• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Pool/Billiards

@NZbloke : I like that. I also enjoy learning about and playing whenever possible the rarer forms of billiards, such as Italian or Danish 'pin billiards'. There's a great website www.tradgames.org.uk with loads of inspiration and ideas.

It's a grey area between game and sport. I associate all forms of billiards with days when outdoor sports are 'rained off'.
Thanks Ticklishchap - Italian or Danish pin billiards sounds fascinating, how do they differ from the usual pin billiards game ? ...thanks for the games site, had a squiz, looks really cool, will have a good look at it later.

Yeah, when sport is rained off all forms of billiards are really good games to play, find them so relaxing too - as you know playing billiards is all about how well you control the cue ball, with screw back shots, stop shots, running top, running side etc, if you can execute those well you're consistently going to make bigger breaks, also have to think a couple of shots ahead every time before you play a shot.

In the late 1980's I walked into a Billiard Saloon where 6 blokes were playing Allies... they put a $100 on the table each, the bloke that started first potted his ball off the break & won $600, easy money ay, better than working :)

Thanks Ticklishchap - Italian or Danish pin billiards sounds fascinating, how do they differ from the usual pin billiards game ? ...thanks for the games site, had a squiz, looks really cool, will have a good look at it later.

Yeah, when sport is rained off all forms of billiards are really good games to play, find them so relaxing too - as you know playing billiards is all about how well you control the cue ball, with screw back shots, stop shots, running top, running side etc, if you can execute those well you're consistently going to make bigger breaks, also have to think a couple of shots ahead every time before you play a shot.

In the late 1980's I walked into a Billiard Saloon where 6 blokes were playing Allies... they put a $100 on the table each, the bloke that started first potted his ball off the break & won $600, easy money ay, better than working :)
Five-pin_billiards

NZbloke: Thanks for your reply. I have attached (see above) the wikipedia entry on Five-Pin Billiards, which I hope you will enjoy.

As you say, all types of Billiards are a very satisfying way to spend an afternoon when sport is rained off, which does happen from time to time in the UK. ... Billiards games are relaxing but also a good test of intelligence, coordination and the capacity for quick thinking.

The Allies game sounds interesting. You didn't say whether you won anything or not?

Five-pin_billiards

NZbloke: Thanks for your reply. I have attached (see above) the wikipedia entry on Five-Pin Billiards, which I hope you will enjoy.

As you say, all types of Billiards are a very satisfying way to spend an afternoon when sport is rained off, which does happen from time to time in the UK. ... Billiards games are relaxing but also a good test of intelligence, coordination and the capacity for quick thinking.

The Allies game sounds interesting. You didn't say whether you won anything or not?
Have played 5-pin billiards before Ticklishchap... didn't realize it was called Italian or Danish pin billiards though, thanks for the info anyway mate.

Yeah, billiards is a good test of intelligence & eye-hand coordination etc - English Billiards is great for getting the feel for angles & touch shots... really enjoy snooker, it's a bit like a chess game, have to be thinking all the time.

Have never played for money in Allies... 3 or 4 of my mates come round to my house to play Allies a couple of times a week, we are all given 30 counter chips each, so the one with the most chips at the end has the bragging rights, giving all the others a hard time for losing :D

Have played 5-pin billiards before Ticklishchap... didn't realize it was called Italian or Danish pin billiards though, thanks for the info anyway mate.

Yeah, billiards is a good test of intelligence & eye-hand coordination etc - English Billiards is great for getting the feel for angles & touch shots... really enjoy snooker, it's a bit like a chess game, have to be thinking all the time.

Have never played for money in Allies... 3 or 4 of my mates come round to my house to play Allies a couple of times a week, we are all given 30 counter chips each, so the one with the most chips at the end has the bragging rights, giving all the others a hard time for losing :D
Good morning mate - well, it's morning here anyway,
There's a kind of fairly light-hearted nationalism with Italy in particular claiming 'ownership' of 5-pin Billiards.
English Billiards was the first one I learned. We had a Billiard Table in the House at the boys' boarding school I attended (you have similar British-modelled schools in NZ) and also in the Mess Room for Corps (Wednesday afternoon activity: we all belonged to either Army, Navy or RAF sections). When Rugger (as we called it) was rained off, or Cricket matches for that matter, I would either head for one of those two Billiard rooms or the library. Usually the Billiard Rooms I have to say.
Snooker is popular as a pub game here. You're right about the need to think. I agree with your comment about English Billiards and it's the form to which I have the strongest attachment.

