• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Pending Oil Crisis

I heard an interesting theory the other day about how we will never actually run out of oil, it will just become so expensive to mine and then to buy that people will eventually find an alternative. Even though the oil is still down there.

Alternatives though, solving that will be interesting. Whoever comes up with the best idea is going to get loaded.

It's going to get interesting here in America. I think people are beginning to get a bit scared. For the first time gas (petrol) is getting expensive enough that it's making people second guess their routines and what they buy, ect... All my money right now goes to fuel for my car. I drive to work, I drive to school, I get paid, I refuel my car, and I'm broke again, so I drive back to work...ha ha.
There are a few things that one does have to look at. Have you seen the salaries of the oil execs? Crazy huge paychecks. I'm just saying, they're making tons of money right now...seems like this "crisis" may be a little bit of propaganda as well. The media keeps talking about the world running out of fuel, ect...so the oil people are like "yes, we're getting low on fuel, it's going to get more expensive..." WANKERS.

Well it's a two way street that... Sure they don't mind speculation about it running out, but at the same time all the OPEC nations are constantly overestimating their reserves because any drop and their share prices plummet. As a result they produce beyond their means and send us closer to peeking out... so it's actually very likely that our current predicament may even be an underestimation.
The US will feel it particularly hard because you lot set about systematically dismantling your public transport networks after WWII to support the oil and motor industries whereas countries like those in Europe and Japan have extensive systems that make the car less of a necessity (Aus is somewhere in between, but it depends on where you are).

It's going to get interesting here in America. I think people are beginning to get a bit scared. For the first time gas (petrol) is getting expensive enough that it's making people second guess their routines and what they buy, ect... All my money right now goes to fuel for my car. I drive to work, I drive to school, I get paid, I refuel my car, and I'm broke again, so I drive back to work...ha ha.
There are a few things that one does have to look at. Have you seen the salaries of the oil execs? Crazy huge paychecks. I'm just saying, they're making tons of money right now...seems like this "crisis" may be a little bit of propaganda as well. The media keeps talking about the world running out of fuel, ect...so the oil people are like "yes, we're getting low on fuel, it's going to get more expensive..." WANKERS.
[/b]
Aren't you angry at the way your currency is being destroyed by the banksters?

You can be angry against the oil producers and oil companies, but most of this ramp up in prices - in food as well as oil - comes from the Wall St/Washington policy of debasing the world's reserve currency. That policy makes sense, because it's the only way the US can get out from under its massive debts. But shouldn't Americans be raging about how they got in to this state?

I love what the US is supposed to stand for, but now it looks like you guys have blown the greatest legacy in history.

Im sure its a scam... do the gov get tax from it?

It should be a law that petrol cannot exceed more than90c per litre :p

<div class='quotemain'> It's going to get interesting here in America. I think people are beginning to get a bit scared. For the first time gas (petrol) is getting expensive enough that it's making people second guess their routines and what they buy, ect... All my money right now goes to fuel for my car. I drive to work, I drive to school, I get paid, I refuel my car, and I'm broke again, so I drive back to work...ha ha.
[/b]

You can be angry against the oil producers and oil companies, but most of this ramp up in prices - in food as well as oil - comes from the Wall St/Washington policy of debasing the world's reserve currency. That policy makes sense, because it's the only way the US can get out from under its massive debts. But shouldn't Americans be raging about how they got in to this state?

I love what the US is supposed to stand for, but now it looks like you guys have blown the greatest legacy in history. [/b][/quote]
We're sort of F___ed, but the average person here still thinks we are #1!!! Woooo! Sure we have people saying we need to wake up and face reality, but they're called unpatriotic. It's retarded how blind everyone is. The ***anic is sinking and we're dancing on the deck...let the band play on!
Don't get me started. It's f___ing ridiculous.
I like to get into conversations about how if America is in decline we were the shortest lived super-power ever. People here hate that. I'm like, how long did the Romans keep it up? How long did the British Empire last? And, right, we've been a super-power just since WWII? Do the math!!!

