• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The travel thread

TRF_stormer2010

TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
Stormers
I thought that since this is an international forum people who might be travelling could get some info from posters who might be familiar with whichever destination. Things like 'stuff to do/see', places to avoid, maybe some pointers about how to save some hard earned cash etc.

I'll kick off with 'things to do, places to see' for Cape Town and surrounds;

Since this is a rugby forum I'll start off with

1) Watch a local game of rugby. Be it Western Province playing in the Currie Cup, the Stormers hosting a Super rugby game or the biggest schools clash in the rugby world; the Paarl boys high vs Paarl gymnasium derby.
2) Climb Table Mountain or take the cable car for the view.
3) Spend a day on Camps Bay beach - the bars and restuarants serve the beach on request
4) Go wine touring in one of the Boand wine districts (ask me which ones if you get here)
5) Dare to shark cage dive in Gansbaai (2 and a half hours outside the city) on stay on the boat and watch them breach
6) Suicide gorge is a half-day 7km semi-hike/semi-swim (you have to go up first though) down a gorge with slide and jumps ranging from 3m to 14.5m
7) Surf in Dungeons or the more leisurely Mand iconic Muizenberg on False bay
8) Track game with a Khoi descendant in a small reserve 1h outside of town and learn about an ancient language and way of life all but extinct
9) Visit Robben Island where Nelson Mandela was held captive
10) Shop at the V & A waterfront district. Have a rare steak at Balthazar's grill and thank me later.
11) Spend an evening on the west coast sampling traditional Cape Malay cuisine with the locals prepared on the beach (blankets provided)
12) Watch the most impressive display of flowers taking over the land on the west coast
13) Go hiking in the 'Fynbos'; by far the most compact and one of the most diverse 'floristic kingdoms'; a must for bird watchers
14) It is now whale season and where the Indian and Atlantic oceans meet is a hot spot for whale spotting.
15) We produce some of the world's highest rated brandies. To be enjoyed with local cheeses and delicasies like Biltong.
16) Get a 'braai' invite and have some traditional SA.. barbeque or 'potjiekos'.
17) Night life in Cape Town is more laid back than most major cities. It's less about any specific place and more about the 'presinct'. In the CBD Long street is the place to hang out, mostly 'pub culture', jazz. You might want to try in and around Stellenbosch Uni and UCT if your younger. Talk to the students; I've been out for 7 years now so no point in me trying to mention specific places.
18) There are many annual festivals and events for all sorts of things from cheese and oysters to cycling so if you have any specific hobbies/interests just ask when a good time might be to visit and mix with the locals.
19) Take a taxi ride through a township. Not advised if your family is loaded and you just married or took out life insurance (sorry, some dark humor).
20) Fine dining. Between Cape Town, Stellenbosch and Franschoek (less than an hours drive) we have- depending on what lists you trust- 3 to 4 of the world's best 100 restuarants, the best in Africa and more that were counted amongst the world's best in the past. IMO there are 7 places you can't go wrong even with the highest haute cuisine expectations.

I'll update with some more if I find time.

I'd say go on wild life drives as we have those here but the better locations for that would be in-land.

Last edited:
9) Visit Robben Island where Nelson Mandela was held captive
ftfy

I'd say go on wild life drives as we have those here but the better locations for that would be in-land.
I guess I should follow suit as I live in Polokwane.

If you are ever in South Africa, don't visit Polokwane. It's a rather boring town with no real interesting landmarks or things to do.

But around Polokwane there is many things to do and places to visit:
1. If you drive 200km North, you will be in Zimbabwe
2. If you drive 200km North-West, you will be in Botswana
3. If you drive 200km East, you will be in Mozambique
4. If you drive 200km South, you will be in Pretoria and there you can go to Loftus and watch rugby.
5. Visit the Kruger National Park. The park is bigger than the Netherlands!! and we have the Big 5 there.
6. Go to the Baobab-bar. It's a Bar built inside a Baobab tree.

That's about it for Polokwane

great idea for a thread, I will do a couple:

Paris:

Sport:
01) Go see Stade Francais or Racing Metro play
02) go see PSG play (football)

In the same day:
03) The Louvre & the Tuileres: www.louvre.fr/en

All in the same day:
04) Pompidou Centre: www.centrepompidou.fr/en
05) Notre Dame and the surrounding areas incl:
06) the Marais (especially on a sunday) also
07) have coffee here: http://www.lacafeotheque.com/

All in one Afternoon:
08 ) eat at Palais de Tokyo then: http://www.palaisdetokyo.com/
09) walk across the river to the Eiffel Tower
10) River boat trip

In one Afternoon:
11) Jardin du Luxembourg: http://en.museeduluxembourg.fr/museum/museum-1 - especially if you have kids between 4-12, there is the best playground ever there.

Daytrips:
12) Versaille (Day Trip)
14) Monet's Gardens: http://giverny.org/gardens/fcm/visitgb.htm (Day Trip)
15) Deauville

Bit more off the beaten Track:

16) the Paris Catacombs: http://www.catacombes.paris.fr/
17) Chantilly: http://www.domainedechantilly.com (try and tie this in with the horse racing at the Chantilly Hippodrome)

Clubbing:
18) Kong (for a dressed up drink and a dance)(the restaurant is also cool but more trendy than amazing food)
19) Paris Social (if you like cutting edge dance music)
20) Showcase (for your more festival dance music sounds)
21) Bagatelle (if it's the summer – club on an island)
22) Belushis (for getting wasted and pulling a backpacking tourist)

And there are a ton of pubs that are Rugby freindly i know that if you're heading here i can tell you about.

Thanks for the contributions guys.

LOL, Dassen Island.

Hein, you are selling Limpopo province short. I mean, the list isn't so long but if you take the Kruger National Park you can make a whole list to dwarf Cape Town I'd imagine. Like you said; it's bigger than the Netherlands. Punta Maria alone is worth a few key notes. Interesting stuff.

Thanks for the contributions guys.

LOL, Dassen Island.

Hein, you are selling Limpopo province short. I mean, the list isn't so long but if you take the Kruger National Park you can make a whole list to dwarf Cape Town I'd imagine. Like you said; it's bigger than the Netherlands. Punta Maria alone is worth a few key notes. Interesting stuff.

Do you want me to do every campsite of the Kruger? Because I will. I go there at least 4 times a year...

Do you want me to do every campsite of the Kruger? Because I will. I go there at least 4 times a year...

LOL, I didn't mean to go quite that extreme. But I think if TRF members come here and see this they could PM you or just post some general questions here I suppose so no need to waste time; I just meant you were making it sound as if you weren't living in an exciting area.

when I went to cape town on a school rugby tour.

I

Watched Western province play a game also watched them train.
Played against Bishops and Rondebosch schools
Went up table Mountain
Bay beach
Robben Island
Shopped at the V & A waterfront district.
Had a steak Balthazar's (Sirloin Medium Rare with Chips and this really nice base) had it separate from the school tour as I was allowed to meet with some very old family friends.
Also went to seal Island and went on some drives into the country.

Certainly had a great time.

when I went to cape town on a school rugby tour.

I

Watched Western province play a game also watched them train.
Played against Bishops and Rondebosch schools
Went up table Mountain
Bay beach
Robben Island
Shopped at the V & A waterfront district.
Had a steak Balthazar's (Sirloin Medium Rare with Chips and this really nice base) had it separate from the school tour as I was allowed to meet with some very old family friends.
Also went to seal Island and went on some drives into the country.

Certainly had a great time.

Glad to hear it!

Seems you hit most of the highlights as well; good job!

Latest posts