Good morning mate - well, it's morning here anyway,
There's a kind of fairly light-hearted nationalism with Italy in particular claiming 'ownership' of 5-pin Billiards.
English Billiards was the first one I learned. We had a Billiard Table in the House at the boys' boarding school I attended (you have similar British-modelled schools in NZ) and also in the Mess Room for Corps (Wednesday afternoon activity: we all belonged to either Army, Navy or RAF sections). When Rugger (as we called it) was rained off, or Cricket matches for that matter, I would either head for one of those two Billiard rooms or the library. Usually the Billiard Rooms I have to say.
Snooker is popular as a pub game here. You're right about the need to think. I agree with your comment about English Billiards and it's the form to which I have the strongest attachment.
Giday mate - yeah, gets a bit confusing with our different time zones... at the moment it's 10.20am {nzt} here.

Like the light-hearted banter with England & Italy over 5-pin billiards :) first one I learned was 8Ball pool - but reckon the best one to start with is English Billiards like you did, as you're going to improve your all-round game faster.
Yeah, we have similar boarding schools - sounds pretty cool though that your midweek activity in the arvo was that you either belonged to Army, Navy or RAF sections, also ideal you could play billiards if the rugby or cricket was rained off.
That's great you can play snooker in the pubs, we only have pool tables in our local pubs... good having a bit of a yak to you mate.

Last edited:
Giday mate - yeah, gets a bit confusing with our different time zones... at the moment it's 10.20am {nzt} here.

Like the light-hearted banter with England & Italy over 5-pin billiards :) first one I learned was 8Ball pool - but reckon the best one to start with is English Billiards like you did, as you're going to improve your all-round game faster.
Yeah, we have similar boarding schools - sounds pretty cool though that your midweek activity in the arvo was that you either belonged to Army, Navy or RAF sections, also ideal you could play billiards if the rugby or cricket was rained off.
That's great you can play snooker in the pubs, we only have pool tables in our local pubs... good having a bit of a yak to you mate.
Giday to you too mate . It's 10.20 pm here, Saturday night and I've just seen your message. It's a great thing about the internet that you can make new friends with shared interests across the world. I haven't been to NZ I'm afraid but I was born in Melbourne as my father worked there for a few years. I have a few memories of it before returning to England; I had my first year of school Down Under. If I had stayed there I would have played Footy.

I think we're of similar vintage probably because you mentioned the 80s in an earlier post.

It's true that in most pubs you just play pool, but I've enjoyed pub snooker games and tournaments as well. I enjoy both games but I'm a bit of an old traditionalist and so my favourite is still English Billiards.

Re. the Corps at boarding school, I was in the Army section, which I enjoyed a lot as I had (still have) a strong interest in military history and WW2. It was a close call because I was (still am) very interested in the Navy as well and knew several Naval officers who were friends of the family and thought of them as men of great integrity. Which one do you think you'd have joined? Corps was Wednesday afternoon (arvo) with sports on the other days.

Giday to you too mate . It's 10.20 pm here, Saturday night and I've just seen your message. It's a great thing about the internet that you can make new friends with shared interests across the world. I haven't been to NZ I'm afraid but I was born in Melbourne as my father worked there for a few years. I have a few memories of it before returning to England; I had my first year of school Down Under. If I had stayed there I would have played Footy.

I think we're of similar vintage probably because you mentioned the 80s in an earlier post.

It's true that in most pubs you just play pool, but I've enjoyed pub snooker games and tournaments as well. I enjoy both games but I'm a bit of an old traditionalist and so my favourite is still English Billiards.

