• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Pool C - General discussion

1) NZ
2) Italy
I rate Italy's pack with guys like Bortolami and Praisse(sp?) and Castrogiovanni is a beast, but he's no Hayman

I see this being an easy group for NZ, but Scotland and Italy will slug away for 2nd.

I think Scotland will do it just because they seem to have better finishing off of wee teams like Romania than Italy will.

Go Italy, they are lucky in this poo. Like the Pumas have to battle Irish, Fiji and Wales, and Samoa and England, but Italy just have the Scots

I wouldn't say that Italy are lucky at all. That, to be quite honest, is a stupid statement and quite insulting to all Scots, i'm sure.
If you watch any of the previous Italy v Scotland games from the 6N you'll see that very rarely are they spectacular games. It's like a war of attrition and when it comes down to it, when the games are tight Scotland have more often than not taken the win.
Italy may take it this year in the pool stages against Scotland, i can't deny that, but to so flippantly cast aside Scotland would be foolish.

I wouldn't say that Italy are lucky at all. That, to be quite honest, is a stupid statement and quite insulting to all Scots, i'm sure.
If you watch any of the previous Italy v Scotland games from the 6N you'll see that very rarely are they spectacular games. It's like a war of attrition and when it comes down to it, when the games are tight Scotland have more often than not taken the win.
Italy may take it this year in the pool stages against Scotland, i can't deny that, but to so flippantly cast aside Scotland would be foolish.
[/b]

Does anyone else think that Italy and Scotland may put out a weaker side for the ABs cos they know it's a tough ask and will focus on securing 2nd place?

Depends I guess. If they have back to back tough matches, they'd surely rest some players against the All Blacks.

If not, why not test yourself against the best and test your combinations against them.

Italy for the 2nd spot !!

Portugal are going to be interesting....NZ will destroy them by >100pts surely

<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

Does anyone else think that Italy and Scotland may put out a weaker side for the ABs cos they know it's a tough ask and will focus on securing 2nd place? [/b][/quote]

i dont think, im almost sure!

<div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'>

If you watch any of the previous Italy v Scotland games from the 6N (...) , when the games are tight Scotland have more often than not taken the win.
to so flippantly cast aside Scotland would be foolish.
[/b]

Does anyone else think that Italy and Scotland may put out a weaker side for the ABs? [/b][/quote]

i dont think, im almost sure!
[/b][/quote]

Being Italian, I hope Italy takes the 2nd place. But problems may arise if there are injuries during the other matches (not only vs. NZ, but vs. Portugal and Romania too). Italy will lose to NZ by many many points, trying not to have injuries and is likely to "spare" some key players.

Italy can win vs. Scotland. But the fact they can, does not mean they will certainly win.

Italy has recovered many injured players (especially backs and Martin Castrogiovanni too) but we still miss good backs replacements. Italy has very good forwards, among all roles, but finding a very good flyhalf is still a problem. Thus... I fear the match vs Scotland. Going to the quarter-final round (and immediately losing to Ireland, or France or even Argentina) would be a very important goal, for the Italian rugby movement. But thinking it has been "almost done" is completely wrong. Scotland will be a very tough side for Italy. During last Six Nations Italy deserved winning at Murrayfield, but in 2006 Six Nations, in Rome, Italy lost to Scotland by 3 points in the final minutes...

Ciao
Francesco

what happened to Rima Wakarua? does he still play for italy? i thought he was not too shabby

Rima Wakarua. Now there is a traditional Italian name.

And people go on about NZ poaching players...

Rima Wakarua. Now there is a traditional Italian name.

And people go on about NZ poaching players...

[/b]

:)

Rima Wakarua still plays in the Italian Super 10, at Parma, but the National Team coach, Pierre Berbizier, prefers other flyhalves, mainly playing in the French championship (even D2 and third division). Some of them are actually playing at fullback in their club teams, but are employed at fly half when in the Italian National team.

We are compelled to poach players :(

Most of our eligible fly halves are not italian born or italian "educated". Ramiro Pez and Luciano Orquera are from Argentina (although of close Italian breed); Kristopher Burton is from Australia (his mother is Italian).

The only italian born / italian educated fly half that played during last Six Nation is Andrea Scanavacca who has not even been included in the 40 men to become the 30 chosen players for RWC2007: maybe he is too old (34), maybe he is not very good at kicking, but he is very effective in tackling and running. Many Italian supporters have been a bit disappointed for him not being part of the RWC team.

In the end... I think Ramiro Pez and Kristopher Burton (who regularly plays at fullback) will be the chosen two.

Ciao
Francesco

I know Italy have made good progress in the past year, but everyone forgets that Itallian victory came about as a result of gifted 21 points on poor penalty desicions.

Italy have a good pack, but so do we. Our back line is better man for man - apart from Di Rollo - and I think we have a better coach. Our problem last year was inconsistancy. We would play well one week, then rubbish the next. Even the games we played well in we would disapear in periods. Also, we need to take our chances when it comes to penalties. Paterson is statisically one of the best goal kickers in the world and we really should use him more. We also had alot of injuries last year but the majority will be back. White will be inspirational for us and I'd love to see White v. McCaw.

I'm looking forward to it and I think we'll get into the quarter finals.

ABs for and against should be looking pretty good by the end of the pool stage. :bravo:

New Zealand will walkover this group but choke in the semis, as per usual.

Italy will squeak by with a win over Scotland, but I hate both teams. France will murder either one out of the blocks.

New Zealand will walkover this group but choke in the semis, as per usual.

Italy will squeak by with a win over Scotland, but I hate both teams. France will murder either one out of the blocks. [/b]
who are the abs most likely to play in the semis?

NZ will probably face australia in the semis-I hope we have a centre by then!

Latest posts