• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Pool/Billiards

NZbloke

Academy Player
Country Flag

New Zealand

Club or Nation

Hurricanes

@NZbloke : I like that. I also enjoy learning about and playing whenever possible the rarer forms of billiards, such as Italian or Danish ‘pin billiards’. There’s a great website www.tradgames.org.uk with loads of inspiration and ideas.

It’s a grey area between game and sport. I associate all forms of billiards with days when outdoor sports are ‘rained off’.
Thanks Ticklishchap - Italian or Danish pin billiards sounds fascinating, how do they differ from the usual pin billiards game ? ...thanks for the games site, had a squiz, looks really cool, will have a good look at it later.

Yeah, when sport is rained off all forms of billiards are really good games to play, find them so relaxing too - as you know playing billiards is all about how well you control the cue ball, with screw back shots, stop shots, running top, running side etc, if you can execute those well you're consistently going to make bigger breaks, also have to think a couple of shots ahead every time before you play a shot.

In the late 1980's I walked into a Billiard Saloon where 6 blokes were playing Allies... they put a $100 on the table each, the bloke that started first potted his ball off the break & won $600, easy money ay, better than working :)

Ticklishchap

Academy Player
Country Flag

England

Club or Nation

England

Thanks Ticklishchap - Italian or Danish pin billiards sounds fascinating, how do they differ from the usual pin billiards game ? ...thanks for the games site, had a squiz, looks really cool, will have a good look at it later.

Yeah, when sport is rained off all forms of billiards are really good games to play, find them so relaxing too - as you know playing billiards is all about how well you control the cue ball, with screw back shots, stop shots, running top, running side etc, if you can execute those well you're consistently going to make bigger breaks, also have to think a couple of shots ahead every time before you play a shot.

In the late 1980's I walked into a Billiard Saloon where 6 blokes were playing Allies... they put a $100 on the table each, the bloke that started first potted his ball off the break & won $600, easy money ay, better than working :)
Five-pin_billiards

NZbloke: Thanks for your reply. I have attached (see above) the wikipedia entry on Five-Pin Billiards, which I hope you will enjoy.

As you say, all types of Billiards are a very satisfying way to spend an afternoon when sport is rained off, which does happen from time to time in the UK. ... Billiards games are relaxing but also a good test of intelligence, coordination and the capacity for quick thinking.

The Allies game sounds interesting. You didn't say whether you won anything or not?

NZbloke

Academy Player
Country Flag

New Zealand

Club or Nation

Hurricanes

Five-pin_billiards

NZbloke: Thanks for your reply. I have attached (see above) the wikipedia entry on Five-Pin Billiards, which I hope you will enjoy.

As you say, all types of Billiards are a very satisfying way to spend an afternoon when sport is rained off, which does happen from time to time in the UK. ... Billiards games are relaxing but also a good test of intelligence, coordination and the capacity for quick thinking.

The Allies game sounds interesting. You didn't say whether you won anything or not?
Have played 5-pin billiards before Ticklishchap... didn't realize it was called Italian or Danish pin billiards though, thanks for the info anyway mate.

Yeah, billiards is a good test of intelligence & eye-hand coordination etc - English Billiards is great for getting the feel for angles & touch shots... really enjoy snooker, it's a bit like a chess game, have to be thinking all the time.

Have never played for money in Allies... 3 or 4 of my mates come round to my house to play Allies a couple of times a week, we are all given 30 counter chips each, so the one with the most chips at the end has the bragging rights, giving all the others a hard time for losing :D

Ticklishchap

Academy Player
Country Flag

England

Club or Nation

England

Have played 5-pin billiards before Ticklishchap... didn't realize it was called Italian or Danish pin billiards though, thanks for the info anyway mate.

Yeah, billiards is a good test of intelligence & eye-hand coordination etc - English Billiards is great for getting the feel for angles & touch shots... really enjoy snooker, it's a bit like a chess game, have to be thinking all the time.

Have never played for money in Allies... 3 or 4 of my mates come round to my house to play Allies a couple of times a week, we are all given 30 counter chips each, so the one with the most chips at the end has the bragging rights, giving all the others a hard time for losing :D
Good morning mate - well, it’s morning here anyway,
There’s a kind of fairly light-hearted nationalism with Italy in particular claiming ‘ownership’ of 5-pin Billiards.
English Billiards was the first one I learned. We had a Billiard Table in the House at the boys’ boarding school I attended (you have similar British-modelled schools in NZ) and also in the Mess Room for Corps (Wednesday afternoon activity: we all belonged to either Army, Navy or RAF sections). When Rugger (as we called it) was rained off, or Cricket matches for that matter, I would either head for one of those two Billiard rooms or the library. Usually the Billiard Rooms I have to say.
Snooker is popular as a pub game here. You’re right about the need to think. I agree with your comment about English Billiards and it’s the form to which I have the strongest attachment.

NZbloke

Academy Player
Country Flag

New Zealand

Club or Nation

Hurricanes

Good morning mate - well, it’s morning here anyway,
There’s a kind of fairly light-hearted nationalism with Italy in particular claiming ‘ownership’ of 5-pin Billiards.
English Billiards was the first one I learned. We had a Billiard Table in the House at the boys’ boarding school I attended (you have similar British-modelled schools in NZ) and also in the Mess Room for Corps (Wednesday afternoon activity: we all belonged to either Army, Navy or RAF sections). When Rugger (as we called it) was rained off, or Cricket matches for that matter, I would either head for one of those two Billiard rooms or the library. Usually the Billiard Rooms I have to say.
Snooker is popular as a pub game here. You’re right about the need to think. I agree with your comment about English Billiards and it’s the form to which I have the strongest attachment.
Giday mate - yeah, gets a bit confusing with our different time zones... at the moment it's 10.20am {nzt} here.