Re. the Corps at boarding school, I was in the Army section, which I enjoyed a lot as I had (still have) a strong interest in military history and WW2. It was a close call because I was (still am) very interested in the Navy as well and knew several Naval officers who were friends of the family and thought of them as men of great integrity. Which one do you think you'd have joined? Corps was Wednesday afternoon (arvo) with sports on the other days.
Giday Ticklishchap - as you say, it's great to have a good yak to others from around the world through the net, also make new friends... that's cool that you were born across the ditch, probably makes you part Aussie & part English :)

Yeah, sounds like we're both from the same era... it's an individual thing to what type of billiards game someone likes, it's all about which one you enjoy playing the most.

All the options are really good ones, but I'd probably join the RAF though - interesting you were talking about WW2 history... watched ' The First Of A Few ' movie the other day based on the life of R.J. Mitchell, as you know he designed the Spitfire, the bloke was a genius.

Giday Ticklishchap - as you say, it's great to have a good yak to others from around the world through the net, also make new friends... that's cool that you were born across the ditch, probably makes you part Aussie & part English :)

Yeah, sounds like we're both from the same era... it's an individual thing to what type of billiards game someone likes, it's all about which one you enjoy playing the most.

All the options are really good ones, but I'd probably join the RAF though - interesting you were talking about WW2 history... watched ' The First Of A Few ' movie the other day based on the life of R.J. Mitchell, as you know he designed the Spitfire, the bloke was a genius.
I guess you're right: I still feel a close link with Australia and am proud to have been born there.

All types of Billiards games interest me.

I am of course also interested in the RAF and have seen 'The First of A Few', a good movie. I have an RAF sweater - the blue-grey version of the British military Woolly Pully (ribbed wool with patches at shoulders and elbows) and like it a lot. There is a lot about that Service that interests me but I suppose I have always found the Army's regimental history more interesting and the Navy has been in many ways the backbone of our military.

You're right: we had a great choice at school and I was also introduced to a lot of sports there.

As far as the Forces are concerned, I was a teenager at the time of the Falklands War, followed it very closely then and read all the books that came out about it shortly afterwards. That's one reason why I was very torn between Army and Navy. I also knew a few blokes who participated, with both Services.

As far as sports are concerned, I became very interested in Rugby aged 11 and enjoyed playing through my schooldays, college and for a number of years after that. I played some football but it was overshadowed by Rugger. And there was Cricket in the summer. I wish I had continued with Fencing but I was so busy with the other things. Sport was known as 'eccer' in school slang, short for exercise.

Last edited:
Can understand why you're so interested in the forces through the Falklands war & also knowing some of the blokes in both services... concerning WW2, have you heard of one of our blokes, Charles Upham ? he's the only combat soldier to have received the VC twice.

As a young fella use to play at lot of different sports as well, we all basically grow-up here playing backyard sport like, Rugby, cricket, soccer/football etc, great idea to play as many different sports as you can, then choose the ones you like best.
Never heard the slang word ' eccer ' {for exercise} like it... slang changes throughout the years in every country, an old Kiwi ripper is ' Rattle Your Dags ' {hurry up, or get a move on we're late etc}

Your RAF sweater sounds very cool :cool:

Last edited:
Can understand why you're so interested in the forces through the Falklands war & also knowing some of the blokes in both services... concerning WW2, have you heard of one of our blokes, Charles Upham ? he's the only combat soldier to have received the VC twice.

As a young fella use to play at lot of different sports as well, we all basically grow-up here playing backyard sport like, Rugby, cricket, soccer/football etc, great idea to play as many different sports as you can, then choose the ones you like best.
Never heard the slang word ' eccer ' {for exercise} like it... slang changes throughout the years in every country, an old Kiwi ripper is ' Rattle Your Dags ' {hurry up, or get a move on we're late etc}

Your RAF sweater sounds very cool :cool:
Good morning mate
Yes, I have heard of Charles Upham, a great man and a national hero for NZ, and modest with it. Is he still revered in NZ? I know that things have moved on and that Commonwealth ties are less important to many people. I still value them a lot; I wonder what you think? Do you feel the same way?

