• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Players to watch out for 2013/14

j'nuh

First XV
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Gloucester
Did this thread last year, was interesting reading some of the responses. I know Pro12 (maybe Top14?) guys wanted in on the action, so I've put this in the general rugby forum.

Which players do you have high hopes for this year? I want to know about those players you think will break out from the youth squad, will step up onto the international scene, new signings that haven't gotten much attention, or anyone else that you think is going to break out into the first team.

For Gloucester, other than the obvious players on the England fringe (Burns, May, Twelvetrees, Sharples, Kvesic), Dan Robson is the guy to watch. Made 30 appearances last season, probably outperforming Jimmy Cowan. Great pass on him and also plays fly-half. If he develops on last season, I can't see a Saxons call-up being too far away. Mills should get some decent exposure in the international windows, quite curious about him because I haven't seen an awful lot. Not expecting many other breakouts though. Stooke will be arriving on the scene and may get some exposure, but I think that the squad will be too competitive this year for most youngsters to get anything more than LV time, unless there's a mass England call-up.

I am very, very keen to see how Jean-Baptiste Barrque goes for Toulouse as I believe he has something that the right trainer, management and environment can bring out. He was, of course, one of the Biarrritz academy players who was, in my opinion, not well served here and should make huge progress at ST....Indeed, he could be in competition for international status in the near future and how France needs a fly half with Trinh Duc out of favour!!!

As for BO, we have a winger called Teddy Thomas for whom this season will be huge if his limited appearances of last season are anythiing to go by.

Got some new bloke called 'North' coming. Not heard much about him yet.

Would be nice to see Luther Burrell kick on from his good form at the end of last season. I think Waller, Waller and Harrison could be the young players to push on this season. Hopefully get a nice surprise from some of our slightly more unknown signings like Glen Dickson as well.

Hopefully Eli Walker'll pick up where he left off before injury and break into the Welsh side. He got into the squad last year, but injury meant he played no part in the Six Nations. I'd love to see him get a shot against at least Tonga in the autumn.

Tom Habberfield at the Ospreys also. He was outstanding for the Under 20s a couple of years ago, man of the match in Wales' win over New Zealand, and in his one game at scrum-half at the end of last season having been moved to the wing looked able to convert that form to senior rugby. I'd love to see him come through now Fotuali'i's left the Ospreys.

Cory Allen at the Blues is excellent. A centre who can also play fullback, he reads the game very well and has enough talent and ability to soften the Roberts blow pretty well, provided he's selected. Likewise, Owen Williams is a very lively, slippery customer in attack (Look at what he did to Toulon in the Heineken Cup) and often puts in some big tackles, even if his positioning is sometimes off.

Ospreys: Echoing DuncTheDoodle, hopefully Walker can quickly recapture the form he showed before injury, likewise Dirksen. Habberfield really should be first choice. Sam Davies will look to have a big season after winning the IRB young player of the year award. In the pack, Peers and King will hopefully kick-on. I really hope one of Baker or Morgan Allen can develop at 8, because Wales desperately need some cover there for Faletau. I also really like the look of Sam Lewis at openside, very much in the Warburton mould, and he produced some excellent performances last season in Tips' shadow.

Blues: Allen really is the big one. He simply has to be played from the off. Patchell needs to bounce back quickly from the disappointment of the Japan Tour.

Scarlets: The scrum half battle will be fascinating. I'm backing Rhodri Williams personally, as I think he's got the best all round game. Aled Davies has the best service though, whilst Gareth Davies has an excellent running game. Samson Lee had a breakthrough season last year, but the pressure will really be on this season to really secure the Scarlets scrum. Jordan Williams is an interesting one. One of the best open field runners I've seen, but where will his future be? I'd like to see him given a fair crack at 10 where he plays at club level. Similar to Matthew Morgan at the O's, he's going to have to prove he can cope physically at regional level though.