Like the light-hearted banter with England & Italy over 5-pin billiards :) first one I learned was 8Ball pool - but reckon the best one to start with is English Billiards like you did, as you're going to improve your all-round game faster.
Yeah, we have similar boarding schools - sounds pretty cool though that your midweek activity in the arvo was that you either belonged to Army, Navy or RAF sections, also ideal you could play billiards if the rugby or cricket was rained off.
That's great you can play snooker in the pubs, we only have pool tables in our local pubs... good having a bit of a yak to you mate.

Last edited:

Ticklishchap

Academy Player
Country Flag

England

Club or Nation

England

Giday mate - yeah, gets a bit confusing with our different time zones... at the moment it's 10.20am {nzt} here.

Like the light-hearted banter with England & Italy over 5-pin billiards :) first one I learned was 8Ball pool - but reckon the best one to start with is English Billiards like you did, as you're going to improve your all-round game faster.
Yeah, we have similar boarding schools - sounds pretty cool though that your midweek activity in the arvo was that you either belonged to Army, Navy or RAF sections, also ideal you could play billiards if the rugby or cricket was rained off.
That's great you can play snooker in the pubs, we only have pool tables in our local pubs... good having a bit of a yak to you mate.
Giday to you too mate . It’s 10.20 pm here, Saturday night and I’ve just seen your message. It’s a great thing about the internet that you can make new friends with shared interests across the world. I haven’t been to NZ I’m afraid but I was born in Melbourne as my father worked there for a few years. I have a few memories of it before returning to England; I had my first year of school Down Under. If I had stayed there I would have played Footy.

I think we’re of similar vintage probably because you mentioned the 80s in an earlier post.

It’s true that in most pubs you just play pool, but I’ve enjoyed pub snooker games and tournaments as well. I enjoy both games but I’m a bit of an old traditionalist and so my favourite is still English Billiards.

Re. the Corps at boarding school, I was in the Army section, which I enjoyed a lot as I had (still have) a strong interest in military history and WW2. It was a close call because I was (still am) very interested in the Navy as well and knew several Naval officers who were friends of the family and thought of them as men of great integrity. Which one do you think you’d have joined? Corps was Wednesday afternoon (arvo) with sports on the other days.

NZbloke

Academy Player
Country Flag

New Zealand

Club or Nation

Hurricanes

Giday to you too mate . It’s 10.20 pm here, Saturday night and I’ve just seen your message. It’s a great thing about the internet that you can make new friends with shared interests across the world. I haven’t been to NZ I’m afraid but I was born in Melbourne as my father worked there for a few years. I have a few memories of it before returning to England; I had my first year of school Down Under. If I had stayed there I would have played Footy.

I think we’re of similar vintage probably because you mentioned the 80s in an earlier post.

It’s true that in most pubs you just play pool, but I’ve enjoyed pub snooker games and tournaments as well. I enjoy both games but I’m a bit of an old traditionalist and so my favourite is still English Billiards.

Re. the Corps at boarding school, I was in the Army section, which I enjoyed a lot as I had (still have) a strong interest in military history and WW2. It was a close call because I was (still am) very interested in the Navy as well and knew several Naval officers who were friends of the family and thought of them as men of great integrity. Which one do you think you’d have joined? Corps was Wednesday afternoon (arvo) with sports on the other days.
Giday Ticklishchap - as you say, it's great to have a good yak to others from around the world through the net, also make new friends... that's cool that you were born across the ditch, probably makes you part Aussie & part English :)

Yeah, sounds like we're both from the same era... it's an individual thing to what type of billiards game someone likes, it's all about which one you enjoy playing the most.

All the options are really good ones, but I'd probably join the RAF though - interesting you were talking about WW2 history... watched ' The First Of A Few ' movie the other day based on the life of R.J. Mitchell, as you know he designed the Spitfire, the bloke was a genius.

Ticklishchap

Academy Player
Country Flag

England

Club or Nation

England

Giday Ticklishchap - as you say, it's great to have a good yak to others from around the world through the net, also make new friends... that's cool that you were born across the ditch, probably makes you part Aussie & part English :)

Yeah, sounds like we're both from the same era... it's an individual thing to what type of billiards game someone likes, it's all about which one you enjoy playing the most.

All the options are really good ones, but I'd probably join the RAF though - interesting you were talking about WW2 history... watched ' The First Of A Few ' movie the other day based on the life of R.J. Mitchell, as you know he designed the Spitfire, the bloke was a genius.
I guess you’re right: I still feel a close link with Australia and am proud to have been born there.

All types of Billiards games interest me.

I am of course also interested in the RAF and have seen ‘The First of A Few’, a good movie. I have an RAF sweater - the blue-grey version of the British military Woolly Pully (ribbed wool with patches at shoulders and elbows) and like it a lot. There is a lot about that Service that interests me but I suppose I have always found the Army’s regimental history more interesting and the Navy has been in many ways the backbone of our military.

You’re right: we had a great choice at school and I was also introduced to a lot of sports there.

Ticklishchap

Academy Player
Country Flag

England

Club or Nation

England

As far as the Forces are concerned, I was a teenager at the time of the Falklands War, followed it very closely then and read all the books that came out about it shortly afterwards. That’s one reason why I was very torn between Army and Navy. I also knew a few blokes who participated, with both Services.

As far as sports are concerned, I became very interested in Rugby aged 11 and enjoyed playing through my schooldays, college and for a number of years after that. I played some football but it was overshadowed by Rugger. And there was Cricket in the summer. I wish I had continued with Fencing but I was so busy with the other things. Sport was known as ‘eccer’ in school slang, short for exercise.

Last edited: