• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Premiership Rugby 19/20 - Rd 22

Would have been nice to have seen a teamsheet on Saturday when everyone else posted one, rather than a "we could publish a teamsheet, honest... just trust us on this".
Did Gloucester post a side?

It looks like were told there'd be a delay, so didn't bother releasing the team list (the PRL guy confirmed we had an eligible side) - Worcester did cause....who knows? Maybe they thought they'd force the walkover by saying "Hey look we wanna play"

I wouldn't completely write off Worcester. They've got their first choice side available and are probably not going to be in a good mood. Add in the fact that Sale's bench is extremely callow and they could pull off an upset.

It looks like were told there'd be a delay, so didn't bother releasing the team list (the PRL guy confirmed we had an eligible side) - Worcester did cause....who knows? Maybe they thought they'd force the walkover by saying "Hey look we wanna play"
Yes. They did.

My recollection of the time-lines:
Saints v Gloucester was cancelled before teams were due to be announced (I don't remember if they did or not anyway). ETA, yes, they did.
Official announcement re: Sale v Worcs being postponed was around the time teams were supposed to be announced.

Either way, that's not even remotely the point - we were told that Sale could put out a team, but no evidence was provided - which would have been nice.
Quite honestly IMO, given that both teams were supposedly able to put teams on the pitch, the match should have been played on Sunday - but it hasn't, and the rest of my comment stands.

Ultimately, 10 teams said "we can put a team out, here they are"
1 team said "we can't put a team out, and therefore forfeit"
1 team said "we can put a team out, but we're not going to - see ya in 3 day"

Also ultimately, Bath drew against Saracens - and "by rights" that means they shouldn't qualify. Worcester on the other hand, had control of their destiny; fate, rather than rugby, took it out of their hands.

Last edited:
Fair play, I didn't see one - I thought they/Saints already knew of the cancellation

I don't think Worcester winning would be an upset, they should be favourites.
Our front row is 1 6 1
Our bench has two tightheads (one a teenager, the other got released a few months ago)
No scrumhalf on the bench,
Teenage lock who's never played at pro level
etc

1 team said "we can put a team out, but we're not going to - see ya in 3 day"
Releasing a team on social media is different to submitting it to the PRL - if we hadn't have done the latter we'd have been disqualified like Saints were

Last edited:
FTR - it's been a real kick in the teeth for Sale; and I absolutely do not blame them for suffering from Covid - or (from the sounds of things) the way it spread around the squad.
However, I do believe that it's been badly handled - mostly by PRL for not following their own rules (as laid out by Steve Diamond in September); and the double standards given to Sales vs Saints - but also by Sale, who should either have forfeited, or put 23 players out on Sunday.

That hasn't happened, and I'd far rather it was sorted on the pitch than by forfeit.

Releasing a team on social media is different to submitting it to the PRL - if we hadn't have done the latter we'd have been disqualified like Saints were
And I repeat by excoriating destruction of all things Sale "it would have been nice"

but also by Sale, who should either have forfeited, or put 23 players out on Sunday.
We had nothing to do with that though - we wanted to play but PHE pulled the plug and said there has to be another round of testing done on the 23 named.

Fair play, I didn't see one - I thought they/Saints already knew of the cancellation

I don't think Worcester winning would be an upset, they should be favourites.
Our front row is 1 6 1
Our bench has two tightheads (one a teenager, the other got released a few months ago)
No scrumhalf on the bench,
Teenage lock who's never played at pro level
etc

Yeah - I saw that Morozov is playing at tighthead. Waller's a good enough scrummager to exploit that.

I didn't recognise a bunch of the names on the bench. If Sale are going to win this, they need to build a score early.

I'm sure they'll also want to sub off their starting players too given how tight the turnaround will be for the weekend.

I didn't recognise a bunch of the names on the bench.
You're not the only one
sweating key and peele GIF

I don't expect us to win, but I'm glad (/hoping, depending on tomorrows test results) it's at least in our own hands

I'm sure they'll also want to sub off their starting players too given how tight the turnaround will be for the weekend.
Yeah, three day turnaround is rough but securing a win is 100% priority - I think most starters will play the full 80, even if we did manage to build a respectable lead (we've thrown big leads away in the past with a much stronger bench)

I assume all those absent from SAle 23 (covid +) wont be eligible for saturday also ?

Looks like both semis to be played on Saturday now ,1.30 & 4.30 as is usually the case.

7 more positive tests, jeeze.
100% the right call.

Usually we get spanked the last two rounds of the season and end up missing out on top 6 by a point - a global pandemic robbing us of top 4 is.....a step in the right direction

We had nothing to do with that though - we wanted to play but PHE pulled the plug and said there has to be another round of testing done on the 23 named.
Looks like PHE made the right call.

Well as a Bath fan I'm happy-ish but would not have wanted to get it this way and hope none of the players have bad symptoms due to Covid.

Latest posts