• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Possible Chiefs team for 2012

Can't wait for SBW & Kahui Vs Nonu & Ranger

Poor Conrad Smith, he's gonna miss his buddy Ma'a. I wonder if Conrad will still be good in attack without Ma'a.

As for the Chiefs, just awesome that they now have Kahui partnering up with Sonny. I hope they work well.

Chiefs 2012

Toby Smith
2. Hika Elliot
3. Ben Afeaki
4. Craig Clarke
5. Romana Graham
6. Liam Messam
7. Tanerau Latimer
8. Colin Bourke
9. Brendon Leonard
10. Aaron Cruden
11. Lelia Masaga
12. Sonny Bill Williams
13. Richard Kahui
14. Save Tokula
15. Tim Nanai-Williams

front five not good enough

Chiefs 2012

Toby Smith
2. Hika Elliot
3. Ben Afeaki
4. Craig Clarke
5. Romana Graham
6. Liam Messam
7. Tanerau Latimer
8. Colin Bourke
9. Brendon Leonard
10. Aaron Cruden
11. Lelia Masaga
12. Sonny Bill Williams
13. Richard Kahui
14. Save Tokula
15. Tim Nanai-Williams

Don't know about "not good enough". Ben Afiaki, Hika Elliot and Toby Smith could quite possibly be a future All Black trio, just not in the next few years. I agree the second row probably isn't going to rock the world, but it's fairly solid. I rate Clarke but I think Graham is a waste of space in the Chiefs.

Can't see Bourke getting a start over Fritz Lee and Scott Waldrom.
I don't think Save Tokula will be played on the wing (despite being capable) and certainly not Masaga's right wing. There are plenty of other options in Ahsee Tuala. I would be suprised to see Robbie Robinson at fullback with Nanai-Williams on the wing (which isn't his best position).

Chiefs 2012

Toby Smith
2. Hika Elliot
3. Ben Afeaki
4. Craig Clarke
5. Romana Graham
6. Liam Messam
7. Tanerau Latimer
8. Colin Bourke
9. Brendon Leonard
10. Aaron Cruden
11. Lelia Masaga
12. Sonny Bill Williams
13. Richard Kahui
14. Save Tokula
15. Tim Nanai-Williams

Perhaps so, but hell, if they can win 40% possession, look at the backline!!!!

Nice backline shaping up for the Chiefs.

I'd been hearing a bunch of rumors (mostly while bored during the week building up to the RWC final) that SBW was very likely to sign for the Blues. I would have been happy to have him, but a Nonu-Williams midfield partnership would have been a bit... strange. Both men prefer to play 12 instead of 13. Interesting to see him play for the Chiefs. I suppose we (the Blues) didn't really need him.

Now our main worry is if Munro is a good enough 10 to start for us, and if so, who we can have as cover, etc. Anyway, I won't drag my thoughts on the Blues into a Chiefs thread.

Looks like Chiefs and Stormers will be very direct opposition for that no.6 spot; both good backlines (without THE best halves in their countries though), a good backrow but a tight 5 that won't scare the 'bigger' teams overly much. Stormers probably have the advantage of the SA talent in their franchise a bit more spread (compared to say Blues and Crusaders) which means they SHOULD get more points in-conference but we DO struggle to score bonus points unfortunately.

Looks like Chiefs and Stormers will be very direct opposition for that no.6 spot; both good backlines (without THE best halves in their countries though), a good backrow but a tight 5 that won't scare the 'bigger' teams overly much. Stormers probably have the advantage of the SA talent in their franchise a bit more spread (compared to say Blues and Crusaders) which means they SHOULD get more points in-conference but we DO struggle to score bonus points unfortunately.

yes exactly, the Chiefs are like New Zealand's Stormers now!

Nice backline shaping up for the Chiefs.

I'd been hearing a bunch of rumors (mostly while bored during the week building up to the RWC final) that SBW was very likely to sign for the Blues. I would have been happy to have him, but a Nonu-Williams midfield partnership would have been a bit... strange. Both men prefer to play 12 instead of 13. Interesting to see him play for the Chiefs. I suppose we (the Blues) didn't really need him.

Now our main worry is if Munro is a good enough 10 to start for us, and if so, who we can have as cover, etc. Anyway, I won't drag my thoughts on the Blues into a Chiefs thread.

I can ease your mind now. No. No he's not. You'd expect Gareth Anscombe and even Ben Botica to start aead of him at 10, but neither of them will start ahead of Weepu.

My backline for the Blues would be:

9. Alby Mathewson
10. Piri Weepu
11. Sherwin Stowers
12. Ma'a Nonu
13. Rene Ranger
14. Rudi Wulf
15. Isaia Toeava

My choice for Chiefs backline:

9. Tawera Kerr-Barlow/Brendon Leonard
10. Aaron Cruden
11. Ahsee Tuala
12. Sonny Bill Williams
13. Richard Kahui
14. Lelia Masaga
15. Tim Nanai-Williams

My choice for the Highlanders backline:

9. Jimmy Cowan
10. Collin Slade
11. Hosea Gear
12. Shaun Treeby
13. Tamati Ellison
14. Kade Poki
15. Ben Smith

My choice Crusaders backline

9. Andy Ellis
10. Daniel Carter
11. Zac Guildford
12. Ryan Crotty
13. Robert Fruean
14. Sean Maitland
15. Israel Dagg

And lastly and most tragic, my choice for the Hurricanes

9. Chris Smylie
10. Beuden Barrett
11. Julian Savea
12. Charlie Ngatai
13. Conrad Smith
14. Andre Taylor
15. Cory Jane

Considering the backs have always carried the Hurricanes to respectable positions, I am really not looking forward to this upcoming season. We could really do with one or two big signings!

