• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Polynesian influence on Rugby and European Development

rugbynoob

Academy Player
Hi, first of all, I want to say that I know nothing about Rugby, not the rules or anything. Don't really have a desire to learn other than the cultural significance i'm asking here.

I was wondering if someone could explain to me how the cultural synthesis of European and Polynesian influences/popularity came to be?

It seems Rugby is popular in western countries (except for the USA, where American Football is popular). However, the Polynesian influence cannot be overlooked. It seems like "hakas" are common as a pre-game pump up celebration and obviously the sport is popular among the Polynesians. How did these seemingly odd-pot of cultures mix together to form this sport?

A lot of Polynesian countries are former British colonies and protectorates... they were introduced to Rugby by direct British influence.

just like basketball seems to have been tailor-made for black people, so is Rugby by coincidence the perfect platform for Pacific Islanders and their very adequate physical specimen.

just like basketball seems to have been tailor-made for black people, so is Rugby by coincidence the perfect platform for Pacific Islanders and their very adequate physical specimen.

Translation: They have MASS!

Translation: They have MASS!

ha ha ha, exclamation mark. That is. A funny commentary.

fake-smile.jpg

Latest posts