• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Premiership Rugby 21/22 - Rd 12

Shame about the result today but not overly disappointed about it (bar Olyy cursing Singleton of course ;)) despite wasting a few chances. The missed one from R Ruskin would have been incredible had he got it but it probably would have meant no try for Ruan on his 100th game. Considering we spent more or less all of the second half on our own line to only concede one try against a side like Quins is a heck of an improvement from previous seasons so overall I'll take the losing bonus.

As for Ludlow, good player although he still has the occasional brain fart but nowhere near as many as he was having a couple of years back. I'm more concerned about whether 36 will be cited or not. Also quite pleased to see some of the crowd give Meehan a clap off when he was replaced given the amount of stick he does seem to get from a few of the fanbase.

Still mad that we are in the top 4 especially as I was happy with a top 8 finish this season due to it being a rebuild one for us. We probably don't stand a chance away to Saracens next week so if we come away with anything from that I'll be over the moon.
I'd have thought Ackermann is much more likely to be cited. I was genuinely amazed he didn't get a card at the time.

No it's not...and I've given Dean the benefit so often due to the lack of funds that we struggle to attract players and build a decent squad.

But that cant be said anymore....we HAVE a decent squad yet once again...attack is abysmal. Its almost that they hope for individual brilliance to save the day....Sinotti, or Goneva or these days Radwan...

But it's also the instructions....players look like they are following instructions...keep it tight...don't open it up and attack.

It's just so bizarre.

No relegation...be prepared to have a go!!
I do get where you're coming from, but I think it's still a bit harsh.

Given the conditions today, I'm not sure an expansive attacking style was ever going to be on the cards.

Time for Dean and his entire coaching crew to go.

Fed up starting a season in hope to see the usual crud...

We have a decent squad now so there's no excuse...and yet we are clueless to score tries or attack.

Deans Instructions are baffling. Theres no relegation so just play restrictive rugby lads...
Guys let him have his moan. With Bath not playing this week now it makes a change to hear a different side being moaned about by their fans ;)

l3hx2eeavq881.jpg
That's a shame, I thought he also fancied scoring some points. Guess neither happened.

Guys let him have his moan. With Bath not playing this week now it makes a change to hear a different side being moaned about by their fans ;)
I used to dream of losing half our games. Having said that, Falcons points for is even worse than ours. That is staggering.

I'd have thought Ackermann is much more likely to be cited. I was genuinely amazed he didn't get a card at the time.
According to the ref, as the player who he tackled was already in touch, it was a penalty only and it couldn't be a card

Seems like we have a new law !

Mental. Yes, Lamb had a foot in touch when Ackermann made contact but it's hardly like he was off the pitch. This wasn't a particularly serious incident, but it's a worrying precedent. Are we now saying that if there's serious foul play but the victim has a foot in touch it's OK?

That's a shame, I thought he also fancied scoring some points. Guess neither happened.
This escalated a bit and Fearns ended-up suggesting that Wiese ended Jon Welsh's career. Technically it might be true, but I'm not sure Falcons would have been renewing a 35yr old prop's contract anyway.

There's definitely a bit of hypocrisy on Fearns' part but highlighting dangerous (potentially career-ending) clear outs might have a positive outcome.

Welsh never played again after that, and it was part way through the season so even if he would've retired at the end of it he never got to make that choice
To be honest I imagine it's an opinion most players hold of Jasper "Callum Clarke" Wiese, he's just the one to raise it - don't see how it's hypocritical

According to the ref, as the player who he tackled was already in touch, it was a penalty only and it couldn't be a card

Seems like we have a new law !
He was saying it wasn't a penalty try and a yellow because he was already in touch, not that you can't be yellowed if the player is in touch
I would've thought it was worth a discussion as to whether it was a card in its own merit, but the ref/TMO didn't seem to think it hit the threshold

I do get where you're coming from, but I think it's still a bit harsh.