Well you're a different kind of empire to the British and the Romans (being that you spread your influences with bases on foreign soil - over 700 in over 130 countries), and the current global climate has probably become less conducive to any continued reign of power thanks to the easy flow of capital and technology. All great powers of the last couple centuries have championed economic liberalism and free trade in the name of fair play, but ultimately 'free trade' has never been about wanting an "equal market for all"... it's a flawed theory and the only reason it's ever supported by great powers is because it's in their interest (being that they're the ones with the power and the institutions). But when things do start to balance out, and other countries start to catch up, the trend is usually reversed and protectionism comes back in vogue (like the British at the end of the 19th century with their commonwealth trade system that was overtly self serving and protectionist).
I think the problem with the US has been you've been pushing this economic liberalist crap about free trade for so long now that you just didn't realise it's stopped being in your interest (though you still are heavily protectionist over a number of industries anyway - sugar cane growers being a good example - yet have the nerve to criticise others for doing the same).
The fact is that you've let all your major industries move offshore to countries like China and India who've become massively successful doing essentially the opposite of what US economists have been telling developing nations to do, and now you're left with a country that really only produces weaponry... everything else is done overseas, and key industries like the motor industry have been overtaken by foreign ones (particularly from Japan) largely because you've refused to adapt to the international competition (the fuel efficiency issue in the US has been nothing short of farcical).

<div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'> It's going to get interesting here in America. I think people are beginning to get a bit scared. For the first time gas (petrol) is getting expensive enough that it's making people second guess their routines and what they buy, ect... All my money right now goes to fuel for my car. I drive to work, I drive to school, I get paid, I refuel my car, and I'm broke again, so I drive back to work...ha ha.
[/b]

I love what the US is supposed to stand for, but now it looks like you guys have blown the greatest legacy in history. [/b][/quote]
It's retarded how blind everyone is. The ***anic is sinking and we're dancing on the deck...let the band play on!
Don't get me started. It's f___ing ridiculous.

[/b][/quote]

You sir have described the whole of humanity.We are on the path to total oblivion and we cant see it oil global warming or the total collapse of the system either one of these or a nice combination of it will f*** us all

Well the vast majority of humanity is f***ed anyway now only the few have ever benefited from capitalism hence the endless championing of it by the rich and there footsoldiers (conservatives,delusional f**kers who think there is a place at the table for them etc etc)

I hope one day that the **** hitting the fan will wake people from there sleep nay delusion,see that they have being totally swindled by a system that they thought would bring them prosperity and those who propagated this lie and untold suffering defending this lie gets there's too.

/rant over

[their, not there]

What does everyone here do to help the earth a bit?
Like, leaving the car at home when all you need it for is driving two blocks to buy bread, save water, save energy (and how), make sure you buy products that are as evironmentally friendly as possible, refuse to eat McDonalds, ...

Right I am ****** off

I had to pay 132.9p for Diesel today!!! What a joke...

I will be paying 150 before the summer is over!!!

When can we start the protests... and stop the fuel going to the key places and bring the country to a halt then the government may take notice...

It's going up tomorrow here, not sure what they're legally allowed to ask from then on.

Basically in the UK several years ago now they had Fuel Protests which brought the country to a standstill near enough and forced the government, but since then the government have made it illegal to protest as it is invoking a riot... load of crap really... I would like to see the people of the UK stand up to our government for once...

I see. We starting to have a similar problem in SA, the government taxes the crap out of fuel as well, with all sorts of levies. There have been calls for the government to scrap this policy, as the taxi industry here is a huge part of the economy functioning and growing. Only a matter of time before the masses kick up a stink, and boy can they!
I find it very puzzling that protesting is illegal in a country that's considered a major part of the free world.

Well it is more of a case that fuel protests are illegal if the block the Oil Refineries... also it is illegal to promote a fuel protest, because it is classed as inciting a riot...

Well it is more of a case that fuel protests are illegal if the block the Oil Refineries... also it is illegal to promote a fuel protest, because it is classed as inciting a riot... [/b]

:blink:

You learn something new everyday

So you just did something that's against the law by calling for a fuel protest?

Astounding :|

Well in the year 2012 aliens will be coming to earth to destroy us. We will win the war and use their blood as the new fuel alternative. Then the world will explode in 2013.

Well in the year 2012 aliens will be coming to earth to destroy us. We will win the war and use their blood as the new fuel alternative. Then the world will explode in 2013. Seriously why would I lie?

Latest posts