TRF_Cymro

Cymro The White
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Barbarians
15898.2.jpg

ale Sharks executive director of sport Steve Diamond has confirmed wholesale changes to the club's playing and backroom staff for next season.

Along with Saracens-bound fly-half Charlie Hodgson, Welsh prop Eifion Roberts and former England wing Ben Cohen, 18 other players and four members of the backroom staff will exit Edgeley Park.

Chris Bell, Asaeli Boko, Chris Brightwell, Sean Cox, Rhys Crane, Carl Fearns, Jack Forster, Matty James, Chris Jones, Sisaro Koyamaibole, Selorm Kuadey, Chris Leck, Neil McMillan, Simon McIntyre, Fergus Mulchrone, Kristian Ormsby, Nic Rouse and Mathew Tait are the players cut loose while conditioner Peter Finch, backs coach Byron Hayward and analysts Dan Lyne and Andrew Vernon have been axed behind the scenes.

http://www.espnscrum.com/premiership-2010-11/rugby/story/139562.html

Thats a big ole clear out, but having been off the pace for a couple of seasons it doesn't surprise me...

Mick Hogan (head of sports? director of rugby? one of those sorts of ***les at Sale) said that they've made an offer to Williams and are waiting to see if he accepts, and that a club has made an offer to buy out Wihongi, but Sale want to keep him but at the end of the day if he says that he wants to leave they're not going to keep a guy on the books who doesn't want to play there

Interesting to note that when Jim Mallinder and Steve Diamond took over way back in the day (2000?) they shipped on 20 players and most of the backroom staff, and then won the Parker Pen the next season and came 2nd in the prem
Fingers crossed for a repeat :lol:

There are a few names on there I'm glad are gone (too much cash for too little performance), a few that had to go but I'm sad to see leave as they're nice guys and some I feel we should've tried harder to keep

Anyone have any idea where these players are headed?

Chris Bell - Wasps
Asaeli Boko - ?
Chris Brightwell - ?
Sean Cox - ?
Ben Cohen - retirement if no other Premiership teams want him
Rhys Crane - ?
Carl Fearns - Bath
Jack Forster - probably have to retire early through injury
Charlie Hodgson - Saracens
Matty James - ? (what was Mike Brewer thinking?)
Chris Jones - Worcester
Sisa Koyamaibole - Lyon
Selorm Kuadey - ?
Chris Leck - ?
Neil McMillan - ?
Simon McIntyre - ?
Fergus Mulchrone - ?
Kristian Ormsby - ?
Nic Rouse - Nottingham
Eifion Roberts - Toulon
Mathew Tait - Leicester

Good to see that Tonetti managed to avoid the cull, which is surprising because I heard he hasn't been great. Anybody know how he's getting on?

Chris Bell - Wasps
Asaeli Boko - ?
Chris Brightwell - ?
Sean Cox - ?
Ben Cohen - retirement if no other Premiership teams want him
Rhys Crane - ?
Carl Fearns - Bath
Jack Forster - probably have to retire early through injury
Charlie Hodgson - Saracens
Matty James - ? (what was Mike Brewer thinking?)
Chris Jones - Worcester
Sisa Koyamaibole - Lyon
Selorm Kuadey - ?
Chris Leck - ?
Neil McMillan - ?
Simon McIntyre - ?
Fergus Mulchrone - ?
Kristian Ormsby - ?
Nic Rouse - Nottingham
Eifion Roberts - Toulon
Mathew Tait - Leicester

He only signed on for a pittance of a salary so its not as if Sale threw a bucketload of money at him.
Hes not a world beater but he can be a very tidy player. Was he ever really given a chance?

psychic duck said:
Selorm will probably retire - had a very nasty ankle injury about 18months ago and hasn't done anything rugby related since, just been on the injury list

No idea where a lot of them will go as they were just squad players, I imagine a few will get picked up on the cheap as cover for internationals/injuries etc. but some I can't imagine teams fighting over them

Ormsby could probably get in somewhere if he can get over his injuries
McMillan and Cox would make good squad players
Boko is good but only behind a dominant pack, he lacks a bit of grunt, but is very good in open play - got a fair few tries for the Sale Jets this season - same with Brightwell, with his 7s background
McIntyre is very young (only just out of the academy) so could be a good prospect for a team, but I imagine most would just take a prop out of their own academy rather than bring one in from elsewhere
Crane I think is a pretty good winger, would've kept him on
Would've kept Leck over Will Cliff - Leck reminds me a bit of a young Dwayne Peel, maybe they shipped him on because they didn't want all our scrumhalves to be too similar
Fergus Mulchrone is another squad player, not sure who'd pick him up - can play centre and wing, but has never nailed down a starting or even bench jersey
which is surprising because I heard he hasn't been great. Anybody know how he's getting on?
Y'heard wrong!
With the exception of Paul Williams he was the best player brought in
Best centre we have on the books, but has been struggling with a shoulder injury (having surgery over summer) so will play one week and rest the following
His defence is very strong and because he's quick he makes a lot of covering tackles, and players rarely get over the gainline going down his channel

He only signed on for a pittance of a salary so its not as if Sale threw a bucketload of money at him.
Hes not a world beater but he can be a very tidy player. Was he ever really given a chance?
He played early on in the season, and in the warmups - thought he looked decent
Also played a fair bit for the Sale Jets (the A team) - was never going to overtake Charlie Hodgson for FH though and with Nick MacLeod on the fringes (and in good form at the start of the season) they loaned him out too Rotheram to get more game time, and that was that, really

He played early on in the season, and in the warmups - thought he looked decent
Also played a fair bit for the Sale Jets (the A team) - was never going to overtake Charlie Hodgson for FH though and with Nick MacLeod on the fringes (and in good form at the start of the season) they loaned him out too Rotheram to get more game time, and that was that, really

I would have thought he would get a genuine opportunity somewhere down the line though. If not at 10 than anywhere else in the backline as he is a legitimate utility. Its just the "what was he thinking comment". Hes not that bad of a player..

I agree, he looked good from the little I saw of him, but he's a very similar player (in that he plays the same positions) as Nick MacLeod who was already established in the team

Seems an odd signing looking back him, maybe they were thinking he could be used in case of injuries which never came about (but then did when they'd shipped him off to Rotherham)