to see Kurt Morath back we need a reliable boot out there.

Yeah it will be great for Tonga but I'm not sure if he will be jumping at the chance this early. I'm sure hes just in an about camp getting to know management and stuff. He still has the possibility of pulling on a black jersey. I would love to see Kurt Morath back we need a reliable boot out there.

Well hes off contract at the end of the year and France is offering him big money. I know he travels to Tonga abit so hopefully he takes up the big money in france and plays for Tonga :) same with Nasi Manu with Sione Kalamafoni, Viliami Ma'afu, Opeti Fonua, Steve Mafi, Tevita Koloamatangi, add in Nasi Manu that's alot of depth for 2nd tier Nation to have.

Im liking the look of Tonga for next year.

All we need is a hard running second five and will be sorted

Be interesting to see what kind of form Suka Hufanga is in at the moment always seems to step up in the big games. I liked the look of the 2nd 5 who was a last min call up for the wales game last yr.I think Island rugby is only going to get stronger Polynesian influence in New Zealand and Australias age grade rugby seems to grow every year. Add in the amount of european clubs signing them this could mean more players going overseas for bigger money and playing for their home countries like Tonga, Samoa, and Fiji. Last world Cup would be the first time I think SUper rugby players decided to pledge for Tonga. It's why ill watch the End of Year Tour or next yrs PNC with enthusiasm. I cant see Nasi Manu knocking back Tonga after this yr.