Last edited:
I can ease your mind now. No. No he's not. You'd expect Gareth Anscombe and even Ben Botica to start aead of him at 10, but neither of them will start ahead of Weepu.

.... herp. Derp.

I was assuming we were going to have Weepu play 9 for us. My bad.

interesting potential backlines.

I dont think weepu will be the blues first choice 10. I think we may see things like him starting at 9 and finishing at 10. Publicly Mathewson will be putting up a strong front but he must be ****** to find himself behind weepu again.

Chiefs look good with SBW in the ranks they have somethign they have lacked for a long time and that's a top shelf 12. The last two seasons have been a very frustrating time in particular for Donald and Kahui in particular. That have missed someone with real class and play making ability at 12 and it was no surprise that the backline glowed when Tana got the odd game. All they needed was someone who had a good pass that could draw and pass but all Sweaney ever did was hit the ball up or kick.

On paper the chiefs really miss Sivivatu and Mills. I'm not convinced Nanai Williams is a safe enough option at 15. He' pretty small and isn't the best tackler - he really needs to lift that area of his game to be a week in week out option. Tim mikkelson impressed me at 15, I think he would be a safer option on defense and he also has the ability to break a game open with his speed and change of direction.

What the chiefs really miss is Henry Speight, he looked the natural successor to take over from Sivivatu but was snapped up a year early by the Brumbies. Huge loss. Chiefs are also missing an 2nd 10 option, will be interesting to see the full squad and figure out who else will get a run. I don't think cruden is an 80min week in week out super rugby player yet

Crusaders look the strongest on paper with an almost unchanged setup from before SBW came along.

Highlanders look good too, an improvement I think and not just because of Gear.

I'm pretty sure Weepu was signed primarily as a first five, Mathewson even spoke about it in an interview. So I think we will be seeing Weepu starting at 10 for the Blues.

I'm pretty sure Weepu was signed primarily as a first five, Mathewson even spoke about it in an interview. So I think we will be seeing Weepu starting at 10 for the Blues.

I'm sure he will get time at 10 though I seriously doubt he will play more at 10 than 9 though I bet Mathewson hopes that's the case. As handy as Weepu is, he is a halfback, the best halfback in NZ. And I'm sure that's where he will spend most of his time in the park.

I'm sure he will get time at 10 though I seriously doubt he will play more at 10 than 9 though I bet Mathewson hopes that's the case. As handy as Weepu is, he is a halfback, the best halfback in NZ. And I'm sure that's where he will spend most of his time in the park.

All indications is that he will be played at 1st 5/8th. Mathewson is probably the third best halfback in NZ, but the 1st 5/8th options aren't brilliant yet, so it makes sense for Weepu to play there, or at least start the season there to see how he goes.

The word so far is that Hammett has signed Bateman to play 10 with Barrett on the bench or at 15 with Jane on the wing.

Chiefs 2012

Toby Smith
2. Hika Elliot
3. Ben Afeaki
4. Craig Clarke
5. Romana Graham
6. Liam Messam
7. Tanerau Latimer
8. Colin Bourke
9. Brendon Leonard
10. Aaron Cruden
11. Lelia Masaga
12. Sonny Bill Williams
13. Richard Kahui
14. Save Tokula
15. Tim Nanai-Williams

I love the potential of the front-row, but they are probably are still a few years away from realising their potential. Clarke is a solid player at this level, but I don't rate Graham at all - I feel they will be much better trying to develop Fitzgerald or Brodie Retallick.

Word has it that Bourke won't even be selected in the squad (sounds like he may go to Japan), and even if he was in the squad he would struggle to start ahead of Fritz Lee. I'm sure Scott Waldrom will start ahead of Latimer at 7 - indeed Sam Cane is probably now rated ahead of Latimer at 7 too.

It will be interesting to see who starts at 9 - Kerr-Barlow has generally been preferred to Leonard at NPC level, but he hasn't quite made the step up to Super Rugby level yet. The rest of the backline looks exciting, though who will start on the left wing is probably still up in the air at this stage (I'm sure Masaga will start on the right). It sounds like Declan O'Donnell and Hawke's Bays Maritino Nemani have been signed - I haven't seen a lot of Nemani, but O'Donnell is certainly an exciting prospect.

The squads are expected to be made public in a few hours, so I we will know a lot more then!

The word so far is that Hammett has signed Bateman to play 10 with Barrett on the bench or at 15 with Jane on the wing.

I've heard that Bateman is being considered at 10 as well. I wasn't aware that he has much (if any) experience is at 10. Who would kick goals if Bateman is at 10 is an interesting question (unless of course Barrett plays 15). Maybe Andre Taylor is an option (I've also thought he was a very underrated goal-kicker). It sounds like Tusi Pisi has also been signed for the Canes so he will certainly be another option (along with Barrett).

Latest posts