• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Premiership Rugby 20/21 - Semi-Finals

Chiefs are heavy favourites with the bookies (1.33 vs 3.40, handicap reckons they'll win by 7+)
Also firm favourites for the trophy (1.83 vs 3.30 vs 6.50 vs 10.0, for the top 4)

So as much as they want to be the underdogs...
Dave Ewers: Exeter flanker cited for dangerous tackle after Sale yellow card - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/57470278

Naa not anymore, not heard anything on Kirstens head injury but 2 clear bans plus possible injury all to our pack, going to be a tough day.

Jack Nowell potentially fit is a boost though.

AJ confirmed out - meniscus injury, waiting to see if it needs surgery
Cam Neild confirmed out - more manageable, I think he would've been on the bench at most for the semi (but realistically J.Ross was going to come in for him)
Akker might make the semi, will likely be fit for the final (if we make it) - physios will make a call on his fitness towards the end of the week

Prem are dragging their heels with the results of the Chiefs citings

AJ confirmed out - meniscus injury, waiting to see if it needs surgery
Cam Neild confirmed out - more manageable, I think he would've been on the bench at most for the semi (but realistically J.Ross was going to come in for him)
Akker might make the semi, will likely be fit for the final (if we make it) - physios will make a call on his fitness towards the end of the week

Prem are dragging their heels with the results of the Chiefs citings
No way we are getting Ewers or Skinner, both were shoulder direct to head with what most would say (inc me) should have been 2 reds

Dave Ewers: Exeter flanker cited for dangerous tackle after Sale yellow card - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/57470278

Naa not anymore, not heard anything on Kirstens head injury but 2 clear bans plus possible injury all to our pack, going to be a tough day.

Jack Nowell potentially fit is a boost though.
Theres your back row replacement for Ewers ;)

See a few years ago i definitely would have had him in the squad...but i think that ship has sailed...especially with the talent we have coming through in the back row.

Baxter's having a wobbly

I think he's got a point to be fair. But he's stuffed due to the fact that potential litigation is going to drive the direction of the game. Ultimately it doesn't matter how much current players wish to play a game that involves giving each other brain damage World Rugby cannot allow that. If they do, they'll be sued out of existence. There have been some absolute nonsense red cards but Ewers isn't really one of those. He absolutely smashed a bloke in the head.

Given the current climate it's unbelievable (bar ref competence) that Ewers wasn't red carded on the pitch. I feel for the guy, he's clearly not a dirty player but he does favour upright tackling (at which he's awesome). That type of player evolves or will be driven out of the game through sanction. Or coaches like Baxter need to live with the risk of playing them.

I think he's got a point to be fair. But he's stuffed due to the fact that potential litigation is going to drive the direction of the game. Ultimately it doesn't matter how much current players wish to play a game that involves giving each other brain damage World Rugby cannot allow that. If they do, they'll be sued out of existence. There have been some absolute nonsense red cards but Ewers isn't really one of those. He absolutely smashed a bloke in the head.

Given the current climate it's unbelievable (bar ref competence) that Ewers wasn't red carded on the pitch. I feel for the guy, he's clearly not a dirty player but he does favour upright tackling (at which he's awesome). That type of player evolves or will be driven out of the game through sanction. Or coaches like Baxter need to live with the risk of playing them.
I don't think he really has a point. His bit about the inconsistency is not his main point. He feels that players like Ewers who have never been carded should be treated differently. That is inconsistent. While some refs are inconsistent (and will always be to some degree), everyone knows the rules now and they should know if they tackle upright like that, they run the risk of making contact to the head. It's also clear that it is being driven for player safety. Saying that it's just because older players are suing is misleading. Yes rugby wants to avoid law suits, but they also do have player welfare in mind. If they were just worried about lawsuits they could get the players to sign a contract saying they are aware of the risks and are happy to take them (I'm sure there are issues with this, but hopefully you get my point). The game has a huge issue and it has been shown that older players are suffering long term effects from repeated head injuries. Saying that players now should be allowed to get away with tackling like that because they are playing now is a joke. That's not putting player safety first. It's been said before you can't listen to players now who want to play on even if they've got a concussion, because they aren't objective and they can't fully appreciate the damage they will do to themselves when they are older. If rugby puts players first now, then it will only lead to more injuries based on Baxter's view.

I guess it was inconsistent from dickson because he got the cards the wrong way round. Although I can see why Skinners could easily be a red deffo more mitigation than ewers.

I agree Dickson was inconsistent. What I disagree with is that is what Baxter is saying. For me the article was less about consistency and more that current players are being essentially punished for what older players are going through and because they are suing the RFU.

Baxter is looking a fool IMO, not receiving a card previously is only relevant in that it means he isn't a serial offender being punished so the minimum sanction should probably be applied, he seems to think it should be a mark against with no punishment, honestly he some how thinks that because some of his squad get a card at the worst time possible it's somehow someone else's fault and the systems broke..

Coach and player from the current champions protest that they can't hit people in the head and get away with it, because selfish ex-pros with their early onset dementia have spoiled all the fun.

Not a great look for the game.

Latest posts