• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Pool C - General discussion

Good English there scrumhalf. Can I ask two questions, how big is rugby in Italy? and would any of the Italian players be good enough to play for France?

Italy definetly a threat to come 2nd, I reckon they can do it, it would be like winning the wc for them. And Scotland are crap, dont deserve it considering France/Argentina/Ireland are in the same group.

I like Scotland, like Italy. The last 6N match only showed that Italy know how to finish off an away game after they've been gifted the lead. Their RWC match will be a toss up.

Scotland still have that hurry-up attitude at the breakdown, which is their classic 1980s-early '90s style of play. But I expect their B team will lie down before the ABs and welcome a good, hot pumping.

Italy v ABs could be interesting. They have the pack-grunt to unsettle the ABs at the scrum and in the maul. Their lineout should be just as good as the ABs. And, because of injury, we haven't seen Berbizier's full version of a back line this year.

Kirwan was a great winger, and he fielded conservative Italy teams. Berbizier was a great winger - but maybe he'll have a crack at the ABs with some obscure players out wide. Probably not. At the very least, they have to replace Bergamasco in the centre, because his defence cost Stade Francais a place in the HEC final.

NZ will probably face australia in the semis-I hope we have a centre by then! [/b]
we already do. conrad smith.

I like Scotland, like Italy. The last 6N match only showed that Italy know how to finish off an away game after they've been gifted the lead. Their RWC match will be a toss up.

Scotland still have that hurry-up attitude at the breakdown, which is their classic 1980s-early '90s style of play. But I expect their B team will lie down before the ABs and welcome a good, hot pumping.

Italy v ABs could be interesting. They have the pack-grunt to unsettle the ABs at the scrum and in the maul. Their lineout should be just as good as the ABs. And, because of injury, we haven't seen Berbizier's full version of a back line this year.

Kirwan was a great winger, and he fielded conservative Italy teams. Berbizier was a great winger - but maybe he'll have a crack at the ABs with some obscure players out wide. Probably not. At the very least, they have to replace Bergamasco in the centre, because his defence cost Stade Francais a place in the HEC final. [/b]
what planet are you on. the abs havee the best scrum in the world bar no one. and italy couldn't score the 30+ points need to beat the abs. they won't even get close.

how big is rugby in Italy? and would any of the Italian players be good enough to play for France?[/b]

In Italy, Rugby is definitely a minor sport, although young boys playing rugby union are constantly increasing. But Italy is definitely "soccer-centric", and rugby is perceived as a weird sport. Besides soccer, there are many sports where the Italians have good results (cycling, motorbiking, fencing, Formula1 car racing, where Ferrari is a sort of "national religion"); thus rugby has not many publicity, although it is an emerging sport. The "typical Italian" can't tell rugby from american football :)

Anyway, things are getting better now that Italy takes part in the 6 Nations. I think the main problem is that rugby is never broadcast by the "mainstream" televisions, except for the 6 Nations; and even the 6 Nations is broadcast by a minor channel (La7) that only partially covers our nation. Currently, only the pay TV broadcasts rugby (the national club competition, Super 10, the international Test Matches, the Rugby World Cup, the Tri-Nation, the Super 14, the European Cup and so on): but the Sky TV subscribers represent about 5% of the Italians. This prevents rugby from becoming a well known sport here.

As for any of the Italian players being good enough to play for a major union national team... I think yes: we have some very valuable forwards that are currently top players in the French Top 14 or in the English Premiership. Number 8 Sergio Parisse or lock Marco Bortolami (and some others) at their top condition could well be playing in a national team like France.

Ciao
Francesco

what planet are you on. the abs havee the best scrum in the world bar no one. and italy couldn't score the 30+ points need to beat the abs. they won't even get close. [/b]

Italy and Argentina have big wraps in the North. I dunno about the All Blacks in mauls, they're good at defending them, but not so good in using them to drive forward :p

Italy and Argentina have big wraps in the North.
[/b]

Argentina is still far better than Italy. Italy can play well in RWC2007 and possibly access the quarter finals if they beat Scotland. And that's all. If it happens, it will be a very good result for our movement.

Argentina can really make some damage. In case they play well they could even prevent France or Ireland from getting through the Pool stage...

Argentina could be a big surprise this year.

