• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Possible Chiefs team for 2012

BjR

Academy Player
A major clearout is on the cards at the Chiefs next season, with incoming coach Dave Rennie planning to give the current squad an overhaul. - Rugbyheaven

So Ben May's most likely off to the Hurricanes, the front row will possibly be the biggest change for 2012 and the Chiefs. I expect Rennie will bring in some Manawatu players.

1. Ma'afu Fia
2. Hika Elliot
3. Toby Smith

Well Mike Delany's off, and Donald is rumoured to go too. I expect Rennie's gonna attepmt to bring Aaron Cruden with him, which will be intersting. Anyone know of anything else for the Chiefs's 2012 squad?

A major clearout is on the cards at the Chiefs next season, with incoming coach Dave Rennie planning to give the current squad an overhaul. - Rugbyheaven

So Ben May's most likely off to the Hurricanes, the front row will possibly be the biggest change for 2012 and the Chiefs. I expect Rennie will bring in some Manawatu players.

1. Ma'afu Fia
2. Hika Elliot
3. Toby Smith

Well Mike Delany's off, and Donald is rumoured to go too. I expect Rennie's gonna attepmt to bring Aaron Cruden with him, which will be intersting. Anyone know of anything else for the Chiefs's 2012 squad?

I'm pretty sure Cruden has signed with the Hurricanes past 2012.

Most of it depends on the ITM season that soon will start.
Normally we should be able to keep most of our forwards.
The fly half position will be a problem ( altho I don't mind Donald to stick around)

With Nanai - williams we have a good replacement for Mils, just need to invest in another winger and try to keep Tana for another season.

What do you reckon about Nanai-Williams at first five? He looks like he could pull it off.

He is a player that could handle multiple positions, but who will you have at fullback then?
I think we need to wait a couple of weeks to see who will leave and see who the new coach will bring along.

In terms of finding another wing, I don't think the Chiefs have anything to worry about. Ahsee Tuala looks like he could be good at Super 14 level.

TRue, but the games he played this season I wasn't that convinced. Maybe we are just spoiled by what Masaga was/is showing.

TRue, but the games he played this season I wasn't that convinced. Maybe we are just spoiled by what Masaga was/is showing.

Well, Ahsee Tuala got 9 tries in last years ITM Cup, only one behind Masaga (who is brillaint).

And is dogshit. Get Calum Bruce back!!

Bruce was dogshit in his last season for the chiefs. Sweeney is dogshit at 12 this year.

That position has been a real problem for the chiefs in the last couple of years and I think Foster has really let the chiefs down in this area. He could have devaloped someone for this role with Tana out injured and I'm mostly talking about Jackson Willison. But he's used Sweeney, it backfired and the chiefs will get nothing from it.

He should have given the job to jackson straight away and got Tana to mentor him at every step. Not only would they be in a better opsition now but next season too and not just the chiefs because this kid has potential at higher levels.

Right now if I was the chiefs coach I would be doing everything to get hold of someone like Ryan Crotty. Crotty is looking at a lot of bench time stuck behind Sonny Bill and Fruen but he's far too good to be a bench warmer. Lure him away with an offer to own the chiefs 12 jersey and the gametime that comes with it.

Wingers should be fine, lots of tallent in the area though it's a shame Henry Speight jumped ditch to Aussie he was looking like the natural successor on Sivivatu's wing.

Nanai Williams has a lot of potneital at 10 or 15 and a huge amount of skill but some major problems with his defense have been exposed this season. Really hope they get sorted. If so he would surely end up in All Black selection frame within a couple of years.

Leonard looks like he will be gone. Real shame and IMO he will go down as one of those guys who's carrier was impacted in a major way by injury. Barlow is there as a potential big player for the future of the chiefs but he still has a lot to learn.

Donald may be 50/50 to stay and he will be very hard to replace, Renata showed some solid skills with waikato last year but I think it will take him some time to adjust to super rugby - it would be good if he had a year on the bench behind Donald. The choice of coach may have some issues here as well. We all know Renee is a huge Cruden fan and wouldn't have been happy with Donald taking Crudens AB spot partly off dominating Cruden in a Waikato/Turbos game last year.

