• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Premiership Rugby 22/23 - Rd 13

Any abuse that Dickson has recieved is completely unwarranted and it's always a **** thing to do for people to attack refs personally.

However, if even for nothing more than appearance's sake, he should never be reffing Quins games. It just opens him up to this kind of scrutiny.

It's incredibly hard for any official to be completely neutral when having links to a club or country. I always found it strange in cricket that the umpires were from the teams competing (I know during covid it changed, but maybe during non-covid times it had changed?). People will always question 50/50 decisions and it even plays on your mind. Are you tougher on the team you are connected with to make it look like you're not showing positive bias, well then there is already negative bias there.

Dickson having played for Quins and especially some of the players means for me he shouldn't be anywhere near the games. No matter how he performs there will always be a question mark above him. Just take it out of the equation.

As for the verbal abuse, for me personally I imagine Dickson and most refs tune a lot of it out. They have so much to think about and focus on that they can't listen fully to all the banter and nonsense the players say. The issue with Heenan is he seems to suggest Dickson did hear and the way he looked and then looked away suggests he did hear. However, none of that can be proven.

On abuse for Dickson...well that's just pathetic and unacceptable no matter the context or sport or even outside of sport. However, in this wonderful age of digital anonymity it's hardly surprising and unlikely to change anytime soon.

Marler says/does stuff to try and get his opponent sent off. For me this isn't sledging, it's just pathetic. I'm all for saying stuff to try and get in your oppronents head or to put them off their game but going after family, immutable characteristics or touching genitalia is way beyond that.

I also don't really get the argument that worse is said at grass roots so therefore it's ok, sure, but is that acceptable? should the elite level of the game not be trying to set standards/example for the lower level especially kids? fights at grassroots games probably happen quite a bit should we just let players land right hooks left right and centre?

As others have said the abuse of Dickson is pathetic, you have to take him at his word (though I doubt it) as you can't prove he heard it but as others have also said he should me removed from officiating Quins games at the very least.

By way of mitigation (pursuant to RFU Regulation 19.11.10), the Panel noted the following factors:

i. The Player accepted his conduct was prejudicial to the interests of the Game.
ii. The Player does not have a good disciplinary record.
iii. The Player has played for the Club for around 15 years and has received 83 caps for England.
iv. During the hearing, the Player was contrite and acted in an exemplary way, in the manner expected of an experienced, professional player.
v. The Player had apologised for his comments to B7 privately. The Panel accepted that the apology was heartfelt and that it had not been contrived so as to be used as mitigation in any potential disciplinary hearing.
Apart from the first one, how is any of that mitigation?
From what I've read in the rest of that, they have no idea about Heenan and only have Marlers word that he's issued a "heartfelt" apology and it's been accepted.

I don't say this word often in life, never mind Rugby, But I hate Joe Marler. I will leave it there.

Strong feelings there, how come?
Maybe hate is the wrong word. Really dislike is about right. Reasons, His incidents. And is all round conduct. I don't find him funny in any way.
I like other sports. Rugby Union is the one where I generally like the players as people. Football obviously has to be the one where you think your own teams players act like a complete prat. Sadly that's is how I feel about Marler.

From what I've read in the rest of that, they have no idea about Heenan and only have Marlers word that he's issued a "heartfelt" apology and it's been accepted.
I'm not sure about that - the "the facts in this case are not disputed" suggests that Heenan agreed with Marlers version

The effect on B7 is unknown. The Panel understand from the Player that B7 accepted the Player's apology.
That gives me the impression they never bothered to find out.

Latest posts