• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Premiership Rugby 23/24 - Rd 7

Form over the last 4 weeks

week-4-jpg.18470

2023-11-20-jpg.18469

Some good matchups this round,

Otherwise engaged during the Sale game, but think that's probably for the best as I think we might get a bit of a kicking - our defence looked awful vs Falcons and our scrum has been a mess all season, two areas where Bath are very well stocked to exploit

Some good matchups this round,

Otherwise engaged during the Sale game, but think that's probably for the best as I think we might get a bit of a kicking - our defence looked awful vs Falcons and our scrum has been a mess all season, two areas where Bath are very well stocked to exploit
And yet... Sale are in good form, and sitting top of the table; whilst Bath look like they're doing a bit of rotation (we already know that Lawrence has a holiday booked for this weekend).
Oh, and Bath aren't great at the scrum - decent props, but no power coming through from the 2nd row.

Awful defence you say? Then I genuinely hope we're not rotating Spencer & Russell out (or Redpath, put those 3 inside Mojo and we have real promise)

Oh, and Bath aren't great at the scrum - decent props, but no power coming through from the 2nd row.

Awful defence you say? Then I genuinely hope we're not rotating Spencer & Russell out (or Redpath, put those 3 inside Mojo and we have real promise)
We're kind of the opposite, with decent power in the locks but our props getting twisted all over the place - hopefully we start SiMac and Schonert and Schonert miraculously finds his form of last season. An Obano/Du Toit prop pairing is scary regardless of who's behind them

And yeah defence last game was terrible, and was in the kicking vs Exeter as well - been good in the other games though, tbf. Hoping last week was a bit of complacency (as weird as it is to be wishing for poor attitude) - intensity just looked off all game, and that's usually something we have in shedloads

Really hope this is the game for us to break our away losing streak but Kingston Park on a cold, murky Sunday always feels tough. Will Falcons have their Argentinians back in the squad? I would prefer that as the youths looked very promising against Sale last week .

Sale Sharks Starting XV:
15. Joe Carpenter, 14. Tom Roebuck, 13. Rob du Preez, 12. Sam Bedlow, 11. Arron Reed, 10. George Ford, 9. Gus Warr; 1. Bevan Rodd, 2. Luke Cowan-Dickie, 3. Nick Schonert, 4. Cobus Wiese, 5. Jonny Hill, 6. Ernst van Rhyn, 7. Ben Curry ©, 8. Dan du Preez.

Replacements:
16. Agustin Creevy, 17. Si McIntyre, 18. James Harper, 19. Josh Beaumont, 20. Sam Dugdale, 21. Nye Thomas, 22. Sam James, 23. Tom O'Flaherty.

Sale Sharks Starting XV:
15. Joe Carpenter, 14. Tom Roebuck, 13. Rob du Preez, 12. Sam Bedlow, 11. Arron Reed, 10. George Ford, 9. Gus Warr; 1. Bevan Rodd, 2. Luke Cowan-Dickie, 3. Nick Schonert, 4. Cobus Wiese, 5. Jonny Hill, 6. Ernst van Rhyn, 7. Ben Curry ©, 8. Dan du Preez.

Replacements:
16. Agustin Creevy, 17. Si McIntyre, 18. James Harper, 19. Josh Beaumont, 20. Sam Dugdale, 21. Nye Thomas, 22. Sam James, 23. Tom O'Flaherty.
Ref: Karl Dickson (80th game)
TJs: George Selwood & Jamie Leahy
TMO: David Rose

Bath:
1 Thomas du Toit
2 Niall Annett
3 Johannes Jonker
4 Josh McNally
5 GJ van Velze ©
6 Ewan Richards
7 Chris Cloete
8 Jaco Coetzee

09 Louis Schreuder
10 Finn Russell
11 Matt Gallagher
12 Will Butt
13 Max Ojomoh
14 Ruaridh McConnochie
15 Tom de Glanville

16 Tom Dunn, 17 Juan Schoeman, 18 Archie Griffin, 19 Fergus Lee-Warner, 20 Nahum Merigan
21 Ben Spencer, 22 Orlando Bailey, 23 Cameron Redpath

Unfortunately, Warr vs Schreuder only has one winner.
On the other hand, good to see Richards involved, even if in the wrong position (IMO).
Also good to see Cloete back from injury - let's hope he & McNally can use their grown-up heads this weekend.
Bath in general, a bit more heavily rotated than I would have liked. I guess we're looking at this trip as being "a LBP would be nice, but not essential)"

Last edited:
Really hope this is the game for us to break our away losing streak but Kingston Park on a cold, murky Sunday always feels tough. Will Falcons have their Argentinians back in the squad? I would prefer that as the youths looked very promising against Sale last week .
I wouldnt bring them all back...

Id keep the majority of the team from last week...give them gametime together. We had some beef in the pack. Just need to get the attack going.

Saints:
15 Hendy;
14 Sleightholme,
13 Freeman,
12 Dingwall,
11 Ramm;
10 Furbank,
9 Mitchell;

1 E Waller,
2 S Matavesi,
3 Davison;
4 Munga,
5 Coles;
6 Lawes,
7 Pearson,
8 Ludlam (c).

Replacements: Cruse, A Waller, Millar Mills, Lockett, Scott-Young, James, Savala, Litchfield.

Harlequins:
15 Green;
14 Murley,
13 Joseph,
12 Esterhuizen,
11 Lynagh;
10 Smith,
9 Care;

1 Baxter,
2 Walker,
3 Lewis;
4 Herbst,
5 Hammond;
6 Lamb,
7 Evans,
8 Dombrandt ©.

Replacements: Jibulu, Garcia Botta, Chawatama, Cunningham-South, Chisholm, Porter, Evans, Beard.

That is not the Bath side that I expected
With Dickson as ref, it doesn't really matter how good either team is - it'll come down to a coin toss anyway :(
FTR, this is said more in jest than seriousness, he's a poor ref, but he's not as bad as I'm making out above.

Falcons v Exeter
1-Brantingham
2-Blamire
3-Bello
4-Hawkins
5-McDonald
6-Rubiolo
7-Pepper
8-Chick

9-Elliot
10-Johnson
11-Stephens
12-Hutchinson
13-Moroni
14-Radwan
15-Penny

16-Byrne,17-Brocklebank 18-McCallum 19-VDW 20-Cross 21-O'Sullivan 22-Jennings 23- Brown

15 Tommy Wyatt,
14 Immanuel Feyi-Waboso,
13 Henry Slade,
12 Joe Hawkins,
11 Ben Hammersley,
10 Harvey Skinner,
9 Tom Cairns;

1 Scott Sio,
2 Jack Yeandle,
3 Ehren Painter,
4 Rusi Tuima,
5 Dafydd Jenkins (captain),
6 Jacques Vermeulen,
7 Ethan Roots,
8 Aidon Davis

Great to see Sleightholme back...he's a winger I've wanted in the Engkand set up for a long time.

England have some good options..two of whom have scored already tonight.

Great to see Sleightholme back...he's a winger I've wanted in the Engkand set up for a long time.

England have some good options..two of whom have scored already tonight.
Murley and freeman have to be in the England team for the 6 nations.

Murley and freeman have to be in the England team for the 6 nations.
In the squad yes..the team will be interesting.

I'd rather he looked at a younger winger than Watson who looks increasingly injury prone..so Murley or Sleightholme efc...

Freeman well he's looking the part at 13..so he'd have to oust Lawrence...

Latest posts