Dragons: Amos, Dixon and Ieuan Jones had a good season last year with the Dragons and Wales U20, so I'll be looking to see them push on this season and really help the Dragons' develop as a team. Likewise with Jonathan Evans at scrum half. Tovey is still young and has a lot to prove after a miserable season with the Blues. Mostly for the Dragons though, it's their new coaching set-up which will be key. Lyn and Kingsley are quality coaches, and I think he'll see a much more competitive Dragons team this season because of it.

Last edited:
Luke McGrath, one of the most talked about young Irish talents. Captained the Irish u20's last year started vs the Ospreys as well winning motm. Could be a rare thing, a top quality Irish scrumhalf.

Talked about it in another thread but I think Rhys Ruddock if not disrupted by injuries will break into the Leinster team this year. Bit of a forgotten man for a lot of people but think he could force himself back into people's councisness'.

Finally I think one of Adam Byrne, Darren Hudson or Billy Dardis will have a breakthrough. Fitzgerald will be injured for the start of the uear, McFadden and Kearney are going to be rested and I think Kirchener doesn't arrive for a while. Byrne is the youngest Leinster player ever and looked good in his two appearances but was poor in the Ireland u20's, Hudson is a wing/fullback who's 23 would have got more time last year but had a number of injury problems. Relatively big compared to most Leinster backs listed as 6'2" and 99kg looking at Leicster teams it looks like MO'C likes big wingers, also a former Dublin minor. Dardis is another hugely hyped player he was compared to Christian Cullen by Tony Ward and he's just done his leaving cert this year. Got a great turn of pace, is a wonderfully balanced runner and has good playmaking skills. Probably too early but could well be something special.

Luke McGrath, one of the most talked about young Irish talents. Captained the Irish u20's last year started vs the Ospreys as well winning motm. Could be a rare thing, a top quality Irish scrumhalf.

McGrath looks quality from what I've seen. Very well rounded scrum half.

McGrath looks quality from what I've seen. Very well rounded scrum half.

Yeah very high hopes for him, his pass was a bit of a worry a year ago but he's really worked at it. Seems to have all the attributes including the hard worl.

He's still got two Irish internationals ahead of him, and the capable John Cooney. Very talented, but he'll have to put in some big performances to get those guys out of the way. A new coach should be helpful in that regard, as one would imagine he'd have fewer favourites. That's no slight to Schmidt, but even the best coaches will go with what they know works.

Myself I'm eager to see how Darren Hudson performs this year. We're very green in the back three, and with Kearney, McFadden and Fitzgerald likely to see a fair bit of time with the national squad, he should get a lot of game time in the league.

Irish players...

Shane Layden, Connacht fullback.
Chris Farrell, Ulster Center.
JJ Hanrahan, Munster 10/12.
Jack Conan, Leinster 8.

Its hard to know who will get any gametime. Hanrahan will for Munster and Farrell will for Ulster but Conan and Layden might be kept back for another season.

McGrath is definitely one to look for he looked very comfortable against the Osprays last season so I hope he is given more game time thoughout this season, if he gets enough it could be his break through season.

Ospreys: Echoing DuncTheDoodle, hopefully Walker can quickly recapture the form he showed before injury, likewise Dirksen. Habberfield really should be first choice. Sam Davies will look to have a big season after winning the IRB young player of the year award. In the pack, Peers and King will hopefully kick-on. I really hope one of Baker or Morgan Allen can develop at 8, because Wales desperately need some cover there for Faletau. I also really like the look of Sam Lewis at openside, very much in the Warburton mould, and he produced some excellent performances last season in Tips' shadow.

Blues: Allen really is the big one. He simply has to be played from the off. Patchell needs to bounce back quickly from the disappointment of the Japan Tour.

