• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Possible Emerging Boks team?

S

Steve-o

How do you think the Emerging Bok is gonna look?

The selection policy for them eludes me, sometimes they are a bunch of unknown players from Vodacom Cup level and sometimes they consist of the best of the rest from the S14. I'm assuming they players must not have a Test cap to play so I'll do my selections on that basis.

1 - JD Moller
2 - Willie Wepener
3 - Werner Kruger
4 - Steven Sykes
5 - Adriaan Fondse
6 - Dewald Potgieter
7 - Jean Deysel
8 - Duanne Vermeulen

9 - Rory Kockott

10 - Morne Steyn
11 - Nick Koster
12 - Dylan des Fountain
13 - Riaan Swanepoel
14 - Henno Mentz
15 - Louis Ludik

16 - Derrick Kuun
17 - ???
18 - Wilhelm Steenkamp
19 - Keegan Daniel
20 - Jano Vermaak
21 - Fabien Juries
22 - Earl Rose

Was quite hard to pick that team. Some areas like the backrow we still have wonderful depth but the frontrow is a bit thin. Can't think of a replacement prop partly because SA has so many capped props and partly because there are no obvious upcoming props, so maybe Connie Oosthuizen at 17 if he wasn't injured. Not so sure about my JD Moller selection either...

EDIT: Because I'm sick and bored at home I'll select a 2nd team which considers of players who have either fallen out of favor with the Bok selectors recently or are up & coming.

1 - D.Carstens
2 - S.Brits
3 - W. Kruger
4 - A. Fondse
5 - J. Muller
6 - D. Potgieter
7 - J. Deysel
8 - D. Vermeluen

9 - R. Kockott

10 - M. Steyn
11 - A. Ndungane
12 - W. Olivier
13 - J. Pretorius
14 - T. Chavanga
15 - L. Ludik

You should get that stutter checked out :lol:

Chilliboy is not an 'out of favour' player imo. He's was consistently picked as a quota player last year. He's very much in the coaches plans.

Would this not be a good place for a Mr. F Steyn or a Mr. P. Spies to earn the captaincy armband? A little training for the future maybe.

Nah, I don't think that'll be productive at all.
Captaining a made up team full of players they don't know, coached by a coach they'll probably never see again.

They'll be in the mix with the Boks anyway, I doubt PDV will risk any of his +- 30 man squad for a game like this.
To add to that I don't think Steyn or Spies will be captaining in the foreseeable future, they not the "type".

1 - Deon Carstens
2 - Willie Wepener
3 - Werner Kruger
4 - Anton van Zyl
5 - Wilhelm Steenkamp
6 - Cobus Grobbelaar ©
7 - Jean Deysel
8 - Duane Vermeluen
9 - Rory Kockott
10 - Peter Grant
11 - Henno Mentz
12 - Wynand Olivier
13 - JP Nel
14 - Fabian Juries
15 - Louis Ludik

16 - Deon Fourie
17 - Jaco Engels
18 - Steven Sykes
19 - Jacques Botes
20 - Jano Vermaak
21 - Meyer Bosman
22 - Jaco Pretorius

I thought that 12 was being touted as having a shot at the test jersey?
I always used to pronounce his name Wynard Oliver, but then I hear everyone calling him Vynon Oliffeer. And wasn't he **** before?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cyRil of Ospreylia @ May 9 2009, 12:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I thought that 12 was being touted as having a shot at the test jersey?
I always used to pronounce his name Wynard Oliver, but then I hear everyone calling him Vynon Oliffeer. And wasn't he **** before?[/b]

He has always been pretty good, but he isn't going to get a starting place. I do think he will make the test team as a reserve though. Our best centre pairing is definitely Jean de Villiers and Jacques Fourie. They are, in my opinion, the best centre pairing in the world right now, and hopefully de Villiers sees it that way too.

There is a lot of talk about playing Fourie at 15, and giving the 13 jersey to Adrian Jacobs. That would be one helluva mistake i think. Just play Francois Steyn at 15, or even Stephan Terreblanche. But yeah, time will tell...

I'd have thought some of the u20's would get a chance, mainly a winger who I was impressed with in the u20's World Cup called year who I think is called Cecil Afrika.

What about that number 8 that's supposed to be the next big thing who turned out for the BaaBaas in the autumn? His name escapes me atm.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thingimubob @ May 10 2009, 01:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I'd have thought some of the u20's would get a chance, mainly a winger who I was impressed with in the u20's World Cup called year who I think is called Cecil Afrika.[/b]
Yeah me too, unfortunately Afrika doesn't have a contract with any Super Rugby franchise, which IMO puts him down the pecking order somewhat.

But like I said in my first post the selection policy for the Emerging Boks seems to vary.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cyRil of Ospreylia @ May 10 2009, 01:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
What about that number 8 that's supposed to be the next big thing who turned out for the BaaBaas in the autumn? His name escapes me atm.[/b]
That would be Nick Koster. He was moved to the wing in the Stormers recently and played very well against the Sharks. Unfortunately he's injured at the moment but I put him in at 11 nonetheless.

Kankowski?
Did he fizzle out or is he just not tall enough for the South African back row? I've always thought he was a player well worth keeping my eye on.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dundeesmiffy @ May 10 2009, 01:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Kankowski?
Did he fizzle out or is he just not tall enough for the South African back row? I've always thought he was a player well worth keeping my eye on.[/b]

193 cm? There's nothing short about that!
He hasn't fizzled out at all. He was robbed last year when Spies got given the no.8 jersey, for no reason besides his reputation.
He's played very well for the Sharks this year, again, but this time it's neck-and-neck between him and Spies. Either one could get the spot.

Olivier has played well this season but isnt the most skillful, a bit to 1 dimensional to be a regular Bok centre plus he's up against God De Villiers ;)

Aye, I always thought he was shorter*. I'd give him equal standing to Kankowski, I think he's a little faster maybe but Spies has gained enough international fact-time to quantify being picked too. I think with the right training they could both be suitable wing-forward too, that way you can have both of them on the field if you really need them.

*6'3 though? That's probably just too short for some people, notably the stoics...who still have a disturbingly abundant say in what goes in with rugby these days.

Wing-forward? Sorry not clued up with that term.

... the Bulls have played Spies on the wing before though, last year in the CC was the last time I saw.

wing-forward is a flanker. I was actually looking over position names there a while back. From now on my no.8s will be eight-men, my hookers rakes and the fullback morphs into the mighty CUSTODIAN!

Cecil Afrika is a sevens player now isn't he ?

I would like to see Conrad Hoffman maybe also get a crack at the number 9 jersey, anyone know what happened to the lad ?