• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Plans for new wildcats stadium unveiled

R

redunderthebed

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england...ire/8425048.stm

Wildcats announce stadium plans
Plans for a new community stadium which is hoped would secure Wakefield Trinity Wildcats' future in the Super League have been unveiled.

The club was awarded Super League licence on the promise of a move from the ageing Belle Vue site.

The new 12,000-seater stadium, on the site of a former colliery at Newmarket, will form part of a development of offices, restaurants and a hotel.

The club said it would offer state-of-the-art facilities for its supporters.

Wakefield have been at Belle Vue since 1878 but the ground does not meet current Super League licence criteria.

Plans for a new stadium on parkland near Wakefield city centre fell through 12 months ago.

But organisers said they were confident the latest project would come to fruition.

Rodney Walker, chairman of the Wakefield and District Community Stadium Trust, said: "The primary motivation for all of this is Wakefield's desire to stay in Super League and having a stadium that is compliant with the needs of modern-day spectators.

"We need to demonstrate to the Rugby Football League that we will have a new state-of-the-art stadium to play at when the time comes for the new franchises to be awarded.

"I wouldn't be announcing this today if I didn't have a high level of confidence of being able to deliver a new stadium."

A planning application for the stadium, close to junction 30 of the M62, along with a 15-bed hotel, offices and other sports facilities, will be submitted this week, with the club hopeful of moving in in 2012.

Wakefield chairman Ted Richardson said: "Whilst we will be saddened to be leaving Belle Vue, which has been our ancestral home for over 100 years, the new stadium will offer state-of-the-art facilities for our supporters."[/b]

Great move belle vue is a dump by all accounts.

Easily the worst ground in the league. Knowsley Road is finished as a top class stadium and has been for about 50 years, but Belle Vue is the worst ground in the league.

I can understand where you are coming from but we don't want rugby league to turn into football league/EPL where you have a bunch of stadium that are soulless all-seater concrete good for the almighty $ but s*it for atmosphere. <_<

Me too, but Belle Vue is a hole, old as it might be. There's nothing enjoyable about going there.

Latest posts