Going to be a big change not having a chiefs coach from the Chiefs Area.

The Good News is that the chiefs will still have Kaks and Hunga who are current Chiefs talasman and represent all the very best things about the side.

The bad news is that props and mostly locks will likely be the achilles heal of the chiefs again. Isaac Ross likely to go overseas, Toby Smith and Ben Afeaki have huge potnetial but need time and good coaching. Craig Clarke has been a workhorse but to win the super15 you need more than that. You need a world class lock and some good stock around him.

Interesting times though, right now it's looking like there will be more change at the chiefs than any other of the NZ teams. Wont know what the extent of that will be till later on in the year.

Bruce was dogshit in his last season for the chiefs. Sweeney is dogshit at 12 this year.

That position has been a real problem for the chiefs in the last couple of years and I think Foster has really let the chiefs down in this area. He could have devaloped someone for this role with Tana out injured and I'm mostly talking about Jackson Willison. But he's used Sweeney, it backfired and the chiefs will get nothing from it.

He should have given the job to jackson straight away and got Tana to mentor him at every step. Not only would they be in a better opsition now but next season too and not just the chiefs because this kid has potential at higher levels.

Right now if I was the chiefs coach I would be doing everything to get hold of someone like Ryan Crotty. Crotty is looking at a lot of bench time stuck behind Sonny Bill and Fruen but he's far too good to be a bench warmer. Lure him away with an offer to own the chiefs 12 jersey and the gametime that comes with it.

Wingers should be fine, lots of tallent in the area though it's a shame Henry Speight jumped ditch to Aussie he was looking like the natural successor on Sivivatu's wing.

Nanai Williams has a lot of potneital at 10 or 15 and a huge amount of skill but some major problems with his defense have been exposed this season. Really hope they get sorted. If so he would surely end up in All Black selection frame within a couple of years.

Leonard looks like he will be gone. Real shame and IMO he will go down as one of those guys who's carrier was impacted in a major way by injury. Barlow is there as a potential big player for the future of the chiefs but he still has a lot to learn.

Donald may be 50/50 to stay and he will be very hard to replace, Renata showed some solid skills with waikato last year but I think it will take him some time to adjust to super rugby - it would be good if he had a year on the bench behind Donald. The choice of coach may have some issues here as well. We all know Renee is a huge Cruden fan and wouldn't have been happy with Donald taking Crudens AB spot partly off dominating Cruden in a Waikato/Turbos game last year.

Going to be a big change not having a chiefs coach from the Chiefs Area.

The Good News is that the chiefs will still have Kaks and Hunga who are current Chiefs talasman and represent all the very best things about the side.

The bad news is that props and mostly locks will likely be the achilles heal of the chiefs again. Isaac Ross likely to go overseas, Toby Smith and Ben Afeaki have huge potnetial but need time and good coaching. Craig Clarke has been a workhorse but to win the super15 you need more than that. You need a world class lock and some good stock around him.

Interesting times though, right now it's looking like there will be more change at the chiefs than any other of the NZ teams. Wont know what the extent of that will be till later on in the year.

... I don't want to offend, but sometimes you sound like a crazy person.

Really? Makes sense to me...

Rennie is a professional.. Its not like hes going to be sitting at home plotting revenge strategies on Donald. Also, saying that Donald "dominated" him is a bit of a stretch. He played well but so did his opposite, Cruden was the only one from Manawatu who looked any good in that match.

Something like this?

Tim Nanai-Williams
14. Save Tokula
13. Richard Kahui
12. Jackson Willison
11. Lelia Masaga
10. Aaron Cruden
9. Brendon Leonard
1. Toby Smith
2. Hika Elliot
3. Ben. Afeaki
4. Craig Clarke
5. Romana Graham
6. Liam Messam
7. Tanerau Latimer
8. Colin Bourke

16. Dan Perrin
17. Sona Taumalolo
18. Culum Retallick
19. Fritz Lee
20. Tawera Kerr-Barlow
21. Robbie Robinson
22. Phil Burleigh

Sweeney doesn't pass the ball. Him at 1st 5 would be a disaster. Not a good player.

Latest posts