• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

PC Version Information

L

lazy_chesnut

I have learned a few things from playing this game which people may want to know.

The following only applies to the PC version as far as I know.

If I can think of any more at a later date, I will post them here.

* Dummies are in - hold pass in one direction, then press the other
* PC game controls are really tough to get, especially in defence. It cannot be changed in the games menus, but I'm sure with a bit of modding.......
* The graphics are great. The animations look very very smooth. When I was playing as Leicester, and the players got all muddy, it looked VERY, VERY impressive.
* There does appear to be a slight problem as Lox mentioned with the tackle animations beginning and therefore stopping you from passing. However, on the flip-side, sometimes you appear to *almost* offload the ball, and this works very well to put players through gaps.
* The way which you control the player who is about to receive the ball when passing works well, as you can cut back on angles.
* Passing inside works really well, and looks great and realistic also
* There are only 4 body shapes in the player editor - added as an afterthought surely.
* You cannot choose the player's kicking foot in the Player Editor.
* The ball moves through the air differently in the PC version to the PS2 version. There is no "torpedo" goal kicking, the ball rotates backwards like it should.
* Mauls work well - as the maul begins to slow, add another player to get it moving quicker again.
* Maximum screen resolution - 1024x768
* There are adjustable sliders in the in-game options for "knock-ons", "injuries", and "fatigue".
* Olivier Magne got a yellow card in the third match I played for collapsing a maul.
* Ball physics are dodgy.
* If you get tackled as you are just about to pass, you run the risk of knocking the ball on.
* Players with good passing stats lead their runners into gaps well.
* The scrummie does not throw the ball away that often - it's no real problem
* The game runs nice and smoothly on my computer, even though I have not a very good setup - laptop, 2.something GHz, with i think either a 64 Mb gfx card, or 2 32 MB chips. But the game runs fine.

EDIT: Looking at apost asking about loading times. I don't even remember waiting for it to load, it's that quick.

Hell that's quite a lot.

Any questions, if asked politely and written in English will be answered if I know the answer.

Cheers.

Tom

what are the keys for defence/ offense?

I know it is a lot, but if you can... thanks

BOKean - why?

you will use a controller anyway! yeah?

here's s'thing much easier:

How effective are the dummies? Why would others think they didn't exist? Must be some explanation?

cheers.

PS - is extra time done properly this time (in other words - an actual period of time)

cher bro....
<

I cant dummy using that method "in a game" Ive tried like buggery and i wish you could but the only thing that looks like a dummy when i play it is when your running to the right on the practise pitch and press i think L then R (I have a analgue joystick for my PC)and it does do a little dummy animation but its weirds me out that it only works in one passing direction (i think to your right) and when your running to the right side of the screen. Every other direction hell always just throw a pass.

And about the tackle animation stopping you from passing it does stop you a little early but like any footy game i always press pass way earlier than when the ball actually gets passed
<

Also 1280 x 1024 is the max screen resolution i can get and since some people didnt believe me when i say this heres proof....

Originally posted by Los Lover@Mar 7 2005, 08:13 PM
BOKean - why?

How effective are the dummies? Why would others think they didn't exist? Must be some explanation?

cheers.

PS - is extra time done properly this time (in other words - an actual period of time)

cher bro....
<
i hate using a controller - i dont know why but i find keyboard easier - must be cause im south african???
<

Originally posted by BOKean+Mar 7 2005, 09:16 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BOKean @ Mar 7 2005, 09:16 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Los Lover
@Mar 7 2005, 08:13 PM
BOKean - why?

cheers.

cher bro....
<
i hate using a controller - i dont know why but i find keyboard easier - must be cause im south african???
<
[/b]
My bad! As you were...

<

Mate how do you play with a keyboard? In this game they havent rewired the keyboard driver so you can only hold two keys down at a time without your PC beaping at ya! And that renders the game virtually impossible to play. Maybe its just my setup but im pretty sure you'll have this problem...
<

OK

RUNNING PLAY:

space - sprint
a - pass left
d - pass right
s - punt kick
e - drop goal
q - grubber, i would guess (haven't tried it)
w - possibly up-and-under

a/d (hold) + d/a - dummy pass direction a/d

Shift+:
q - sidestep left
e - sidestep right
w - body angle dip (shoulder charge)
s - attempt hand-off

These can all be done sprinting.

WITH BALL AT THE BREAKDOWN:

a - pass to backs, left
d - pass to backs, right
shift - pass to close forward left
space - pass to close forward right
q/e - pick and go left/right
w - box kick
up/down/left/right - set plays
s - add players to ruck/maul

In a maul press direction to push. Pressing sideways across the pitch can roll the maul to a certain extent.

DEFENDING:

shift - change player
s - attempt diving tackle - use sparingly!
s - add players to ruck/maul
up/down/left/right - choose corresponding set defense formation.

SCRUMS:
directions - push
s - feed ball
q - hook
then pasing is the same as from rucks.

I will try doing a number8 pickup.

I think that's about it.

