• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

People that **** me off

<div class='quotemain'>
All religions are right in their own way, and no one has any right to take that away.
[/b]

Surely that can't possibly be true though.

A maximum of one religion can be correct. It's impossible that there are more than that which are right.

That's why there has always been so much violence regarding religion, extremists cannot bring themselves to even contemplate that anyone's religion but their own is correct.
[/b][/quote]
I agree with you on this. Unfortunately it's not a matter of taste (like penut butter vs jelly). Religions are absolute. "This is the way." That is an absolute belief. Not an all inclusive "This is a way."

well this thread keeps getting more and more complicated eh!
i am a christian, i was brought up in a very stricht christian upbringing and my dad is a super intendant in the church.
i lost my faith basically becoz i now don't believe there is a god, i look around and see all the pain and suffering and can't imagine what kind of god wud do such a thing or let something like this happen.
i also think alot about the "choice" we are given by god. it's bullshit, yeah u can choose to be good or bad but the choice is influenced by going to heaven or hell, what kind of choice is that he's basically twisting our arm.
i also wonder y wud god send his only begotten son jesus down to earth some 2000 years ago to save the world, don't u think todays world is in more need of saviour than they were 2000 years ago? i don't think they exactly had planes flying into buildings or missiles killing thousands of ppl, there is so much confusion in the world with all the different beliefs and religions nowadays don't u think we need a saviour more than ever?
[/b]
To state it clearly the salvation Christ offered was not a political-revolutionary one. It was spiritual.
The real question of human suffering is: isn't it all our fault? Aside from Natural Disasters, tell me what problem on this earth isn't related to human greed, and wicked behavior? If we truly loved our neighbor as Christ preached (which was a completely revolutionary thought at the time) then we'd look out for the poor, the sick, the suffering. We'd poor more into human rights actions. But we live in a world where everyone is looking out for number one...themseleves.
Having written this, I'm extremely guilty of this...so I'm not the best person to sit and preach it, but it doesn't mean it's not true.

As far as this debate goes, I don't think you have to worry about it getting out of hand. I have my beliefs, I like to debate them (which I feel compelled to do), but I don't take them as personal attacks. The freedom of the exchange of ideas is what makes western society what it is. So, please don't worry about this debated spilling into the thread about how Johnny Wilkinson is a big homo...he can't help that he's made of glass...I guess we could blame God for that?! Oh no, I've gone and done it, haven't I?

i personally believe that God is with the good things in our world, things that make you happy, people who recover from near death etc. and that the suffering across the world is inflicted by satan.

but, the bible does also say that before the coming of the lord at the end of time, disasters and so on will get much worse (or words to that effect i havn't read that particular passage for a while) and think of the recent disasters, tsunami, earthquakes, 9/11 etc. getting more and more frequent.

being a christian was never meant to be an easy life in fact a lot of the time it can be much worse than being a non believer.

i would also like to point out that whilst the bible says God created the world in a 6 days, whos to say how long these days were? just because we have 24 hour days doesn't mean that its always been like that, God created humans last so to my mind that means that dinosaurs did exist before humans for a period of time.

i personally believe that God is with the good things in our world, things that make you happy, people who recover from near death etc. and that the suffering across the world is inflicted by satan.

but, the bible does also say that before the coming of the lord at the end of time, disasters and so on will get much worse (or words to that effect i havn't read that particular passage for a while) and think of the recent disasters, tsunami, earthquakes, 9/11 etc. getting more and more frequent.

being a christian was never meant to be an easy life in fact a lot of the time it can be much worse than being a non believer.

i would also like to point out that whilst the bible says God created the world in a 6 days, whos to say how long these days were? just because we have 24 hour days doesn't mean that its always been like that, God created humans last so to my mind that means that dinosaurs did exist before humans for a period of time.
[/b]
Brilliant points. In reference to your last point, I would like to revisit a comment someone made earlier on that the Bible is not one single book. It is a collective, and with each author and each book comes it's own writting style. Genesis especially is passing down an oral tradition of the jewish faith. Symbolism is massive in these writtings. So the 7 days we right about, in my mind were not 7 literal days. If you thouroughly read the creation story you get the sense that God was taking his time with the creation of earth slowly crafting it and adding things to get the perfect balance...and then when he was through, he added man, created in his own image.

I thought light was the first thing created?

Implying a solar cycle would probably be one of the first things experienced on Earth.

I'm sorry, I hate to be a cynical ******* all the time, but saying that God is God so he can have whatever length days he wants just strikes me as grasping at straws.

I thought light was the first thing created?

Implying a solar cycle would probably be one of the first things experienced on Earth.

I'm sorry, I hate to be a cynical ******* all the time, but saying that God is God so he can have whatever length days he wants just strikes me as grasping at straws.
[/b]
That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying that the use of the term "Day" is an analogical expression for the cycles of creation. Remember, we are translating ancient jewish text and trying to deal with expressing a very ancient idea that comes from an Oral tradition somewhere around 8,000 years old.

Please, understand I'm not saying "God is God." Nor am I saying that He chose to make time fit whatever he was doing. The creation story is a way of relating something very supernatural that started all natural life. It is explaining in ancient terms a series of events and trying to relate them in very human terms.

I don't mean to go off subject, but, my argumentative flat mate ****** me off.

This is the thread about things that **** you off.... you're not the one who has gone off the subject!

That's good to know, thought i may have been stepping into foreign territories whereby the subject had "unofficially" changed its ***le a religious one.
I don't mind the religion talk...i just wanted to get off my chest how much my flat mate ****** me off with his arguments.

Always baiting me...

"Rugby's ****. All you guys do is get drunk and watch a bunch of queers play with each other in the mud. And you block up cardiff for an entire day! There's no getting around the city at all on match day!"

Up him, i say :)

Better now, thanks.

That's good to know, thought i may have been stepping into foreign territories whereby the subject had "unofficially" changed its ***le a religious one.
I don't mind the religion talk...i just wanted to get off my chest how much my flat mate ****** me off with his arguments.

Always baiting me...

"Rugby's ****. All you guys do is get drunk and watch a bunch of queers play with each other in the mud. And you block up cardiff for an entire day! There's no getting around the city at all on match day!"

Up him, i say :)

Better now, thanks.
[/b]
Tell him Nate from America called him gay.

[/b]

Done.
It didn't really have any substance as i just kinda walked into his room and said,

"Nate from America says you're gay."

And then i left, but by golly, he didn't have a come back for that!

haha! B)

<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

Done.
It didn't really have any substance as i just kinda walked into his room and said,

"Nate from America says you're gay."

And then i left, but by golly, he didn't have a come back for that!

haha! B)
[/b][/quote]
Brilliant...that's a class move on your part, if you ask me...but I'm a known "*******."

Brilliant...that's a class move on your part, if you ask me...but I'm a known "*******."
[/b]

Show me a person who doens't have a ******* in his life and i'll show you a person who doesn't get the chance to call his flat mate "gay" because an American called Nate told him so.

Granted, i'm paraphrasing from what Dickens once said, but if he were in my shoes, you can bet your bottom dollar that he would have said the same thing!

P.S. That has to be one of the first times i've used an american expression without thinking about it. :rolleyes:
Proof that Britain is becoming more and more americanised every day.

not the most exceptional of american phraseology either...haha.
It is interesting how much our two worlds share now. I don't like it. Not that I mind that you share what we have, but I like our differences, and find them refreshing.

BTW, I'm just finishing the Argentina England match. Those guys (the pumas) are quite pleased with themselves.

So...people that **** me off: The English...you have to **** me off, I'm Irish.

Latest posts