Scarlets: The scrum half battle will be fascinating. I'm backing Rhodri Williams personally, as I think he's got the best all round game. Aled Davies has the best service though, whilst Gareth Davies has an excellent running game. Samson Lee had a breakthrough season last year, but the pressure will really be on this season to really secure the Scarlets scrum. Jordan Williams is an interesting one. One of the best open field runners I've seen, but where will his future be? I'd like to see him given a fair crack at 10 where he plays at club level. Similar to Matthew Morgan at the O's, he's going to have to prove he can cope physically at regional level though.

Dragons: Amos, Dixon and Ieuan Jones had a good season last year with the Dragons and Wales U20, so I'll be looking to see them push on this season and really help the Dragons' develop as a team. Likewise with Jonathan Evans at scrum half. Tovey is still young and has a lot to prove after a miserable season with the Blues. Mostly for the Dragons though, it's their new coaching set-up which will be key. Lyn and Kingsley are quality coaches, and I think he'll see a much more competitive Dragons team this season because of it.

I am personally stoked to watch Jeff Hassler at the Ospreys. He was an absolute beast in Canadian University football and I think he is going to light it up for you guys. Correct me if I am wrong, but my understanding is the Ospreys have signed him to a multi-year deal so hoping you guys take the time to develop him.

Some highlight videos:

Jeff Hassler High School Football highlights:

Last edited by a moderator:
Jack Conan, Leinster 8.

Was gonna mention him. Built on the same lines as Picamoles and looked really effective at U20 level. Think he could really take off if he gets a chance. Leinster should play him at 8 with Heaslip away.

Anyway...

Ulster players

Half the squad really. All of Henderson, Jackson, Gilroy, Luke Marshall and Olding have had the talent to get international caps very young and will be looking to kick on and cement this. If Paddy MacAllister can keep fit, then he is a simply phenomenal athlete who should barge his way into front row contention. Profitius mentioned Chris Farrell, built like an adamantium spiderman with some genuinely nice skills. I would also flag up Rob Herring - should get plenty of game time at hooker, was beginning to show very nicely at the end of last year - and Peter Nelson and Rory Scholes - both look very talented, if raw, will be interesting to see if they get a go with the senior team at some point.

English players

The fact that Guy Armitage is 6'4", built like a brick ****house, and got a rake of tries for London Irish despite them being shat appears to have completely missed everyone. Not quite sure what the story is there, didn't play that many games, but I shall be watching out for him. Will also be watching out for members of the LI diaspora - Garvey could add the genuinely lumpy lock option if he takes off at Bath, Joseph is Tuilagi's competition if he does the same, while Jame Gibson is a real back row talent who could really benefit from being at Leicester. Speaking of Leicester, will be really interested to see if Miles Benjamin can return to form after a long time injured. Zach Kiribrige at Newcastle is very young, but has lots of potential, Joel Hodgson and Nathan Fowles are two big talents weirdly overlooked by the U20s this year... this could go on and on, so just three more. George Kruis - Really hope he kicks on at Sarries. Jack Nowell - Looked very promising last year for Exeter. Mike Haywood - England's best young hooker imo, just has to displace Piggy Hartley.

Everywhere else...

I'm really pee'd off Max Lahiff decided he was Australian, if he can fulfil the potential he showed over here, he'll be in the Ozzie squad quicker than I'd cum in a chained-up Natalie Portman, very useful loosehead. Lahiff that is, not Portman. I really want to see how Dan Thomas pans out, he's been great for two years for Wales U20 at openside, but he is rather small. Mark Bennett and Jonny Gray are two of the best young sweaties I've seen in forever. And I'd be very interested to see how Beauden Barritt goes this year, and whether he can really crack the All-Blacks.

Was thinking about putting Conan in but with young Leinster backrows it's very hard to call. Conan is huge (listed as 6'4" 114 kg now but I remember him being listed as 6'5" 125kg) and a strong ball carrier. He's also one of three 8's in the squad with Auva'a maybe not certain of his future. All this counts in his favour however there's a lot more to suggest he won't really play this year. Heaslip, plays a lot of rugby, I'm pretty sure he had the most minutes from any Leinster player last season. While we have 3 specific 8's SO'B, Ruddock and Murphy can all play there and are all clearly ahead of Conan (though of course MO'C coming in could change that) with Auva'a also ahead. Conan wasn't even always in the A teams 23 last season and didn't get a lot of time. He has to be able to start for the A team imo before we can call him someone to watch out for. Having said that he could get lucky ala Murphy last season and has the talent to impress.