If I've missed something obvious, please let me know

Originally posted by tokomoe@Mar 7 2005, 08:18 PM
Mate how do you play with a keyboard? In this game they havent rewired the keyboard driver so you can only hold two keys down at a time without your PC beaping at ya! And that renders the game virtually impossible to play. Maybe its just my setup but im pretty sure you'll have this problem...
<
Dang! - may just have to start getting used to the gamepad then

in madden nfl 2005 i am ranked in the top 150 in the world(millions play that game) using a keyboard - and that is one of the most complex games (keys wise)

Originally posted by tokomoe@Mar 7 2005, 09:18 PM
<
well hell! That explains difficulty with dummy then doesn't it...

move + pass + pass again = 3 buttons!! lol!

that's one too many!!

Locksley man! You've lost it! How can there be dummy!!? What are you on son! Send me some you hogger!!
<
<

Originally posted by tokomoe@Mar 7 2005, 08:18 PM
<
Yeah but I have a laptop, and laptops can take more keypresses due to the nature of the layout.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
in madden nfl 2005 i am ranked in the top 150 in the world(millions play that game) using a keyboard - and that is one of the most complex games (keys wise)[/b]

I hear where your coming from Ive played heaps of games where im sure ive been using alot more than 2 keys at once. But when i had this problem with rugby 2005 i looked into it and its because the developer hasnt taken the time to write like an adapter (driver) for the keyboard which allows it to overcome this problem.

Originally posted by tokomoe@Mar 7 2005, 08:25 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
in madden nfl 2005 i am ranked in the top 150 in the world(millions play that game) using a keyboard - and that is one of the most complex games (keys wise)

I hear where your coming from Ive played heaps of games where im sure ive been using alot more than 2 keys at once. But when i had this problem with rugby 2005 i looked into it and its because the developer hasnt taken the time to write like an adapter (driver) for the keyboard which allows it to overcome this problem. [/b][/quote]
Thanks alot EA - YOU SUCK THE BALLS
Lazy fools

Originally posted by lazy_chesnut@Mar 7 2005, 08:00 PM
I have learned a few things from playing this game which people may want to know.

* PC game controls are really tough to get, especially in defence. It cannot be changed in the games menus, but I'm sure with a bit of modding.......
* The graphics are great. The animations look very very smooth. When I was playing as Leicester, and the players got all muddy, it looked VERY, VERY impressive.
* There does appear to be a slight problem as Lox mentioned with the tackle animations beginning and therefore stopping you from passing. However, on the flip-side, sometimes you appear to *almost* offload the ball, and this works very well to put players through gaps.
* The way which you control the player who is about to receive the ball when passing works well, as you can cut back on angles.
* There are only 4 body shapes in the player editor - added as an afterthought surely.
* The ball moves through the air differently in the PC version to the PS2 version. There is no "torpedo" goal kicking, the ball rotates backwards like it should.
* Mauls work well - as the maul begins to slow, add another player to get it moving quicker again.
* There are adjustable sliders in the in-game options for "knock-ons", "injuries", and "fatigue".
* Olivier Magne got a yellow card in the third match I played for collapsing a maul.
* If you get tackled as you are just about to pass, you run the risk of knocking the ball on.
* The game runs nice and smoothly on my computer, even though I have not a very good setup - laptop, 2.something GHz, with i think either a 64 Mb gfx card, or 2 32 MB chips. But the game runs fine.

EDIT: Looking at apost asking about loading times. I don't even remember waiting for it to load, it's that quick.

Hell that's quite a lot.

Any questions, if asked politely and written in English will be answered if I know the answer.

Cheers.

Tom
Thanks for the overview, good stuff!

In what way is the passing different in the PC version?

Cheers

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Tokomoe do u have an ATI video card?[/b]

No I dont? I have a Nvidia GeForce 5600 FX Card, not top of the market but maybe brand is related to the problem? Weird
<

Can Someone with the game please please please give me the Bulls super 12 team lineup with stats?

PLEASE!!
Thank you!

Originally posted by jimmy44+Mar 7 2005, 09:01 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jimmy44 @ Mar 7 2005, 09:01 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-lazy_chesnut
@Mar 7 2005, 08:00 PM

* PC game controls are really tough to get, especially in defence.  It cannot be changed in the games menus, but I'm sure with a bit of modding.......
* The graphics are great.  The animations look very very smooth.  When I was playing as Leicester, and the players got all muddy, it looked VERY, VERY impressive.
* There does appear to be a slight problem as Lox mentioned with the tackle animations beginning and therefore stopping you from passing.  However, on the flip-side, sometimes you appear to *almost* offload the ball, and this works very well to put players through gaps.
* The ball moves through the air differently in the PC version to the PS2 version.  There is no "torpedo" goal kicking, the ball rotates backwards like it should.
* The game runs nice and smoothly on my computer, even though I have not a very good setup - laptop, 2.something GHz, with i think either a 64 Mb gfx card, or 2 32 MB chips.  But the game runs fine.

EDIT: Looking at apost asking about loading times.  I don't even remember waiting for it to load, it's that quick.

Hell that's quite a lot.

Cheers.

Tom
Thanks for the overview, good stuff!

In what way is the passing different in the PC version?

Cheers [/b]
Did I say that?

Latest posts