• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Premiership Rugby 19/20 - Rd 22

1601543699954.png

Gonna be a nailbiter

As an aside: I didn't realise our Tries Against was so good - 12 fewer conceded than the next closest. Guess it shows how many penalties we give away that we've lost so many but conceded so few

I don't see Bath beating Sarries but can see them getting a LBP maybe even TBP.
I can see Sale and Bristol getting TBP wins

All might depend on what team Exeter go with?
They played a 2nd/3rd team yesterday, but they don't need to go all out v Wasps

Quarter finals weekend. Any win will do.

After our start to the season, I'm not convinced we deserve this shot, but hey, I'll take it.
Ultimately, over 22 matches everyone deserves exactly what they end up with.

We're perfectly capable of beating Saracens, even on plastic, bit we'll have to bring our A game.

Last edited:
It's a shame all of the games are on at the same time in some respects as i like the Super Saturday format in the 6N.

I'm not convinced we deserve this shot
This is how I feel post lockdown,
Lots of Sale fans are praying for X or Y to drop points each game, but the way I feel is that if we can't make top 4 off our own steam, after being 2nd a few weeks ago, we don't deserve it

I can't see Exeter going all out vs Wasps - they'll have an eye on their schedule (/Euro gold) and already have 1st locked up. Not to say they couldn't win though - if their pack gets at Umaga he'll crumble, and their 2nd choice is still a strong side.

Us vs Worcester....who knows, the old addage of which Sale turns up. Worcester's first choice is a very strong side, and they're a bit of a bogey side for us in recent years. I could see us winning but not sure on the BP.

Sarries vs Bath I imagine Sarries will go all out to have a proper send off for their leaving/retiring players/their last game in the top division. Bath are better than they've been playing recently, the proposition of top 4 could boost them. Tough game to call but I think maybe Sarries no BP, Bath LBP.

Bristol should get the BP win vs Irish

Hoping for:

Wasps 4try draw
Bath: Draw or 4try + LBP
Sale BP win
Bristol BP win

Everyone ends on 69 (nice).

Chiefs will rest players mayble a cpuple back but Wasps should win.

Sarries go strong...bath lose and are 5th, sarries go weak bath win and make it.

Gonna stick with my gut instinct. Bath to miss out.

And, PRL have just noticed that the midweek matches happened midweek, so all team announcements are delayed until this time tomorrow...
Speculation that some teams might be awaiting Covid testing results - or possibly have had a positive and are working out who counts as a contact going back 48 hours (or have a case where an extra 24 hours gives them more leeway with selection)

Wouldn't surprise me if it was a testing thing
The company that handles PRLs tests came under some flack recently for prioritising "celebrity" tests over public tests

Turns out the delay is because of a significant number of positive results at Sale and we're struggling to field a side - probably going to have to forfeit

well rip Sale playoffs.
Isn't it 10 points docked for a forfeited game
Wonder what happened?
Wonder if Saints are venerable?

Damn that's bad news - I was hoping that the speculation was unfounded; or just a matter of 1-2 individuals and working out who was a contact within 48 hours.
How trustworthy is the source?
well rip Sale playoffs.
Isn't it 10 points docked for a forfeited game
Wonder what happened?
Wonder if Saints are venerable?
I thought it was just a 20-0, 4 point victory to the opponent?
Can't make it too strict or you'd risk cover-ups.

Damn that's bad news - I was hoping that the speculation was unfounded; or just a matter of 1-2 individuals and working out who was a contact within 48 hours.
How trustworthy is the source?

I thought it was just a 20-0, 4 point victory to the opponent?
Can't make it too strict or you'd risk cover-ups.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/53511058

Read another paper at the time saying 10 points per game.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/53511058

Read another paper at the time saying 10 points per game.
Are we talkig about breaches of coronavirus rules here? I thought it was "just" having too many players self-isolating to put out a team :s

Which would mean this one: https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...irus-forfeit-20-0-says-sale-director-covid-19

ETA: And Daily Mail are saying that Sale might not be able to fulfill this fixture: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/r...ce-number-players-test-positive-COVID-19.html

Guess it might depend on how they got it and what did the club do to potentially limit it.

Any infringement will be categorised as "intentional, reckless or careless" and then as high, medium or low consequence.

Not sure what intentional would mean.

I, too, thought it was a 20-0, 5pt, win for the opposition

Apparently double figures of positive tests (and then everyone they've come in contact with in isolation).

Daily Mail reporter broke the news, PRL haven't commented (other than to say they've delayed team announcements).
Obviously Daily Mail isn't the best of sources, but their Rugby reporting is usually pretty spot on.

Guess it might depend on how they got it and what did the club do to potentially limit it.

Any infringement will be categorised as "intentional, reckless or careless" and then as high, medium or low consequence.

Not sure what intentional would mean.
According to your BBC link - it would be an intentional breach of the rules in the link - things like shared hotel rooms, all travelling on 1 bus, that sort of thing - there's no proving how where or when someone catches Covid.
To guess, "intentional" would be only booking 1 bus, or booking twin hotel rooms, for example - reckless might be a language problem whilst booking hotel rooms, or hoping that your knackered old bus will pass it's MOT. Careless might be a mistake made on the hotel or bus company's end; but you going with it anyway.

As far as the DM article goes, there's no suggestion that Sale have breached any rules on Covid

Last edited:
Considering how badly hit the NW is atm (/has been since lockdown ended), it feels like it was kind of inevitable at some point.

One forward picking it up at the supermarket and then doing live scrum drills, or lineout drills, could take out every member of the pack in an afternoon.

Does that rule out SAle playing semis , assuming Bears don't get any points against LI on sunday (long shot that it is). ?

Latest posts