Talking of Commonwealth links, how about a combined Rugger team made up of English, Welsh, Kiwi and Aussie talent to take on the Springboks? It would feel a bit like a military victory and would be a great plus for the Commonwealth.

I considered joining the Forces (Army or RN) quite seriously and continued with the Corps at uni. However I was offered a postgrad award to do a Masters and a job with an international charity and so I went for that. I consoled myself with the thought that I had done quite a lot already with Corps throughout my teenaged years and early twenties. In any case, the Forces were being cut back already by then and losing a lot of their best traditions. I still have a bit of regret.

Like you I did a lot of eccer when I was a young fella. It was part of the school curriculum of course and I played Rugby for House and School teams (School divided into houses). I also played Rugby for a local boys' team in the holidays. I played some Soccer in the school holidays as well and still have some interest (watched the Euros religiously) and Cricket for the House at school. I went on with Rugger at uni (and several years afterwards) but gave up Cricket in my second year at uni. It was hard to balance study and sport sometimes.

I also have the Army and Navy versions of that sweater.

Last edited:
PS. Re. the ganging up on the Springboks idea: I referred to the Commonwealth momentarily forgetting that SA is part of the Commonwealth as well, having been readmitted in 1994. However it still feels slog to separate because it was away for so long, although I know quite a few South Africans who are great blokes. For me - and I don't know if you agree but hope you do - the bond of friendship between the U.K., NZ and Aus. is particularly special.

The idea of an ANZUK Rugger team triumphing over the Springboks is bloody marvellous in my view!

Giday mate,
Yeah, would be a really good idea to have an ANZUK team playing against the Boks - ABs have the best win-loss record in the history of the game, but since Foster has had the team they haven't actually performed like the ABs should be playing, when he was appointed a lot of NZers were saying he was a poor choice at the time... he's not selecting the right players, playing players out of position, changing too many players every game so our cohesion isn't much chop, tactically he's hopeless too, he's ruining the reputation of All Black rugby.

NZers will always have a huge respect for Upham, yeah, he was a very humble, they reckon he showed much more concern about the safety of the men he was leading into battle than his own life, that speaks volumes of the bloke - true, the Commonwealth ties have faded a fair bit, but sport is always a good way to help keep the Commonwealth countries pretty close, an event like the Commonwealth Games is a great example... would like to see a slight change to our flag, like a fern added, just gives that bit of kiwi touch to it.

Sounds like a pretty close choice between the forces & doing a Masters & the job... as you say though mate, you'd still have to take a lot of satisfaction with been in the Corps in your teens & early 20's.

Bet you found it more difficult balancing uni with cricket, as it's a time consuming game, compared to rugby or soccer which is over under two hours... at one point at college on Saturday I was playing soccer in the morning for the college & rugby in the arvo for a club, got a bit hectic :) so had to play soccer one year & rugby the next, also like playing tennis.

That's great you have 3 sweaters from each one of the forces.

Good evening mate (although it's morning here)

Yes, I've noticed that the ABs have been underperforming a bit recently and it seems that Foster's the reason.

I'm glad you like my idea of an ANZUK team to take on the Boks. It would feel great. I'm also pleased that you share my values as far as close Commonwealth links are concerned and I agree with you that sport is an important way to preserve them. I agree with you about the fern. It would give your flag a bit more Kiwi heritage and (I think) be more Maori-inclusive?

Upham showed true leadership in putting his men first and not trying to take credit for everything himself. He also did a lot for charity. We could do with more leadership like that now. I always try to follow principles like that in my work; I hope I largely succeed.

Yes, I do take a lot of satisfaction from being in the Corps through my teens and early 20s. It was very character-forming and there was a lot of fun as well.

Cricket was time consuming and I gave it up in my second year at uni. I also wasn't as good at it as Rubgy although I enjoyed it. It must have been quite a strain for you playing Soccer in the morning and Rugger in the arvo. I can remember finding at uni that I had Rugger games or practices/coaching most days and Corps - the same as at school but with a bigger academic work load. It was quite difficult to balance.

