• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Piracy, and things related

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

-JJ-

Recently there has been talk of people who have added chips or hard drives to their consoles. This is linked to piracy, and even if it is just to play the game from another region, it is too close to piracy, and it is better if it just is not talked about.

I've deleted several posts that are related to this already, and hopefully now you've had the warning I won't have to delete anymore.

Hmm. Can't think of any more exciting comment to end this on, and make me seem like less of a tight ass so I'll leave it there.

I was perhaps one of the offenders on that front, if my threads about PS2 patching counted or not i am not sure. My apologies if they did, however it's safe to say it was almost completely ignored and/or misunderstood (not understood at all).
<

I guess you're more reffering to downloads of games which surfaced a bit when the R2005 demo was circulating.

Anyway, new law has been taken into account.

Just a reminder, if you haven't read my first post in this thread, you should.

Originally posted by JJ-@Aug 16 2005, 04:07 PM
Phew, I told off chiro then looked for this topic up in the pinned section (so I could show it), and it wasn't there. I thought I'd gone crazy.

Originally posted by .:kaftka:.+Aug 16 2005, 04:22 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (.:kaftka:. @ Aug 16 2005, 04:22 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin--JJ-
@Aug 16 2005, 04:07 PM
Phew, I told off chiro then looked for this topic up in the pinned section (so I could show it), and it wasn't there. I thought I'd gone crazy. [/b]
kaftka, crazy? Never.
<

Ha, nah, thanks kaftka, your works brilliant.
<

Originally posted by JJ-+Aug 16 2005, 07:42 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (-JJ- @ Aug 16 2005, 07:42 PM)</div>
Originally posted by .:kaftka:.@Aug 16 2005, 04:22 PM
<!--QuoteBegin--JJ-
@Aug 16 2005, 04:07 PM

Phew, I told off chiro then looked for this topic up in the pinned section (so I could show it), and it wasn't there. I thought I'd gone crazy.
kaftka, crazy? Never.
<

Ha, nah, thanks kaftka, your works brilliant.
<
[/b]
"Well, heh, I try."

^Best. Line. Ever.

But I can't for the life of me remember what its from.

Why are we not allowed to talk about piracy or installing mod chips or whatever? Talking about piracy is hardly illegal.

Originally posted by BigTen@Aug 16 2005, 11:04 AM
Why are we not allowed to talk about piracy or installing mod chips or whatever? Talking about piracy is hardly illegal.
There are often members of games developement teams (Swordfish as was, for example) and it hardly gives the members a good reputation if piracy is commonly discussed as being a good thing. Members views on their games have been taken on board in the past, but this won't continue if the forum gains a bad reputation on this subject.

Basically, it's just safer not to talk about it.

While I agree that we should limit and curb our discussion of piracy and modding there exists a real and substantial rationale for modding systems.

I freely admit that my xbox is modded. That being said the reason... and only reason that I've done that is so I can play PAL format games (I live in Canada). Because a majority of European and Australasian games aren't released in NTSC (Region 1) format, I can't play them.

Even if I go to the expense and trouble to order the games online legitimately (which I do as I feel these programmers deserve monetary support to continue their wonderful efforts) I would not be able to enjoy them. In this day and age of a supposed global marketplace I find this inexcuseable.

So I modded my system. I didn't put a bigger hard drive in it and and I don't copy games onto the hard drive. I save my money and pay through the ear to get the games from Europe and Australasia I want. That means I've had to pay exhorbanent amounts for NRL and World Championship Rugby. I also am very interested in getting Brian Lara Cricket, AFL Premiership (is it any good?), Rugby Challenge 2006, and NRL 2 (hoping and praying it's released on xbox). I'm willing to pay and support these programmers. Should I be denied their business and they my money because the powers that be adopted different hardware/software systems by region.

I submit that no, and in this context modding is not only excuseable, but should also be encourage to provide a true worldwide marketplace for all programmers, not just the big fish located in North America who can afford to release games worldwide on different platforms.

That's my humble submission on the topic

i was looking through trevs posts the other day (because i have no life) and he was talking about piracy, and since i cant be assed finding the actual topic ill say it here...

1) I was reading in the led zep forum before, and led zep would be the greatest live band ever, so alot of people make bootlegs of there concerts, so john paul jones would go into cheap asian cd stores, grab all the burnt cds and stuff say "i belive these are mine" and walk out. i thought that was pritty cool.

but onto part 2)
question for trev, or ian, or the likes, do you belive that if you cannot purchase a item, you should be procecuted for it if you download it? two examples would be for music - live shows/acuoustic cuts/ b-sides that dont get released. dont sue me, but ive downloaded songs like negative creep, by velvet revolver (originally a nirvana song) and you cant buy it, so does this count as piracy?

also, abandomware, what are your veiws on this? some games that date back to the 80's and 90's are awesome as, like street rod, and worms. you cannot buy these games anymore, and often, the creators have been bought out, or closed down. so you cant find it on store shelves, or order it from the producer. if you dont illegally download these games, then they would be lost. any comments?

I thought "abandonware" downloads was legal? I think in that particular case, it definitely should be anyway.

Originally posted by abes58@Aug 24 2005, 03:35 PM
While I agree that we should limit and curb our discussion of piracy and modding there exists a real and substantial rationale for modding systems.

I freely admit that my xbox is modded. That being said the reason... and only reason that I've done that is so I can play PAL format games (I live in Canada). Because a majority of European and Australasian games aren't released in NTSC (Region 1) format, I can't play them.

Even if I go to the expense and trouble to order the games online legitimately (which I do as I feel these programmers deserve monetary support to continue their wonderful efforts) I would not be able to enjoy them. In this day and age of a supposed global marketplace I find this inexcuseable.

So I modded my system. I didn't put a bigger hard drive in it and and I don't copy games onto the hard drive. I save my money and pay through the ear to get the games from Europe and Australasia I want. That means I've had to pay exhorbanent amounts for NRL and World Championship Rugby. I also am very interested in getting Brian Lara Cricket, AFL Premiership (is it any good?), Rugby Challenge 2006, and NRL 2 (hoping and praying it's released on xbox). I'm willing to pay and support these programmers. Should I be denied their business and they my money because the powers that be adopted different hardware/software systems by region.

I submit that no, and in this context modding is not only excuseable, but should also be encourage to provide a true worldwide marketplace for all programmers, not just the big fish located in North America who can afford to release games worldwide on different platforms.

That's my humble submission on the topic
Hear, Hear.

Although I here NTSC Games are at reasonably good prices, just over the price of PAL, ecspecially at this site Knuck gave me. NCAA 06, College Hoops 2K5 e.t.c, if only they made consoles region free.

I only copy games to the harddrive that I own and have bought, that way I can keep the actual Discs in mint condition if I want to resell them on Trademe later on.

Originally posted by JJ-@Nov 14 2005, 12:58 PM
I thought "abandonware" downloads was legal? I think in that particular case, it definitely should be anyway.
na its illegal. you are still stealing a product arnt you?

a bit like grave robbing if you wish. the dead persons not doing anything with there stuff are they?

Abes58,

I agree with you about what you say about modding your xbox so that you can purchase games that would normally be unavailable to you because of different formats. I think that when Microsoft and Sony and all the the companies develop multi-zone dvds it is them that are acting unfairly. From a competition point of view it is hardly fair and as such should be protested against. I don't believe that people chip their consoles solely to pirate games - I know that there are some people that will and I acknowledge that - but the manufacturers are basically forcing the consumer to chip their console to access some games and then the temptation to pirate games will automatically be put into the consumer's head.

I have a PS2 and have not got it modded - at this stage there is no point and I have no problem in paying money for games. It is unlikely that I would ever pirate games - especially not rugby games.

Originally posted by sambad5+Nov 14 2005, 02:04 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sambad5 @ Nov 14 2005, 02:04 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin--JJ-
@Nov 14 2005, 12:58 PM

a bit like grave robbing if you wish. the dead persons not doing anything with there stuff are they? [/b]
Yeah, I thought that the company that had the rights to it declared it "abandoned" but I guess I was wrong.

Originally posted by JJ-+Nov 14 2005, 03:11 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (-JJ- @ Nov 14 2005, 03:11 PM)</div>
Originally posted by sambad5@Nov 14 2005, 02:04 PM
<!--QuoteBegin--JJ-
@Nov 14 2005, 12:58 PM

a bit like grave robbing if you wish. the dead persons not doing anything with there stuff are they?
Yeah, I thought that the company that had the rights to it declared it "abandoned" but I guess I was wrong. [/b]
i dont think that the companies actually declare it abandomed, but the people who download it, or make it avaible to download do.

i would like to see what trev would have to say about this though, ill pm him

If you consider Abbandonware just be an old game it is technically illegal to download but good luck finding a company that will take any action on it. If the Company abbandons the rights of the game (didn't know how to put that in words properly) then it fine to download.

Also i have a [fun] ps2 and its great. It has let me enjoy games like Chrono Cross, Dragon Warrior VII and if i ever get hold of it Valkyre Profile and Tales of Phantasia (they never made it to PAL format).

On the piracy of music, aslong as buy what you like I don't have a problem with it. I never would have forked out for, let alone known about, bands like The Visionaries, Chevelle, Weerd Science, Bullet for my Valentine, Dizzee Rascal, A Change of Pace, Exilia, Atomship etc if i hadnt download some of their music. But then again some people are cheap.
<

*Boldness for awesoness

Originally posted by Serge@Nov 14 2005, 07:23 PM
If you consider Abbandonware just be an old game it is technically illegal to download but good luck finding a company that will take any action on it. If the Company abbandons the rights of the game (didn't know how to put that in words properly) then it fine to download.

Also i have a [fun] ps2 and its great. It has let me enjoy games like Chrono Cross, Dragon Warrior VII and if i ever get hold of it Valkyre Profile and Tales of Phantasia (they never made it to PAL format).

On the piracy of music, aslong as buy what you like I don't have a problem with it. I never would have forked out for, let alone known about, bands like The Visionaries, Chevelle, Weerd Science, Bullet for my Valentine, Dizzee Rascal, A Change of Pace, Exilia, Atomship etc if i hadnt download some of their music. But then again some people are cheap. 
<

*Boldness for awesoness
*looks at JJ*

...he said it

*points to serge*
<

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts