Pods? Any idea of best way to use them?

JonnyPCash

Academy Player
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Hurricanes
Hey guys,

Just looking at adjusting my gameplay and interested to know anyone's take on using the pods.
I remember seeing somewhere an explanation of the best way to use the different sets but for the life of me can't find the info again. If anyone knows the advantages to the 3 setups and when to use them best it'd be great to hear from you.
For those not sure what I mean, in game tactics and advanced gameplay (in the game) there are 3 settings: 4/4,
2/4/2 and 3/2/3

For some reason I can't change any of the preferred pods in tactics. They always default back to 4/4 for some reason. But I'm wondering if I can improve my own game skills by using them more effectively.

Thanks in advance for any help with this!

Hey guys,
For some reason I can't change any of the preferred pods in tactics. They always default back to 4/4 for some reason. But I'm wondering if I can improve my own game skills by using them more effectively.

I couldn't help you with actual in game strategies of when to use, but I believe when you are adjusting a teams tactics in the team editor, those will only be the default tactics for that team when you are playing against them.

I could be mistaken however, that is just what I have gathered from my experience. Somebody may know more than me about it.

I couldn't help you with actual in game strategies of when to use, but I believe when you are adjusting a teams tactics in the team editor, those will only be the default tactics for that team when you are playing against them.

I could be mistaken however, that is just what I have gathered from my experience. Somebody may know more than me about it.

Yeah that's kinda what I'm looking for. One the one hand I'd like to figure out the best way to use them for my own gameplay but also whether if I can change the defaults to maybe set up better gameplay from the CPU teams in Career, Be a Pro and Competitions (for offline gameplay). If it's possible to do at all.

I invested some time into it a while ago. Turned out it's just too risky when heading into a maul and getting it turned over. Plus, it only worked every so often where two men would follow the ball carrier. It was a rare occasion to see them line up nicely for the halfback/scrumhalf to feed them the ball, only to have the main runner get smashed back and sometimes fumble the ball due to the predictable nature of it.

Thanks for the advice. Guess it's just one of those things where you gotta just deal with what the game gives you cause the coding wasn't quite there. Wish it was usable, it would make the game so much better in my humble opinion.

Hi guys I'm new here. Someone can explain me the meaning of 2/4/2 3/2/3 and 4/4?
Thank you

Hi guys I'm new here. Someone can explain me the meaning of 2/4/2 3/2/3 and 4/4?
Thank you
A pod is the amount of players (usually forwards) you send close to the number 9 at a ruck/maul. For the case of 2/4/2 (3 phases of play), this means that in the first phase from a ruck/maul, 2 players will run it up to create another ruck/maul. The second phase will consist of 4 players to run it up and create another ruck/maul, then the third phase will consist of 2 players again. It is generally from there that the opposing team will come in closer to counter these rucks/mauls and it is from here that the half back will usually spin it wide when they see the defense open up.

Hope that makes sense.

A pod is the amount of players (usually forwards) you send close to the number 9 at a ruck/maul. For the case of 2/4/2 (3 phases of play), this means that in the first phase from a ruck/maul, 2 players will run it up to create another ruck/maul. The second phase will consist of 4 players to run it up and create another ruck/maul, then the third phase will consist of 2 players again. It is generally from there that the opposing team will come in closer to counter these rucks/mauls and it is from here that the half back will usually spin it wide when they see the defense open up.

Hope that makes sense.
Thank you so much Colosss Now I got it!

Also have to add that on 4/4 you'd have more backline players running the ball in your backline, instead of forwards. The moment you move to 2/4/2 or 3/2/3 you will either get props or flankers in your backline.
Also another tip is to increase the passing stat for your scrumhalf. This ensures if you're on 4/4 that he is the one taking the ball at each maul. The game is coded depending on your ruck setting high, low, medium to choose the nearest player with the best passing stat to take the ball at the mall.

Just my 2cents, I've tested this numerous times and seemed to have worked everytime. Would be nice if other people can confirm as well?

Many thanks @Frans.Hendrik
Even though I can't modify pod options in the team settings. I changed them and other values, I save but then they come back to the previous settings o_O

These default settings will also be applied when you play as the team. For instance, if your default line depth in the defense zone is set to deep, it will be deep during the match unless you specify something else. However, the in-match modified settings will only stand for one or a couple of phases, so you need to regularly change your tactics during the game if you wish to apply a certain strategy during an extended period of time. This can be frustrating, but it brings coherence to the overall team tactics, so finely tune your settings before playing would be the best thing to do.

The only problem is whenever you want to change your strategy from one match to another when playing with the "competition" or "career" modes. The teams' strategies are set permanently before the competition begins.

Best way to attack with variety is with the backline. Look at the opositions defence line and try and alter your line width from narrow normal wide as this moves their defence out of line as their players react to you're players moving into position which can create gaps in the midfield or open space out wide. Pods work but not when you play against a team that ruck aggressive like most NZ teams.

Against Teams that have a lot of possession its best to play territory kick the ball up field defend for your life, turnover the ball and attack with urgency or win a penalty.

Latest posts