• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Pre-season Thread

Ehm I was taking the **** with my statement just incase that captain obvious was directed at me haha :p

Connacht are playing Dave Strettle's Saracens on Saturday. This is the Westies team:

T OHalloran; T Nathan, N Taauso, E Griffin, F Carr; M Nikora, F Murphy; R Loughney, A Flavin, J Hagan; M Swift, B Upton; A Browne, R Ofisa, E Taylor.
Replacements (from): D Murphy, R Sweeney, B Wilkinson, D Nolan, D Buckley, M McComish, S Conneely, C Willis, I Keatley, S Monahan, D Fanning, A Kennedy, A Wynne

Sale vs Glasgow on the weekend,
Mike Brewer says he wants a win (something he specified he wasn't expecting against Clermont) - Similar team to last match except Sheridan is out (hamstring, only missing a week or so) and so is Eifion Lewis-Roberts (ankle surgery, will miss the rest of preseason and first two weeks of Aviva). Gives Aston Croall and Karena Wihongi their chance to shine. I think they'll do well, a front row of Croall Briggs and Wihongi is an exciting prospect - the props are huage and strong scrummagers, so make up for Briggs lack of bulk (he's cracking in open play though, so it's good that his inclusion won't take too much away from the scrum, weight wise)

any of these on the telly? They did show Ulster v Bath on BBC Northern Ireland so I guess they might show Glasgow v Sale on BBC ALBA?

Leinster get back to work tonight! Don't miss it! (Odds are every single one of us will miss it. I've got a match today and I can't see Snoopy or Log forking out that kind of money for a preseason game)

Leinster get back to work tonight! Don't miss it! (Odds are every single one of us will miss it. I've got a match today and I can't see Snoopy or Log forking out that kind of money for a preseason game)
Too right. Having paid 350 quid for a season ticket, I think another 30 quid for a gentle stroll around Donnybrook is ridiculously expensive.

BBC are naff, they specifically state they're broadcasting the Sale/Glasgow game on Radio scotland, even have a link to listen to it. But then when you click it, it's a music request show and it says "Sportsround is only on Radio Scotland MW, which is not broadcast online" - WHY TAUNT ME?
Luckily they're doing updates on the Sale site :p
Unluckily we're 5 - 0 down after 12 minutes

That's naff :(
Do you know how Fitzgerald did?
Also, do you know if Flutey and Waldouck played at the same time?
I think they could be a good centre partnership for England

Last edited:
Munsster 13 - 17 Leicester, two tries to Alessana.

Bring on Leinster!

A win!
Glasgow 22 - 23 Sale Sharks
4 tries - 3 tries
Very glad of a win, but mixed bag in terms of performance:
A lot of ill discipline - Briggs and Tuilagi both binned (though Glasgow lost a player at one point)
Play sounded much improved. Started out average to poor (scrum was solid, but defence poor, conceded an easy try early on), but then a big change around at about 20mins (sub of about 10players) and Sharks were improved a lot. Paul Williams set up a cracking try with a chip through touched down by Forster, and Tuilagi got another try. Brady got a try from a scrum after Sisa rumbled through some people before slinging it wide.
Peel seems back on form, made 40m with a quick tap, but was help up over the line.

Weird thing: Will Cliff (Sale SH) was loaned to Glasgow for the evening as Cussiter had to pull out of the match, and Cliff wanted some game time. He also set up Glasgows 3rd try.
Wonder if he'll get any stick on the coach back to Manchester :p

On a semi-related note, they announced earlier that they're going to stream all of Sales Aviva games 24hr after them, on the Sale site. So that means if you don't have sky/espn you can still see two of your teams games at least

Last edited:
Leinster seem to have a lot of work to do and allow I'm not bothered about results the scores doesn't sound like Leinster even had a slice of the game. Hopefully just a teething problem due to new coaching team and lack of leaders in the team. Munster not to bad a result considering many of there big players were out, however I hope the younger learned alot from the match. I'm sure both teams enjoyed the run out and will improve and like I say you learn more from losing but gain more from winning.

On a semi-related note, they announced earlier that they're going to stream all of Sales Aviva games 24hr after them, on the Sale site. So that means if you don't have sky/espn you can still see two of your teams games at least
That's cool.

Leinster seem to have a lot of work to do and allow I'm not bothered about results the scores doesn't sound like Leinster even had a slice of the game. Hopefully just a teething problem due to new coaching team and lack of leaders in the team.
Wasps had already played a preseason game and their fringe players were involved in multiple 7s tournaments. They're far further along in their preseason than Leinster are. The game was more about picking up match sharpness than about winning. Last season Leinster were torn apart by London Irish in their preseason meeting at Donnybrook but it had no bearing on the season.

Chelsea lost 4 (I think) preseason games on the trot yet when the real action started, they knocked 6 past hapless West Brom. Preseason results are meaningless.

Cardiff Blues are playing Exeter at some point today, wouldn;t have minded going down to Exeter to watch, but I'm skint...
Here's the Blues team anyway:
15 Chris Czekaj, 14 Richard Mustoe, 13 Gavin Evans, 12 Tom Shanklin, 11 Tom James, 10 Ceri Sweeney, 9 Lloyd Williams
1 Tom Davies, 2 T Rhys Thomas, 3 John Yapp, 4 James Down, 5 Paul ***o, 6 Michael Paterson, 7 Sam Warburton, 8 Tom Brown
16 Kristian Dacey, 17 Sam Hobbs, 18 Scott Andrews, 19 Bryn Griffiths, 20 Maama Molitika, 21 Richie Rees, 22 Dan Parks, 23 Dafydd Hewitt, 24 Ben White, 25 Dan Fish, 26 James Loxton
Nice to see Dan Fish and James Loxton in there, both could be awesome in the future! Will be interesting to see how Paterson and Parks go too.

Latest posts