Ciao
Francesco

NZ will probably face australia in the semis-I hope we have a centre by then!
[/b]
toeava teh answer wit luke inside him. Maugers defense has been crap of late. :wall: :bleh!:

NZ: the will qualify asily , thus showing their power and talent in the way

Ita: Improved a lot in their fowards and dynamic game, won`t fall by 100 points to NZ. I hope their efforts earn the the qualyfication to quarter finals

Scotland: Their value, lacking a great team, resides in their passion They have an inmense heart whenever the play for thei country

Romania: Their game is not very atractive, but winning rugby always provides excitement, and against Portugal they can provide a lot.

Portugal: Their trophy is to be prt of the event. They will thril the pundits , with small moments like scoring their first try. If they manage to beat Romania, it would be miracle

If Portugal can get even a bonus point they'll have done brilliantly. Good luck to them, I can see them being a crowd favourite.

scotland showed some real promise last year during the 6 nations not winning by only a couple of points and beating france would've had to have been a highlight of that tourny... although they really dropped the ball this year beating only 1 of the other 5 teams(whales) and not to mention the fall test south africa vs scotland...scotland only lost cause they beat themselves with tons of stupid penalties.... with that aside i think scotland has a good chance of at least making the semis but who knows these guys are all professionals and on any given day can beat anyone else which is something i really look forward to seeing in september

I personally think Italy will be the toughest team behind the All Blacks in this pool, they are growing up

scotland showed some real promise last year during the 6 nations not winning by only a couple of points and beating france would've had to have been a highlight of that tourny... although they really dropped the ball this year beating only 1 of the other 5 teams(whales) and not to mention the fall test south africa vs scotland...scotland only lost cause they beat themselves with tons of stupid penalties.... with that aside i think scotland has a good chance of at least making the semis but who knows these guys are all professionals and on any given day can beat anyone else which is something i really look forward to seeing in september [/b]
scotland will finsh second at best in their pool and i can't see them going further than the quarter finals.

Scotland maybe have more possibilities than us, but we beat them up in the 6 Nations a few months ago, and Romania and Portugal aren't top-class teams. The only real problem for me is NZ...

I can see them [Portugal] being a crowd favourite.[/b]
Average attendance for matches involving the minnows in the last world cup was about 6 people. Not much of a crowd, but I know what you mean :)

what planet are you on. the abs havee the best scrum in the world bar no one. and italy couldn't score the 30+ points need to beat the abs. they won't even get close. [/b]

What planet? The one that banned the wearing of rose-tinted spectacles.

Last November France matched the ABs in the scrum, and SA are just as good. Italy too.

The pool match should be a refreshing surprise for you. Italy will expose the ABs in some areas up front, but their defence out wide will be torn to shreds unless Berbizier comes up with a miracle. No one said it was going to be close.

Relax - the ABs may learn some lessons that help their campaign. At the same time, every one else is going to be watching for weakness.

I wouldn't be suprised if it was Italy going though with NZ. Italy improving slowly and sadly Scotland dropping off the pace :(

<div class='quotemain'> what planet are you on. the abs havee the best scrum in the world bar no one. and italy couldn't score the 30+ points need to beat the abs. they won't even get close. [/b]

What planet? The one that banned the wearing of rose-tinted spectacles.

Last November France matched the ABs in the scrum, and SA are just as good. Italy too.

The pool match should be a refreshing surprise for you. Italy will expose the ABs in some areas up front, but their defence out wide will be torn to shreds unless Berbizier comes up with a miracle. No one said it was going to be close.

Relax - the ABs may learn some lessons that help their campaign. At the same time, every one else is going to be watching for weakness.

[/b][/quote] France did not match our scrum and watching the trinations south africas scrum was overpowered by our scrum so its not unrealistic to think italys scrum will be no match. we might get a reasonable hit out against italy but i doubt it.

France did not match our scrum and watching the trinations south africas scrum was overpowered by our scrum so its not unrealistic to think italys scrum will be no match. we might get a reasonable hit out against italy but i doubt it. [/b]

Yes they did, but France were so clueless beyond #9 that it didn't matter.

You overpowered SA's scrum in the 3N! Mother of God. When drugs you are taking? And is why your supplier?

Latest posts