Given the conditions today, I'm not sure an expansive attacking style was ever going to be on the cards.
But it's not just this game...its a consistent for years. Over reliance on individual brilliance rather than actual team attacking ability and tactics.

We're in 8th place. Would I want that at the start of the season...yes..but would I be happy with our attack...absolutely not.

I need to see improvement in that area.

Moaning over....

At least we have another 5 young academy lads In the England u20s again.

Last edited:
Welsh never played again after that, and it was part way through the season so even if he would've retired at the end of it he never got to make that choice
To be honest I imagine it's an opinion most players hold of Jasper "Callum Clarke" Wiese, he's just the one to raise it - don't see how it's hypocritical

He was saying it wasn't a penalty try and a yellow because he was already in touch, not that you can't be yellowed if the player is in touch
I would've thought it was worth a discussion as to whether it was a card in its own merit, but the ref/TMO didn't seem to think it hit the threshold

Welsh hadnt played a pro game for like 3 years prior to that game.

It was certainly a dirty hit yeh, but it was a no arms clear out from the side with no head contact what would be realistic outcome of that?

Also to compare it to a player who hyperextended the arm of another player is imo ridiculous. Might as well call Dan Du Preez Calum Clarke.

Hypocritical because Fearns is hardly a saint from a disciplinary POV (albeit I wouldn't regard him as a particularly dirty player though).

On the Ackermann incident, I'm not debating whether it should have been a penalty try. I just don't understand how a tucked arm challenge resulting in a shoulder to the head isn't a card because the player's foo5 was in touch?

isn't a card because the player's foo5 was in touch?
Wasn't the discussion specifically about a penalty try/the associated yellow?

Hypocritical because Fearns is hardly a saint from a disciplinary POV
Fearns has had 5 yellows in his career, apparently
Wiese must be close to that since he joined Tigers (2 reds, is it?)

Edit: 5 yellows, 1 red since he joined - that's just the prem though, think he's had at least one card/citing internationally

I dunno, I think it's a valid concern to raise when he's seen his team mates career halted by a cheap shot.
The amount of threads on here when Wiese's been playing for Tigers or SA where people have said he's a walking red card, but when a player says it suddenly it's wrong?

Last edited:
I didn't say it was wrong. I just said there was 'a bit of hypocrisy'. FWIW, I agree with him and hopefully highlighting dangerous clear outs helps to stop them from happening.

On the Ackermann incident, I was arguing he should have been carded, not for a penalty try.

On the Ackermann incident, I was arguing he should have been carded, not for a penalty try.
Yeah, I think the same - I'm just saying what the referee said (i.e. he didn't say a player in touch can't be carded, but that a player in touch before the hit can't be awarded the penalty try - he was lumping the card/PT together, didn't even consider the card alone, so the "in touch so can't be a card" isn't a thing)

Mental. Yes, Lamb had a foot in touch when Ackermann made contact but it's hardly like he was off the pitch. This wasn't a particularly serious incident, but it's a worrying precedent. Are we now saying that if there's serious foul play but the victim has a foot in touch it's OK?
I just watched it again and I don't think he was in touch. Looking at the slow-mo from behind Lamb his feet were in the air at point of contact so still in play.
I'm not sure it should have been a penalty try as I'm think Lamb was going out anyway but, possibly should still have been a card at minimum, probably a red as the shoulder mad contact with the head and no attempt was made to wrap the arms!

Maybe. Lamb's head was probably not much above waist height by the point of impact though so I think there was enough to mitigate it down to a yellow. To give nothing was just outright bizarre though. Particularly when you consider how soft Lawday's was. Yes, a technical offence is cynical, but not more than a shoulder to the head.

Anyway … welcome.

Still find it crazy your biggest talent didn't even make the England age grades.
Do you mean Radwan? Yeah he was actually dropped by the Falcons academy when he was 18. He got his head down and trained hard and re-trialed....and hes now an England squad member.

Iwan Stephens is a real class act aswell...very much like Green of Quins at FB. He will probably be an England U20 player...then move to Wales and become a Welsh legend. He could be that good!