He's still got two Irish internationals ahead of him, and the capable John Cooney. Very talented, but he'll have to put in some big performances to get those guys out of the way. A new coach should be helpful in that regard, as one would imagine he'd have fewer favourites. That's no slight to Schmidt, but even the best coaches will go with what they know works.

My thinking is that at the start of the season he'll get a number of chances to impress because of Reddan's injury, Boss starting both tests in the summer meaning he'll probably have to be rested and that leaves just him and Cooney (who is as you said a good option) but he may also have to be rested as he played a few games in the Tblisi Cup though I'm not sure on the rules for that.

Of players who have barely played for their provinces, JJ Hanrahan stands out as a potential breakout Irish star. Ronan O'Gara's retirement should free the shackles from the Munster backline to play a more expansive style. Hanrahan will get lots of game time at worst playing between 10 and 12 spelling for Ian Keatley and James Downey initially. I suspect while he learns the ropes, Rob Penney will pick him at 12 more often to ease the pressure on him. His ball skills are very unIrish in that he can actually pass the damn thing and doesn't kick away possession needlessly. It's not beyond the realms of possibility that he could be capped next summer.

Slightly higher up the food chain is the already capped Iain Henderson. I'd love him to nail down a position in the second row but even if he stays at 6, working with Mark Anscombe and John Plumtree should improve his understanding of the game. This year he'll nail down an Ireland starting spot and keep it for the next decade.

Guys that could impose themselves in the premiership:

Sarries:

Ben Ransom: He could get a few starts at FB if Goode is still injured. The guy has got phenomenal footwork, especially on the artificial pitch.
Maro Itoje: I have to admit I don't know much about him, other than he's a 6/lock and that Lancaster mentioned him as someone who could potentially be involved come 2015.
I'm suggesting him more on a gut feeling than anything else...

Quins:

Jack Clifford: I'd imagine he's going to play a big role in the LV cup, the guy is class. Big, powerful, quick and smart.
Kyle Sinckler: One of England's best TH prospects. By all accounts the guy is freakishly strong, he certainly was at age group level. There's obviously a big transition for props, but I'm backing him to handle it well.
Again, he'll probably feature quite heavily in the LV.
Charlie Matthews: Could force his way in to regular starting contention in the wake of Olly Kohn's retirement, providing the bulk that Quins so desperately need.

Exeter:

Luke Cowan-Dickie: I just hope he keeps that ****ing lid.
Jack Nowell: He's already "come through" so to speak, but I'm pretty sure he's just going to improve this year.
Sam Hill: Maybe? Not sure... a midfield with him and Naqelevuki would be direct, if nothing else.

Bath:

Anthony Watson: Looked sharp at JPM 7's. Will probably feature in the LV and maybe cover for Abendanon in the premiership, I am assuming he's going to be developed as Abendanon's heir.
Rob Webber: If he can continue the form he started to show at the end of last season and with England in Argentina then he could oust Hartley sooner rather than later.

Last edited:
Charlie Walker: Could force his way in to regular starting contention in the wake of Olly Kohn's retirement, providing the bulk that Quins so desperately need.

I don't think you mean Charlie Walker

You might mean this guy though ;)

That said, Walker mightn't be a bad shout to watch... Quins wingers are mostly never-weres, with the exception of Ugoooooo, and Ross Chisholm who may have injured himself again. Walker is very quick, might get himself a chance there.

But I don't think he's going to replace Ollie Kohn's bulk somehow.

Also, bet you a tenner Ransom never really amounts to anything. Nice feet, never saw anything else from him.

Latest posts