Player of the Championship Nominations Released

Getofmeland

The Dorset Drinker
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Bath
The final shortlist for the official 2012 RBS Player of the Championship has been announced, with a fans’ poll deciding the result now open on www.rbs6nations.com.
With Wales favourite to lift the trophy on Saturday, four Wales names dominate the shortlist of 12 players with Sam Warburton, Dan Lydiate, Alex Cuthbert and Mike Philips all receiving a nod. Despite not being in the running for the ***le this year, France has three votes with Julien Malzieu,Yoann Maestri and Imanol Harinordoquy all making the shortlist. The two teams battling to avoid the wooden spoon have also made the list, Scotland has two nominations with David Denton and Ross Rennie and Italy captain Sergio Parisse also makes the final list. The most noticeable absence this year is England, who do not have any players on the shortlist. Finally Ireland’s Jonathan Sexton andDonnacha Ryan will be looking to take the award back to Dublin, after it was won by their team mate Tommy Bowe in 2010 and former Ireland player Brian O’Driscoll in 2009.
All players recognised by the relevant television host broadcaster as RBS Man of the Match during the first four weekends of the Championship were automatically placed in contention for the prestigious award. The winner will be chosen by rugby fans from across the six nations who are being asked to vote for their RBS Player of the Championship, based on performance, form and achievement.
Fans can vote for the 2012 RBS Player of the Championship at www.rbs6nations.com and voting will remain open until midnight on Sunday 18th March. Once the votes have been counted and verified, the announcement of the official RBS Player of the Championship will be published onwww.rbs6nations.com on Wednesday 21st​ March.

Between Denton and Rennie for me - easily the best two in the comp, especially from the shortlist (though Harinordoquy is up there).
Hard to choose between the two though.

Last edited:
Former Ireland player O'Driscoll? Has he retired ?I thought he was only off on injury??

How is Mike Phillips on that list? His passing away from the break down is the slowest I have ever seen (except when I played 9 for about 3 minutes) yes he is big and strong but thats what forwards are for.
If Lancaster hadnt wasted those caps on Dowson I think Morgan could have been in with a shout.
I like Lydiate as he seems to get on with his job without much fuss orpraise and makes up a very important part of the well balanced back row.

Maybe more interesting would be players we expected to see on this list BEFORE the tournament started i.e O' Brien, Roberts, et al and whether or not they have delivered.

I dont think the two mentioned have played to the best of their ability O'Brien maybe played out of position but Roberts looks like he is still feeling the effects of that knee injury. I still think both of these guys are excellent players but I expected more from them.

How is Mike Phillips on that list? His passing away from the break down is the slowest I have ever seen (except when I played 9 for about 3 minutes) yes he is big and strong but thats what forwards are for.
If Lancaster hadnt wasted those caps on Dowson I think Morgan could have been in with a shout.
I like Lydiate as he seems to get on with his job without much fuss orpraise and makes up a very important part of the well balanced back row.

Maybe more interesting would be players we expected to see on this list BEFORE the tournament started i.e O' Brien, Roberts, et al and whether or not they have delivered.

I dont think the two mentioned have played to the best of their ability O'Brien maybe played out of position but Roberts looks like he is still feeling the effects of that knee injury. I still think both of these guys are excellent players but I expected more from them.

I think they just put all of the 'man of the match's so far on that list, that's what they did last year.

Former Ireland player O'Driscoll? Has he retired ?I thought he was only off on injury??
Presumably he's called that because he's not playing for them ATM (even though it's not that he's not been selected, he's just broked at the moment).

Ryan and Seton, but no Kearney? No Zanni, Halfpenny or Farell?. The mind boggles. Doesn't matter much in any case, the award's a popular vote, so it's down to which country votes the most.

Ryan and Seton, but no Kearney? No Zanni, Halfpenny or Farell?. The mind boggles. Doesn't matter much in any case, the award's a popular vote, so it's down to which country votes the most.

Sexton or Philips will win, then :p

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk

Sexton or Philips will win, then :p

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk

You haven't seen the Munster Mafia in action...there's alot of Farmers and Sheep that have just discovered broadband. Ryan has as good a chance as any.

in a championship that's been dominated by giants, one player has stood out above them all imo. Leigh halfpenny has been incredible in every aspect of the game!

Hate the way they do it now. You can have one good performance but be **** in every other match. IMO the player playing consistently well and the best over the tournament is Kearney.

Out of this shortlist I'd pick Denton.

Bit of a joke that list really.

Warburton has missed 2 games
Malzieu played well against Italy - thats it.
Cuthbert & Phillips - really?
Ryan - played well but wasn't the Scotland game his only start so far?

Can't argue with Lydiate, Denton, Rennie and Harinordoquy though.

I would go for Rennie off that list. Really impressive.

No England players is a bit of slap in the face but no suprise that we have won 3 games away and not got MOTM given in any. I would say Robshaw should be there with Barritt maybe. Just for both of their tackle counts and in Robshaw's case leading this inexperienced side when he only had 1 cap.

in a championship that's been dominated by giants, one player has stood out above them all imo. Leigh halfpenny has been incredible in every aspect of the game!

Except for catching high balls

Hate the way they do it now. You can have one good performance but be **** in every other match. IMO the player playing consistently well and the best over the tournament is Kearney.

+1

Its (yet more) utter idiocy!

What a shambles. Surely a more accurate shortlist would be: Leigh Halfpenny, Adam Jones, Ryan Jones, Ross Rennie, Dave Denton, Rob Kearney, Tommy Bowe, Stephen Ferris, Rory Best (?), Alessandro Zanni, Wesley Fofana, Owen Farrell?

Latest posts