• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Podcast Thread

Ben Rhodes - former deputy NSA to Obama.

I used to watch this on Channel 5, there were some interesting episodes. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like it's available to stream anywhere (without renting).
Yeh watched most of the ones of channel 5. The ones with Richard Shepherd were very good. Bit of morbid curiosity on my part. Famous people and how they died: Michael Jackson, Marilyn Monroe, Micheal Hutchence, Elvis, Heath Ledger, River Phoenix, Whitney Houston, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Winehouse. Those are just off the top of my head.

The way peeps die shows how they lived, which is what I find interesting. A lot of the above were drug related and mixed their drugs - Ledger (unintentionally) and Hoffman being prime examples.

Watched the Bruce Lee one on YouTube before they took it down for Copyright reasons. But this podcast is just the narration without the video. I always thought his death was exploited by his family. Brandon went to his grave thinking his father died from an allergic reaction to a headache tablet.

The Dragon film also takes artistic licence with Bruce Lee's life and the last line of the film "people always wonder about the way he died, but I prefer to remember the way he lived." always stuck in my mind as a big Hollywood Kop out.

The film blamed his back injury on a fight, instead of being caused by doing a "morning glory" after not warming up properly - because well it was more entertaining to tell it that way.

I think him taking and abusing Cortisone is the most likely explanation I have seen so far of his early death as it was unlikely he could have come back to resume his martial arts acting career without taking something to recover from such a serious back injury.

The way peeps die shows how they lived, which is what I find interesting. A lot of the above were drug related and mixed their drugs - Ledger (unintentionally) and Hoffman being prime examples.

The Dragon film also takes artistic licence with Bruce Lee's life and the last line of the film "people always wonder about the way he died, but I prefer to remember the way he lived." always stuck in my mind as a big Hollywood Kop out.
I remember seeing the Phillip Seymour Hoffman one and thinking that they were running a bit short of subjects - drug addict dies of overdose wasn't exactly much of a conundrum to unravel!

Hopefully Bruce Lee injured his back doing good mornings (my back hurts just thinking about doing them). I don't recall ever warming up when I've had the chance to make use of morning glory! ;)

Do you or have you ever liked movies that are solely made to entertain a predominantly male audience with limited attention spans and literally no one else?
Then I have a podcast for you, cinephobe. Where they ascertain whether or not movies that have scored less than 40% on rotten tomatoes have gotten a fair shake.

It's by two NBA media people who are very funny and they have a great producer.
Cinephobe on Apple Podcastshttps://podcasts.apple.com › podcast › cinephobe
Cinephobe | Podcast on Spotifyhttps://open.spotify.com › show

Been listening to these short "podcasts" but really extracts read by the author from her book on her experiences growing up in takeaway.
Personally, as a BBC and my parents being 1st generation immigrants, I can definitely relate to her experiences.

In my parent's case fish and chip takeaway in Home Counties of England rather than a Chinese takeaway in the Valleys of Wales. But still very similar in terms of experience: The identity crisis and counter acting as a physical divide between the clashing cultures. The communication issues with parents.

Also reminded me how Chinese takeaways around my area have receded through the second generation not wanting to take over the previous businesses, but also due to the increasing saturation of the fast food business has eroded the profits in the catering business.

Not going to get any better with rising costs. It's a sodding hard life anyway and increasingly for little reward. Glad my parents got out of it while they could.

Not going to get any better with rising costs. It's a sodding hard life anyway and increasingly for little reward. Glad my parents got out of it while they could.
A friend of mine posted a receipt from his parents' chip shop from 1994. 4 x large cod + chips, 1 x 1/2 chicken and chips and 3 drinks cost £14.90. According to the Bank of England's inflation calculator, that should be £25.33 today. Looking at the prices on the website of the people that operate out of those premises as close as you can get to the equivalent now would cost £57!

I understand that chip shops are already feeling the pinch as fish prices soar, so gas prices going through the roof must be really tough on them. I can see a good number going to the wall soon, as prices fall in line with other takeaways, even get more expensive, people will choose other types of takeaway.

A friend of mine posted a receipt from his parents' chip shop from 1994. 4 x large cod + chips, 1 x 1/2 chicken and chips and 3 drinks cost £14.90. According to the Bank of England's inflation calculator, that should be £25.33 today. Looking at the prices on the website of the people that operate out of those premises as close as you can get to the equivalent now would cost £57!

I understand that chip shops are already feeling the pinch as fish prices soar, so gas prices going through the roof must be really tough on them. I can see a good number going to the wall soon, as prices fall in line with other takeaways, even get more expensive, people will choose other types of takeaway.
Yep crazy how prices have risen due to rising costs. One fish and chip shop near me closed "temporarily" last summer due to "staff shortages." But still hasn't reopened. One of many I suspect.

My parents' old shop is being run by a couple
Of Asian brothers now. Every time I pass by there's maybe 1 customer in there max. Though now with online orders/ delivery that can't be seen as the indicator of being busy.

But the parade of shops which it is on has now been whittled down to 2 shops, an accountants and wealth management offices. The rest of the shops converted to residential maisonettes. Local pubs, also closed down.

My dad, now long time retired, always reminisces about the "good 'old days." Forgetting to mention the recession in the 90s. Lol.

Still, I think it's a slow evolution really as people's tastes change, reflected in the economy and life moves on. I can see why people look back and hark on the past (Brexit?!) - really based on nostalgia and losing roots and sense of community.

Last edited:
I've noticed the chippy getting much much more expensive as well - always used to be the cheap and cheerful option now it's possibly the most expensive take away (definitely more than McDonalds and the local Chinese takeaway at least)

Been listening to "the rest is history" and "history of English". Always had a casual interest in linguistics (my high school dropped the class the year before I had the chance to take it) so pretty exciting to hear about it.

If you haven't listened to it, 13 Minutes to The Moon is excellent.

If you have, it's still excellent.

Latest posts