Re. the sweaters: I'm wearing the Navy one today. I can give you info about a good supplier if you want one for your autumn and winter next year. They're warm but very well ventilated.

What did you study at college/uni?

Good evening mate (although it's morning here)

Yes, I've noticed that the ABs have been underperforming a bit recently and it seems that Foster's the reason.

I'm glad you like my idea of an ANZUK team to take on the Boks. It would feel great. I'm also pleased that you share my values as far as close Commonwealth links are concerned and I agree with you that sport is an important way to preserve them. I agree with you about the fern. It would give your flag a bit more Kiwi heritage and (I think) be more Maori-inclusive?

Upham showed true leadership in putting his men first and not trying to take credit for everything himself. He also did a lot for charity. We could do with more leadership like that now. I always try to follow principles like that in my work; I hope I largely succeed.

Yes, I do take a lot of satisfaction from being in the Corps through my teens and early 20s. It was very character-forming and there was a lot of fun as well.

Cricket was time consuming and I gave it up in my second year at uni. I also wasn't as good at it as Rubgy although I enjoyed it. It must have been quite a strain for you playing Soccer in the morning and Rugger in the arvo. I can remember finding at uni that I had Rugger games or practices/coaching most days and Corps - the same as at school but with a bigger academic work load. It was quite difficult to balance.

Re. the sweaters: I'm wearing the Navy one today. I can give you info about a good supplier if you want one for your autumn and winter next year. They're warm but very well ventilated.

What did you study at college/uni?
Giday mate, it's a bit after midday here.

AB players have to take some of the blame too - but with Foster as coach the team is a shambles, can't see the players having much respect for him... yeah, having an ANZUK team to play the Boks sounds cool, adding a fern to our flag would be great as well.

True, having more blokes with an attitude like Upham can only be a good thing... reckon people in any type of job should always be looking to improve, do that they will be really focused on their job & will consistently keep their standards up to a very good level.

Yeah, with the discipline they have in the forces it would be really character building for you & fun too.

With you at Uni, playing rugby games, practices/coaching & Corps, sounds a really busy schedule - I could only play a couple of seasons on Saturday playing soccer in the morning & rugby in the arvo... got too much, had to try & pace myself, there was about a 4 hour gap between sports to recharge the batteries.

Would be very interested mate about the site you have about those forces sweaters.

Got UE {University Entrance} at college - wanted to work in the art field, so it was a choice between commercial art or sign writing... chose sign writing as you get to work outdoors & indoors, I specialize in hand-painted signage, designing logos, pictorials etc.

Giday mate, it's a bit after midday here.

AB players have to take some of the blame too - but with Foster as coach the team is a shambles, can't see the players having much respect for him... yeah, having an ANZUK team to play the Boks sounds cool, adding a fern to our flag would be great as well.

True, having more blokes with an attitude like Upham can only be a good thing... reckon people in any type of job should always be looking to improve, do that they will be really focused on their job & will consistently keep their standards up to a very good level.

Yeah, with the discipline they have in the forces it would be really character building for you & fun too.

With you at Uni, playing rugby games, practices/coaching & Corps, sounds a really busy schedule - I could only play a couple of seasons on Saturday playing soccer in the morning & rugby in the arvo... got too much, had to try & pace myself, there was about a 4 hour gap between sports to recharge the batteries.

Would be very interested mate about the site you have about those forces sweaters.

Got UE {University Entrance} at college - wanted to work in the art field, so it was a choice between commercial art or sign writing... chose sign writing as you get to work outdoors & indoors, I specialize in hand-painted signage, designing logos, pictorials etc.
Giday mate - morning here again

Do you think the AB will emerge from this slightly disappointing phase they are going through? I hope so as I have a lot of affection and respect for them.

An ANZUK team triumphing over the Boks would be incredibly satisfying, almost like a military victory but thankfully without the casualties.

Didn't you have a referendum on the flag in NZ? I think the main focus was removing the Union Jack. Would you have the fern instead of or as well as the Union Jack.

It's good that blokes like Upham are remembered as inspirations and role models. We could do with a bit more selflessness in public life here; it is becoming very much a me-first culture.

