• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Players who never reached their potential

Draggs

Hall of Fame
TRF Legend
With Caucaunibuca unlikely to get another contract, it had me thinking about others who never really reached their expected levels of success. It can be through injury, moving/not moving clubs, positions changes, or anything else. Few that I have:
-Gavin Henson (showed some true talent early on, but through injury and stupidity never reached his heights)
-Iestyn Harris (Rushed into union and ruined an excellent player. Compare his introduction to union with Jason Robinson)
-Brent Russell (Shifted throughout the Sharks, Stormers, Saracens, Clermont backline. A classy little player who could have been in the Springbok 22 regularly)
-Dan Biggar (Jury is still out, but a vastly different player in regards to his style than the one in 2008)
-Shane Geraghty (Toby Booth just does something to outside halves. I didn't really play too much attention to LI, but Geraghty seemed to be a bit different from the Flood/Wilkinson 10. Martin Johnson selecting him at 12 didn't help)
-Chris Wyatt (Supposed to be the new style second row. Powerful and athletic, Wyatt was limited by his lack of desire to train)
-Craig Quinnell (See Chris Wyatt)

Jonathan Thomas - great match vs New Zealand in 2003 and was thinking he could be a fixture in the Wales back row for many years, but has been disappointing since

Not one anyone would know but Stephen Grissing was in my school years ago looked like the next big thing at schools level but never made it.

Off the top of my head, three from injury early on in their careers:

Danny Cipriani
Matthew Tait
Tom Rees

Alix Popham
Andy Powell (They are pretty much the same player. From Newport RFC. Showponies. Wider than they are tall)
Matt Cardey (injury/hair problems, Rhys Williams quickly overtook him)
Jason Jones Hughes (thought I wiped him from my memory)
Pretty much 99% of all new Welsh caps from 1988-2001 could qualify here.

Alix Popham
Andy Powell (They are pretty much the same player. From Newport RFC. Showponies. Wider than they are tall)

The word you're looking for is chode.

Alix Popham

There's a difference between not reaching your potential and being a bit dirt. Personally I thought Powell got as far as his ability could take him, considering he got to tour with the Lions.

There's a difference between not reaching your potential and being a bit dirt. Personally I thought Powell got as far as his ability could take him, considering he got to tour with the Lions.
He showed quite a bit of potential early on with Newport RFC, as did Popham.

He showed quite a bit of potential early on with Newport RFC, as did Popham.

You'd know better than me I guess. Still, there's a world of difference between the Welsh Premiership and international rugby. I thought he did as well as he could have, but I guess we'll agree to differ.

Kidding, I'm most certainly right.

James Hook anyone I think he has maxed out his potential to be honest he is where I would imagine Gavin Henson would of been if he didnt have a sabatical.

Alix Popham

I disagree here Draggs, Feicarsinn is right Powell reached the height of what he could achieve, also think it is a bit harsh on Popham to call him a showpony he did some big tackling as well

also lots of the Welsh players from that 2000-01 period had no or little potential in the first place, for example look at Craig Morgan he did well considering his lack of skill to get a professional career

agree with Robert Prosser, Hook had potential to be one of the best in Europe but he lacks some elements which has hindered him, I still think if he hadn't made a big fuss about playing centre he would be starting for Wales alongside Roberts

Last edited:
Fair enough then. Popham could make some good hits, but he could float out on the wing at times waiting for the ball. Some people like their blindsides in that role, I personally don't.
Craig Morgan was excellent, nobody can say a bad thing about him.
Along with the Martyn Madden declaring it to be party time, I am obliged to post this once a year, usually when someone has a good at little Craig.

Last edited by a moderator:
Luke McAlistair (combination of ego and poor advice)
Ron Cribb (went to Japan too early)
Jamie Mackintosh (yet anyway... he still gets owned at scrum time)
Isaiah Toeava (he has been carrying some serious injury issues for quite some time though)
Brendon Leonard
Jason Eaton
Rodney Blake (remember he was "Rodzilla" for a while... the next big thing in Aussie props.... now he doesn't even get a mention)
Pierre Spies (had 1 or 2 decent seasons, now he is practically invisible on the field, unless you spot him missing tackles)

Luke McAlistair
Carlos Spencer. He still played for the ABS, but lacked consistency. Loved watching him play at his best
Iain Balshaw - saw him rip the frogs apart a few years back, he reminded me of Christian Cullen
Lote Tuiquiri

I played with some awesome players at school and club level who could have made it (at least to Super 15 level) but just either couldn't be arsed putting in the effort or got into ****/drugs.

Last edited:
Topsy Ojo - Two games against the All Blacks. Two tries. Two games for the Saxons. Two tries. Keeps missing out on selection because of an incident in 2008. Was the best thing about England's 2008 squad v NZ.

Ben Atiga - Looked incredibly classy in his youth, tipped Christian Cullen out of the 2003 RWC. Been on again and off again in pro rugby since.

Aled de Malmanche - Was probably the best scrummaging hooker in New Zealand and one of the strongest players. Was brillaint making metres. Never fixed his lineout throwing, which had he fixed it he should have been an All Black regular and could have been a starter.

Latest posts