The Corps was certainly very character forming. At both school and uni, the instructors were ex-Forces and there were a lot of opportunities to talk to serving officers who were great blokes. Also a lot of lectures on world politics, the Cold War (then still going), etc. On the fun side there was a lot of humour (mainly fart humour I have to confess) and banter.

Yes, I remember that at uni I sometimes had sporting or Corps commitments of some sort every day except Sunday when I could sit around being lazy.

I shall send you a link to the Forces sweater site by PM.

I really admire sign writing, poster art and the ability to design logos. It's great that you are such a creative bloke.

Giday mate, late morning here.

ABs will come right, not until we get rid of Foster though... we need a complete clean out of the NZRU board too, vital to have the right people at the top, then they'll make the right decisions & that filters down through the whole organization.

Would be very satisfying if ANZUK team beat the Boks... rugby is like a bit of a battle field out there because of the physical nature of the game, with a lot of skill mixed in there as well.

Yeah, we did have a referendum about replacing the Union Jack with a fern or another design related to NZ, as you know nothing changed... I would've liked a Fern/Union Jack combo.

Some people are very selfish mate, they don't tend to give a stuff about other people, we see that especially in this Covid situation around the world.

will check out those Forces sweaters :cool: ... as a kid really enjoyed drawing { hand-painted the cartoon pool ball on the Allies scoreboard}

Giday mate, late morning here.

ABs will come right, not until we get rid of Foster though... we need a complete clean out of the NZRU board too, vital to have the right people at the top, then they'll make the right decisions & that filters down through the whole organization.

Would be very satisfying if ANZUK team beat the Boks... rugby is like a bit of a battle field out there because of the physical nature of the game, with a lot of skill mixed in there as well.

Yeah, we did have a referendum about replacing the Union Jack with a fern or another design related to NZ, as you know nothing changed... I would've liked a Fern/Union Jack combo.

Some people are very selfish mate, they don't tend to give a stuff about other people, we see that especially in this Covid situation around the world.

will check out those Forces sweaters :cool: ... as a kid really enjoyed drawing { hand-painted the cartoon pool ball on the Allies scoreboard}
Giday mate - or good evening as it's 10:22pm
here as I type this,

Is there any chance of getting rid of Foster and cleaning out the NZRU Board? It sounds a good idea from what you tell me and what I have heard generally.

Yes, the ANZUK versus Boks idea is really growing on me. I enjoyed the 'battlefield' nature of Rugby although it could be painful at times. Did you ever get any Rugger injuries? I
was relatively lucky but I can remember an ankle that had me 'off eccer' for several frustrating weeks.

I recall that the referendum on the NZ flag had a large number of options for the replacement of the existing flag. That made it confusing for many I think. I also would favour a Fern/Union Jack combo. I was hoping you'd say that!

Admire your drawing talent a lot. … Worth checking out those Forces sweaters as I think they still have a 20% offer.

I reckon the NZRU are too arrogant to admit they made an awful mistake, so he'll probably be there through to the upcoming RWC.

Had a a few sprained ankles & a few ' cork thighs ' { bad bruising of the thigh} luckily didn't break any bones playing rugby, use to play 1st-five {10}

Yeah, there was a huge selection of options for the flags, some of them were dreadful... thanks James, will check out that 20% off the sweaters.

That's a shame, Pete, about the NZRU. The comment you made about some people being very selfish applies collectively as well: some organisations become arrogant and stop listening. This happens a lot with politics of course.

Some of the flag designs for NZ did look a bit naive and I thought at the time that the traditional flag would win. I think adding a Fern and keeping the Union Jack is the best way forward: has anyone suggested that apart from us.

Oh yes, I remember cork thighs! The ankle sprain that led to being off eccer for a few weeks was a strange time. It was in the sixth form at school (17-18 years). I got a lot more work done in that time and even thought of giving up Rugger, but needless to say I missed it and went back. I don't think my Housemaster would have let me give it up anyway. Like you I didn't break any bones even when playing at uni or as a young adult.

I must try to find out whether there has in the past been an ANZUK team or anything resembling it.

James